A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III (Roman Coppola, 2013)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III (Roman Coppola, 2013)

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:26 pm

Trailer for Roman Coppola's long-awaited follow-up to CQ. It is the weirdest trailer you will watch today.

Jeff

Re: A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III (Coppola 2

#2 Post by Jeff » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:35 pm

The fact that it is being distributed by A24 (and in February) is disheartening, but I can't say I'm not intrigued. Bill Murray is wearing John Wayne's exact outfit from The Searchers and Jason Schwartzman looks like Hair Bear. So it's got that going for it.

Mr Sausage

#3 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:17 am

I honestly clicked on this thread because I thought Sofia Coppola was doing a Proust adaptation.

Instead I see Roman Coppola is doing...? But like Jeff, I found it hard not to be intrigued. Also, for about half that trailer I thought Jason Schwartzman was Adam Goldberg.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#4 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:23 pm

The battle of the sexes starring Charlie Sheen and Jason Schwartzman? Sure, why not? Bill Murray and Aubrey Plaza are there for the ride.

Jeff

#5 Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:56 pm

This is not a good sign. It's premiering via On Demand on January 8 before making its (presumably contractual and very limited) theatrical debut a month later.

EDIT: The film's official Tumblr (which is decidedly NSFW, covered as it is in full frontal nudity) shows that the release is indeed very limited.
Feb 8th — NYC Angelika Film Center
Feb 8th — LA Sundance Sunset Cinemas
Feb 15th — Palm Springs, CA - Cinemas Palme d'Or
Feb 22th — Santa Fe - CCA
Mar 1 — Little Rock Market Street - Little Rock, AR
Mar 1 — Columbus, OH - Gateway
One critic who has already seen it has declared that it is already a strong contender for worst movie of 2013.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Other than that Roman Coppola has seen a lot of movies and possibly has a crush on Katheryn Winnick, I'm not sure what else to take away from this film. The pic is a mess, and not in a stylistic way that would justify its sloppiness on narrative grounds. Coppola has nothing of interest to say but lots of novel ways in which to express so much nothing. And yet, even the accomplished set design and Tashlin-esque color palette are constantly undermined by Coppola's (intentional?) misuse of reflective surfaces, almost all of which capture the basic tools of filmmaking: cameras, lights, crew people. This isn't done often enough or with enough focus to convince me its a stylistic choice: I'm pretty sure it's just shoddy craftsmanship.

Sheen's awful thin as the main character, but he's in good company. At least he and Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman are given one-dimensional roles to play-- Mary Elizabeth Winstead is called upon only to dress sexily and behave kittenish for the camera, which is still one level above the rest of the C-List cameo cameos (Why yes, Dermot Mulroney does appear as a doctor for no reason!). The credits also list CQ's Angela Lindvall as gracing the screen, but whoever she "played" I didn't recognize her. Just typing the words CQ in relation to this film made me pretty sad, though.

There's exactly one amusing scene in the entire film: a parody of Bob Fosse's Lenny which morphs into an outrageous embodiment of the sixties sex comedy subgenre as the existence of a female-led Secret Society of Ball Busters is revealed, complete with short skirt uniforms and radio-controlled missiles. It's not a particularly funny sequence, but by borrowing from a stylistic genre that adeptly tackled the sexual issues this film so sorely fumbles, it shows a rare good-match of intent and style-- it's the only part of the film that looks and feels like it came from the director of CQ. A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III is a film so bad in such bold ways that it will inevitably find a cult audience down the road. My advice? Spend the $9.99 on two DVD copies of CQ, one for you and one for a friend.

Ovader

#7 Post by Ovader » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:21 am

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:09 pm
And yet, even the accomplished set design and Tashlin-esque color palette are constantly undermined by Coppola's (intentional?) misuse of reflective surfaces, almost all of which capture the basic tools of filmmaking: cameras, lights, crew people. This isn't done often enough or with enough focus to convince me its a stylistic choice: I'm pretty sure it's just shoddy craftsmanship.
In the commentary Coppola actually comments on this and it is intentional as he states "Those little kinda imperfections in a movie are something I value so there was an opportunity to erase it but I thought it added a nice touch."

Angela Lindvall is credited as "Veiled Woman" which is the woman who starts off reading the poem at the nighttime fantasy burial scene.

I actually enjoyed the craziness and playfulness but I understand how people were put off by the film.