The Horror List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Project)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
therewillbeblus

Re: The Horror List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Project)

#1801 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 pm

The Prowler ('81): As far as early 80s slashers, this was one of the better, though I'm afraid I didn't detect the same depth of space given to mourning the deaths as domino did in his viewing. Still, there are some great kills, a whopper of a finish, and a skill at capturing suspense with patience which stands out amongst the others. There is a sense of environmental awareness that does welcome a sense of uneasiness at a threat on home turf, and so I can get behind domino's experience even if not quite as much (though I didn't watch this in the context of a bunch of awful slashers so I'm sure there are many aspects that would stand out if I had!)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation: Alright well throw the tomatoes at me because I thought this was awesome. Kim Henkel takes the insanity of the original and the ridiculous acting and decides to double down on the camp and horror. Some of the early high school kid acting is all-time bad, but the lines are clearly written to be self-aware, and the tormentors, including an unrestrained McConaughey, are given free reign to act as crazy as possible. It doesn't need to one-up the original because Hooper's film uses grindhouse filmmaking to reflect an abrasive sharpness that adds to the disorientation and displacement from reality into a nightmare of... well hyperreality; while here we get a less gritty picture with heapings of ridiculousness to make up for it. Extra props go to Henkel having even more wild ideas on his agenda than just amplifying things, and by straying from only aggressive men to cultish transcendental followers and leaders, including a female villain and a business man Illuminati guru, he imbues new forms of unpredictability to expand a diversity of moods into an already overflowing pot of flavor. Highly recommended if you can look passed the horrendous reviews and through the lens of an attempt at providing a new path to the same unshakable horror of erratic human behavior of the first film. Thanks to domino for the rec, as I never would have sought this out otherwise.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1802 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:06 am

I meant that the Prowler lingers on the deaths in terms of dragging them out and soaking up all the gristly details-- they're very gratuitous, even for this genre! And yes, you can tell the difference between this and a lesser slasher, and no, no one should really bother to dig anywhere near as deep as I have to confirm

Always glad to welcome a new member to the smallest club on earth, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: the Next Generation Is a Good Movie club (I'm still sole member of the It's Better Than the Original club, I imagine)

therewillbeblus

#1803 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:18 am

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:06 am
I meant that the Prowler lingers on the deaths in terms of dragging them out and soaking up all the gristly details-- they're very gratuitous, even for this genre!
That they are, the rake is really used to its full potential!
domino harvey wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:06 am
Always glad to welcome a new member to the smallest club on earth, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: the Next Generation Is a Good Movie club (I'm still sole member of the It's Better Than the Original club, I imagine)
I don't know if I can make the jump that it's better than the original, but I've also developed a love for that movie built around its use of grindhouse filmmaking to cut at the audience in ways I feel have been unmatched in their violence towards the viewer. This one almost reminds me of a Happy Death Day 2U situation where they just went haywire in a bunch of different directions with the same basic structure. Even if it was missing the form that sold me on the first, the actual demonstration of the deranged content is so inspired and undisciplined it gives it a run for its money on creativity and atmosphere alone. Basically I could see myself joining that club over time with more viewings, which is strong praise considering how locked I feel about the first.

Mr Sausage

#1804 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:27 am

knives wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:20 pm
That's fair.

I really should have said loved since I do like the Freddie Francis directed one and AD has some silly fun to it. The rest mostly blur together for me while the first kind of just bores me. I much prefer the Frankenstein films, but that again might just be chalked up to finding Cushing a more effective performer. To be fair he actually was allowed to play a character in those films while most of the time Lee just had to say boo.
Part of the fun of the Hammer Frankensteins is tracking the modulations in the character across them, from ruthless and amoral, to self-absorbed, to kindly but abstract, to pure evil, to exhausted and worn out. Following the reboot of Evil you can't even be sure it's the same character from film to film, which has the happy effect of allowing Cushing to change his performance and add a variety poor Lee was hardly allowed in his Draculas.

knives

#1805 Post by knives » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:29 am

Yep. Good summary of why I prefer them.

therewillbeblus

#1806 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:58 pm

With only about two months left in this project, I'm going to devote my time to cramming in as many revisits as possible, but I'd like to put in a word for the films on my list that I expect will be orphaned either because people have not seen them, don't have access, or they don't qualify them as horror:

Benilde or the Virgin Mother

Under the Sun of Satan

La vie lointaine

All of these are surely up for debate, but I can't recommend each highly enough as films themselves, let alone prime examples of capturing the debilitating instability we experience from mystery that defies our logical gravity to any clarity in life. These function a similar way as demonlover does for me, at least the first two, and serve as the opposite reaction to said mysteries that something like The Young Pope comes at with more warmth and optimism while validating this discomfort without surrendering into horror.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re:

#1807 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:46 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:36 pm
Dracula (Tod Browning, 1931)
... One wonders if there was anyone actually directing the thing. Freund’s camerawork is beautiful, its movements so smooth and appropriate that you almost don’t register you’re seeing them from 1931. But the blocking is so bad. The film’s origin as a stage production can’t explain it as the blocking isn’t even terribly good stage blocking: characters cramped around each other, half the time with their backs to the audience/camera. And then there’s the weird production errors, like light blockers left attached to lamps, as though the camera position were changed at the last minute without anyone bothering to change anything else.
I think the sloppiness and basic nature of so much of the movie serves in a roundabout way to make the shots that do work so much more effective; I'm thinking in particular of a couple of scenes with Lugosi in the castle and with Renfield. It's jarring and unsettling after all the conventionally shot and boringly staged scenes in the study when we get the camera drifting down to the level of the unconscious maid as Dwight Frye crawls across the floor toward her making that straining 'laugh'. To your point, there's a lot about this film that doesn't work, but the elements that do work are so effective that it remains one of the key depictions of this character.

bottled spider

#1808 Post by bottled spider » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:34 pm

Since it appears to be little discussed on the forum, I'll put in a word for Brandon Cronenberg's Antiviral. It's very noir in atmosphere and plot, and futuristic -- so a bit like William Gibson or Philip K Dick, although it was written from scratch by Cronenberg. Quite yucky. But, like, artistic yucky. All Christmassy with white walls and red blood. (Fun fact: this movie contains no profanity, according to the IMDb content advisory).

therewillbeblus

#1809 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:22 am

The Exorcist: I hadn’t seen this in at least a decade, and while the deliberate pacing was more rewarding this time, the film ultimately didn’t hold up as well as I remembered. The Linda Blair stuff is still impressively conceived in its perversity, but it’s the narrative flexibility to ruminate in the space of a priest’s needs and emotional sensitivities, as well as the empathy and genuineness in helping others that makes this film good. It reminded me a bit of Bresson’s Diary of a Country Priest in that portrayal of a religious figure who is struggling but still willing to help, however it still struggles to do much with this potential beyond some fleeting moments. Overall a disappointment that was a lock for my list and now won’t find a spot.

Doppelganger: Kurosawa continues his genre-defying track record in experimentation with mood as this turns into more of a comic fantasy. The initial encounter is quite creepy especially after hearing the story second hand in a previous scene, with unprecedented application to this character who at this point isn’t even identified as the protagonist. Differentiating itself a bit from other sources on the subject like the Dostoevsky, this double isn’t treated as solely a threat that assaults one’s sense of identity or existential needs, but one that resembles another part within him that he’s more curious about exploring than afraid of. It’s an intelligent use of a parts-based therapeutic modality like IFS in externalizing the newer ‘part,’ which is extra meta since that’s a crucial part of the intervention process in these types of theories. The playful exchanges are very funny, especially as someone who engages in this kind of work often and grew up around it embedded in my parents’ teaching style, so not only is it familiar but hilariously on the nose in exposing the more eye-rolling aspects as well as bringing a sensitivity to the validation and ‘seek to understand’ portions many will probably overlook. This is all expertly captured by Kurosawa who is generally interested in treating this process with compassion as an extension of his care for his characters, while exploiting its absurdity in a respectful manner. Nothing is too deep though, and this is one of his most digestible works, as well as one of the best I’ve seen. I don’t think I’d call it a horror though..

knives

#1810 Post by knives » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:39 am

Evil Dead (dir. Alvarez)
I don't think Alvarez pairs his humour and cruelty as well here as in Don't Breathe, but this is definitely one of the most disgusting films I've seen in a long while. It gives a surprising amount of exposition at first, but fortunately drops that in favour of gross out gag after gross out gag. Though by having that exposition in the way he does Alvarez further confirms for me that he is something of a horror Almodovar. Like Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down the film plays like it is a metaphor for an accepted thing (marriage there, going cold turkey here) where the idea of doing a metaphor becomes an absurdity onto itself. Though it's not as good as that movie about being more than its grossest parts.

Happy Death Day 2 U (dir. Landon)
This is such a wonderfully inspired choice for a sequel. It basically takes the bones of the original film and turns it into a Joseph Kahn feature expanding the roles of various characters into a weird soup of likable something. I'd say this is an even better film if not for the fact that it would be totally incoherent without having first seen the first.

Trick 'r Treat (dir. Dougherty)
This is a ton of uncomplex horror fun. The Dylan Baker segment is the best because it plays off of Happiness for laughs and tension. The whole film actually is in a conversation with its genre and audience expectations in a way that keeps things intellectually engaging even as the primary goal seems to be how to have fun with the set ups. We get the punch line to a lot of scares before the set up for example. The film also balances a lot of different emotional registers that intimate a traditional narrative in this mix of short stories.

In the Mouth of Madness (dir. Carpenter)
Carpenter in apocalyptic mode really works for me. It's hard to give a cognizant argument on the film's merits because I was just so terrified the whole time. There's a few cheesy moments spread throughout, but that seems in good imitation of the New England horror that is the film's jumping off point. It also seems to make the tension all the more effective and strange. When David Warner is supposed to be your figure of sensibility you know you're in for a wild ride.

therewillbeblus

#1811 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:11 pm

knives wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:39 am
Evil Dead (dir. Alvarez)
I don't think Alvarez pairs his humour and cruelty as well here as in Don't Breathe, but this is definitely one of the most disgusting films I've seen in a long while. It gives a surprising amount of exposition at first, but fortunately drops that in favour of gross out gag after gross out gag. Though by having that exposition in the way he does Alvarez further confirms for me that he is something of a horror Almodovar. Like Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down the film plays like it is a metaphor for an accepted thing (marriage there, going cold turkey here) where the idea of doing a metaphor becomes an absurdity onto itself. Though it's not as good as that movie about being more than its grossest parts.
I didn't love Alvarez's film but I appreciated his audacity to go full-force in the opposite direction as Raimi, and didn't think of it along the lines as metaphor-for-withdrawal, but man does that make this movie so much better to think of it that way! Where the difference lies I think is that in the Almodovar it's twisted into cheeky and disturbing relationship dynamics that disrupts our own comfort with imbuing empathy into a socially unacceptable situation that mirrors the familiar in another way we don't want to confront, but here it's externalized completely into that rancid physical horror as manifestations for the experience of not only the addict withdrawing but the hostages/supports along for the ride, while also resembling the suffocating elephants in the room of harm/resentment and painful history for both the affected and addict as monsters, and perhaps even the stigma and shame as well. Great comparison as usual.
knives wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:39 am
Happy Death Day 2 U (dir. Landon)
This is such a wonderfully inspired choice for a sequel. It basically takes the bones of the original film and turns it into a Joseph Kahn feature expanding the roles of various characters into a weird soup of likable something. I'd say this is an even better film if not for the fact that it would be totally incoherent without having first seen the first.
I also liked the second one more though I still struggle on landing on a decision for it to be horror, even if it undoubtedly has some even more clearly defined setpieces. I saw Detention after this, but you were right to qualify them as synonymous in that thread, which is a huge compliment given how undefinable and original both films are. If this doesn't make my horror list it will surely be in the upper tiers of my sci-fi one down the line.

knives

#1812 Post by knives » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:15 pm

We really should do a sci-fi list some day for sure. There are a ton of fun '50s films that would be good to chat about.

therewillbeblus

#1813 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:18 pm

knives wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:15 pm
We really should do a sci-fi list some day for sure. There are a ton of fun '50s films that would be good to chat about.
Coming in August
Last edited by therewillbeblus on Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#1814 Post by knives » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:23 pm

Small yay as I force everyone to to watch the works of Antonio Margheriti.

Mr Sausage

#1815 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:56 pm

knives wrote:Small yay as I force everyone to to watch the works of Antonio Margheriti.
Everyone’s favourite Bava imitator.

knives

#1816 Post by knives » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:58 pm

Poor Riccardo Freda.

Mr Sausage

#1817 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:10 pm

knives wrote:Poor Riccardo Freda.
Everyone’s favourite Bava collaborator?

In all seriousness, Margheriti and Freda both directed two terrific Italian horrors: The Miniskirt Murders by the former is one of the rare giallos to be coherent and have a surprising twist, on top of being a lot of fun The latter’s Horrible Doctor Hitchcock is a terrific slice of 60s perversion and grande guignol insanity. Both ought to be watched for the project.

knives

#1818 Post by knives » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:19 pm

I firmly agree. Italian horror of that vintage works incredibly well for me since it seems to be taking the Corman films as a jumping off point while ramping up some of the painterly qualities. Freda's The Ghost is definitely one of my formative movies with a vicious Barbara Steele performance.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#1819 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:34 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:58 pm
With only about two months left in this project, I'm going to devote my time to cramming in as many revisits as possible, but I'd like to put in a word for the films on my list that I expect will be orphaned either because people have not seen them, don't have access, or they don't qualify them as horror...
I'm not sure I have any pre-2000s picks that wouldn't be widely considered already (except maybe John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness, which in a different, less Lovecraftian way nicely hits a lot of the apocalyptic notes knives appreciated from In the Mouth of Madness) so here are three films from the last few years I enjoyed that haven't been discussed as much (only two of which are likely to make my list, but all of which are worth a watch):

Raw (Julia Ducournau) — Delightfully gruesome, trenchant commentary on sexuality and siblings, and one of the better closing shots of last decade.

1922 (Zak Hilditch) — This isn't a great movie (and in contrast to Raw has a disappointing final shot one has to overlook), but there's enough rural atmosphere, morbid imagery, and a surprisingly good lead performance for Thomas Jane to push it over the exceedingly low bar of entry into the list of best Stephen King adaptations. Easy to catch on Netflix for those who have assimilated, worthy of 100 minutes for genre/King fans who haven't yet seen it, and still a possibility for a spot toward the bottom of my list.

And since twbb has shown a particular willingness to bend the boundaries of the genre, let me throw out a recent one I quit liked and which I go back and forth on regarding its appropriateness for this genre list: Michael Pearce's Beast definitely has some horror elements, though it may ultimately be more of a romantic thriller packed with style and imagery, along with a very good early performance from the burgeoning star Jessie Buckley (nudge, nudge: if anyone sees it and wants to comment, I'd love for it to be in that linked Films of 2018 thread, as I've been waiting two years for a third post to justify splitting it off into its own thread!).

knives

#1820 Post by knives » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:39 pm

Prince of Darkness isn't my favorite Carpenter because it probably errs a little too much on the side of goofy, but it undoubtedly has the scariest scene of his career. It's definitely a must see for fans of the genre.

therewillbeblus

#1821 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:34 pm
Raw (Julia Ducournau) — Delightfully gruesome, trenchant commentary on sexuality and siblings, and one of the better closing shots of last decade.
This is easily making my list (I agree on the closing shot, as well as the wonderfully comic final line). I struggle to write anything substantial about it since the commentary has already been touched on enough, though I do think the female perspective on a subgenre that has been dominated by men, like everything really, is extra welcome here because of the messy nature of puberty's physicality and adolescent social pressure for women just as much if not moreso than men, which makes the idea of body horror even more fitting along lines that often remain hidden rather than the male experience which is for some reason more acceptable and public. It's also just expertly crafted and even on a level of pure style it would make my list. I think it's among the best of the modern quality-horror resurgence that have punctured the public's eye in the indie scene.
DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:34 pm
And since twbb has shown a particular willingness to bend the boundaries of the genre, let me throw out a recent one I quit liked and which I go back and forth on regarding its appropriateness for this genre list: Michael Pearce's Beast definitely has some horror elements, though it may ultimately be more of a romantic thriller packed with style and imagery, along with a very good early performance from the burgeoning star Jessie Buckley (nudge, nudge: if anyone sees it and wants to comment, I'd love for it to be in that linked Films of 2018 thread, as I've been waiting two years for a third post to justify splitting it off into its own thread!).
I only had to read your line on a Thoroughbreds comparison to be sold here, though what really piques my interest is how this will "bend the boundaries of the genre." I'd offer one of my own as a swapie (or demonlover and Vox Lux as more accessible swapsies, the former of which will find a home here even if it's still stretching things a bit, while the latter certainly will not), but since Beast is already waiting for me at the library, I can't really wager much motivation than to suggest it'll be fun.

Mr Sausage

The Horror List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Project)

#1822 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:51 pm

Prince of Darkness, like The Devil Rides Out, is an object lesson in how to successfully treat something utterly goofy with absolute seriousness.

By the way, knives, what scene are you referring to?

knives

#1823 Post by knives » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:56 pm

It's been too long since I've seen it to give a good explanation, but I think it's the one with the mirrors set in a pitch black room right before the Alice Cooper cameo.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1824 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:02 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 pm
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation: Alright well throw the tomatoes at me because I thought this was awesome.
I just watched this too and liked it (especially McConaughey, and the ending) though I'm a little surprised domino liked one and not the other because to me they were kind of the same movie except for the latter starring two of our social betters. (Or maybe I just answered my own question?) I was also surprised to learn that Kim Henkel was not some no-name female director but rather the guy that wrote the original film! Having recently been reminded of Blatty's Exorcist film, I'm kind of fascinated by this idea of a writer for the first film in an iconic series returning to direct one of its sequels. Are there any other good examples of this phenomenon?

therewillbeblus

#1825 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:09 am

I think that they are basically the same film in content and exaggeration but the way they’re filmed is different, with the first really using that grind house style to assault us, and this takes the cheesy and insane parts of the first and transforms them into full on absurdism. Though it is puzzling to me why anyone would cite one as far better or worse than another. As a friend of mine said, if judged inside an objective vacuum sans personal measurements of why one gets a pass vs the other, they’re about on par with each other.
Last edited by therewillbeblus on Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.