The Horror List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Project)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Horror List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Project)

#2101 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:23 am

I’ll give any stragglers til noon EST to pull together a list, since I get up earlier these days. A spooky thirteen lists so far (so, less than one third the participation of the last round... we prob need to have a heart to heart about the feasibility of these lists continuing in the long-term)

therewillbeblus

#2102 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:33 am

Wow, that’s depressing. Banking on this forum’s passion for Billy Wilder over a whole genre is not a bet I want to take.

Mr Sausage

#2103 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:38 am

Do redux lists generally match the participation of the originals?

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2104 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:21 am

Possibly the pandemic is causing enough disruption in people's lives that participation in the forum is less significant than it was prior? (I don't know if the forum visits are a statistic that admins have access to.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2105 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:23 am

Mr Sausage wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:38 am
Do redux lists generally match the participation of the originals?
I believe the Noir and Westerns Redux lists were about the same, with a large portion of new participants and MIA original contributors to essentially cancel each other out. This time we have a few new contributors, but not a lot and very few returners as well. It’s just part of the severe downward trend for the non-decade lists in recent years

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2106 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:31 am

Rayon Vert wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:21 am
Possibly the pandemic is causing enough disruption in people's lives that participation in the forum is less significant than it was prior? (I don't know if the forum visits are a statistic that admins have access to.)
Quite possible. It could also be people are not in the mood for heavy / downbeat movies like these and couldn’t be bothered to make a list right now. Or it could be very few people participate in this kind of collective activity any more in the days of Letterboxd and Twitter et al enticing individual tastes over collective results.

I think the Wilder list should be a good last chance before I start seriously weighing throwing in the towel on these, because those films, while cynical, are pitched at a different and much lighter level than these, and since there’s a finite pool to draw from, viewing might be easier to organize for members (remember, though I haven’t posted the thread yet, Wilder-scripted films are also eligible since he didn’t have enough films as director to qualify but people wanted him covered— or so they claimed!)

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2107 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:36 am

Maybe it couldn't hurt to ask how many people will participate in a given list, even if it's not binding? (Although I have the feeling I've asked this before.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2108 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:42 am

It has been done before, that’s how we decided which lists were “popular” enough to merit us scheduling... and gee didn’t that work out haha

Mr Sausage

#2109 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:07 am

The problem with doing a vote such a long time out is that people's enthusiasms have a lot of time to change (and, to judge, no one even remembers what the options were, let alone what they voted for). I don't wonder if having a vote closer to the actual list ala the Film Club would be a better gauge of present interest (then again, how often does that work out in the Film Club...).

I have no real interest in a Wilder list, but if low participation is going to risk the upcoming Sci-Fi list, well, looks like I'll be watching a lot of Wilder.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#2110 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:01 pm

I wonder if there tend to be different pools of participants for the Auteur/Sub-Genre Mini-lists than for the larger decade/genre lists? I myself tend to look forward to and participate more in the smaller lists, I think due to a nonsensical psychological tic: if I'm able to watch a dozen new films for an Auteur List, I feel like I've made substantial steps toward covering the relevant subject, wheras if I watch two or three times as many new films for Horror or the 1950s, I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the pile of possibilities. I recognize that this isn't rational (and I'm trying to get better about devoting time to the big projects as well), but I am curious if there are others who tend to favor the shorter, smaller lists — or vice versa, those who can commit to a larger genre list because it allows them to focus on their own areas of interest within that topic, where they might have no particular regard for a specific director or sub-genre.

therewillbeblus

#2111 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:14 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:07 am
I have no real interest in a Wilder list, but if low participation is going to risk the upcoming Sci-Fi list, well, looks like I'll be watching a lot of Wilder.
These are my thought exactly, but in general I find it worthwhile just to send a list even if I'm not as active a participant because it a) documents where I'm at in relation to others and contributes to a collective set of tastes, and b) keeps these projects alive. I would urge members who are interested in keeping these lists going to just participate even by simply submitting a list of favorites as they stand. It's not the ideal way to go about it, but enough people on this forum have seen enough Wilder films to already have a top ten probably without feeling the pressure of finding the time to rewatch all of them. But maybe that's just my utilitarian itch acting up.

I for one am incredibly excited about the three projects after Wilder, and think they will be beyond cathartic right now, and would also really love to make it to the musical redux a few years from now, which is probably the one I'm most looking forward to, so it would be a shame if they stopped prematurely. The Shakespeare project was also strange where it seemed like many people who did submit lists were not even the loudest contributors in the thread, which makes me wonder why more than a few of the most prevalent posters decided not to turn one in. That's another project I almost passed on but was glad I delved into because it was a learning experience. Who knows, maybe I'll find a new favorite Wilder film? (Probably not)

GregT

#2112 Post by GregT » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Lurkers like myself who haven't met the posting conditions haven't been able to send PMs for two or three years now.

DarkImbecile

#2113 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:18 pm

GregT wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:16 pm
Lurkers like myself who haven't met the posting conditions haven't been able to send PMs for two or three years now.
Is there any reason you haven't been interested in posting on a list project that interested you enough to want to submit a list?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2114 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:27 pm

I believe everyone can still PM moderators (which swo17 and I, the two members who run the lists, are), and at the very least you can for sure PM cdnchris, the forum's admin, who can either unlock PMs for you or at the very least forward on your list to me (though I am pretty sure anyone can PM mods)

Too late for this round, but for future reference. I'll add this info to the List Project FAQ as well

...and voting is closed, with fourteen total lists. Spooky +1

therewillbeblus

#2115 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:32 pm

GregT, you can also use this as an opportunity to post your own list of favorite horror films here (even a top five, or one) and then like one other list of your choosing and you'll have five posts and good to go on anything that may or may not be locked.

terabin

#2116 Post by terabin » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:45 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:21 am
I really wouldn’t be surprised at all if this is true.

GregT

#2117 Post by GregT » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:02 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:18 pm
GregT wrote:
Is there any reason you haven't been interested in posting on a list project that interested you enough to want to submit a list?
Message board posting is a rabbit hole I don't want to fall into again. Personal reasons.
domino harvey wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:27 pm
I believe everyone can still PM moderators (which swo17 and I, the two members who run the lists, are), and at the very least you can for sure PM cdnchris, the forum's admin, who can either unlock PMs for you or at the very least forward on your list to me (though I am pretty sure anyone can PM mods)

Too late for this round, but for future reference. I'll add this info to the List Project FAQ as well
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:32 pm
GregT, you can also use this as an opportunity to post your own list of favorite horror films here (even a top five, or one) and then like one other list of your choosing and you'll have five posts and good to go on anything that may or may not be locked.
Maybe after the forum list is revealed.

DarkImbecile

#2118 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:10 pm

GregT wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:02 pm
DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:18 pm
GregT wrote:
Message board posting is a rabbit hole I don't want to fall into again. Personal reasons.
Fair enough... good luck submitting in the future!

bottled spider

#2119 Post by bottled spider » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:27 pm
...and voting is closed, with fourteen total lists. Spooky +1
. Not being much of a horror fan, my list would probably make the cognoscenti wince. So I'm tickled that it will, being one of only fourteen, potentially have a significant impact on the final average. Unless it's orphans all the way down. Anyone else vote for Bambi their number one slot?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2120 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:26 pm

I'm knee-deep in tallying and can confirm that this list is shaping up to be, uh, idiosyncratic. It will not resemble in any meaningful way the previous list, at any rate

therewillbeblus

#2121 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:31 pm

Rats, should have placed my wild cards higher to definitively declare them all horror.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2122 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:42 pm

It won't matter if no one else voted for them

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2123 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:03 pm

I can tell you right now that some horror movie fan web community will find this list and make fun of us... there are significant under-representations of very popular horror movies, many of which fared better last time. But I must preemptively remind anyone from the XXXL Black T-shirt Brigade that we are taste-makers, darling

therewillbeblus

#2124 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:07 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:42 pm
It won't matter if no one else voted for them
Yeah I was joking, though I suspect others voted for demonlover, which was my number one until yesterday so it would have likely made a slight difference in placement for that which is still a wild card even if it's more universally considered a genre film here than outside of this board, or than some of my other picks. Or maybe not.

Feego

#2125 Post by Feego » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:09 pm

bottled spider wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:22 pm
Anyone else vote for Bambi their number one slot?
I actually did vote for one animated Disney feature, although it fits more conventionally into the genre than others. I'll reveal all after the final list is posted!