Leos Carax

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Black Hat

Re: Leos Carax

#76 Post by Black Hat » Mon May 20, 2013 12:12 pm

With the success of Holy Motors I'm not surprised by this at all, definitely see a box set of his films coming.

zedz

#77 Post by zedz » Tue May 21, 2013 5:22 pm

repeat wrote:Does anyone have that Deneuve box with Pola X? I'm still wondering if it has the Depardieu commentary, can't find that information anywhere
The Depardieu commentary is really terrible. You aren't missing anything: long, long silences that are only slightly less informative than the talking bits.

repeat

#78 Post by repeat » Wed May 22, 2013 2:54 pm

zedz wrote:
repeat wrote:Does anyone have that Deneuve box with Pola X? I'm still wondering if it has the Depardieu commentary, can't find that information anywhere
The Depardieu commentary is really terrible. You aren't missing anything: long, long silences that are only slightly less informative than the talking bits.
Yeah, I'm not looking for it so much as an informative commentary on the movie as more out of a biographical interest in the man - otherwise that would be enough to turn me off as there's nothing more horrible than a commentary with indefinite long pauses. Thought the Deneuve box might've been worth it for the Desplechin film and this, but with no evidence to the contrary I'm guessing the box is stripped of the extras

jigen

#79 Post by jigen » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:27 pm

I recently watched The Lovers on the Bridge for the first time - what an extraordinary film! I wondered whether anyone could shed any light on the ending for me:
SpoilerShow
I was wondering whether the giddy final scene - where Lavant and Binoche emerge from the water and are "rescued" by the barge - was possibly forced on Carax by the studio? Pure speculation on my part, and I can't find any information online. I was taken aback by what seemed to me a very abrupt change in tone, especially after Lavant - mad with jealousy - had just tried to kill the both of them. Perhaps this jarring effect was what Carax intended, but I keep finding myself trying to "explain away" the ending somehow; to put it down to studio meddling or to recast it in my mind as a dying dream (someone pointed out to me that Binoche asks the old couple on the barge "Vous êtes marchands de sable?" - with "marchand de sable" also being the French name for the fairytale "sandman" who sprinkles magical sand into the eyes of children to bring dreams and sleep - is it at all possible that Carax is implying that this final scene is only a dream, or a post-death vision?)

I suppose I just really want for the two of them to have died there in the river, as to me that seems a more beautiful, moving and fitting ending - but perhaps this is my problem and not the film's!

whaleallright

#80 Post by whaleallright » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:38 pm

isn't the film as a whole distinguished by an unorthodox mix of tones? the opening scenes, which in their unforgiving documentary-like gaze recall the opening of Grémillon's La Petite Lise, give way to something outrageously stylized. the film's mix of naturalism and romantic stylization is probably its major distinguishing feature (as is the case with all of Carax's films). the "double" ending fits that perfectly. asking whether it is "only a dream" seems as fruitful a question as asking whether Denis Levant is really married to a monkey in Holy Motors. the whole proposition is so outrageous that it renders questions of veracity or even reality moot...

I hope that is vague enough not to require the "spoiler" tag. :wink:

btw, I'm still mad that the the longer television version of Pola X, that has the full name of the Melville novel it loosely adapts (Pierre, ou les ambiguités), is still completely unavailable. in fact, the film seems pretty close to being forgotten... and when referred to, is often described as the film maudit that nearly ended Carax' career... exactly how Les Amants du Pont-Neuf was described through the '90s.

pzadvance

#81 Post by pzadvance » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:03 pm

jonah.77 wrote:btw, I'm still mad that the the longer television version of Pola X, that has the full name of the Melville novel it loosely adapts (Pierre, ou les ambiguités), is still completely unavailable.
First I've heard of this! Did it ever actually air? How much longer is it supposed to be?

whaleallright

#82 Post by whaleallright » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:08 pm

it did air (once or twice I believe), and it's been cited as superior to the theatrical version by a number of French critics.

more details above in this thread...

zedz

#83 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:58 pm

Re. the ending of Les Amants du Pont Neuf, bear in mind that the barge at the end is the barge from L'Atalante - ie. it's an integral part of the film's network of filmic references.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#84 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Mathew2468 wrote:Would Artificial Eye Blu them?
Yes they are re-releasing their Carax box in both formats this spring/early summer.

repeat

#85 Post by repeat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 am

Hang on, is that official? Blu-ray.com lists a different kind of box as upcoming, with Pola X replaced with Holy Motors. Would be thrilled to get Pola X on Blu (although I agree with jonah.77 that the real deal would be to get the full-length cut in any format)

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#86 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:28 pm

repeat wrote:Hang on, is that official? Blu-ray.com lists a different kind of box as upcoming, with Pola X replaced with Holy Motors. Would be thrilled to get Pola X on Blu (although I agree with jonah.77 that the real deal would be to get the full-length cut in any format)
Yes on checking you're right it is with holy Motors I just rehashed the Moviemail blurb before checking the contents. So a bummer for those of us with HM already on blu. The others are coming separately but it seems much more expensive indivdually.

repeat

#87 Post by repeat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Not having got around to buying the Holy Motors blu yet, I'll welcome the box set with these contents as well! (And keep hoping for a special edition of Pola X with both cuts on Blu-ray, Depardieu commentary, a repress of the soundtrack CD, a reprint of the source novel, etc. etc... Anyone?)

Zot!

#88 Post by Zot! » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:01 pm

repeat wrote:Depardieu commentary
No longer with us, I'm afraid.

whaleallright

#89 Post by whaleallright » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:05 pm

nor is Golubeva. who would have thought in 1999 that these two stars, in all their rude youth, would have disappeared before the film's 15th anniversary?

the best we might hope for is an interview with (the recently talkative) Scott Walker, whose remarkable score has seemingly slipped into an even greater obscurity than the film. the CD doesn't appear to be in print anywhere.
Last edited by whaleallright on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zedz

#90 Post by zedz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:06 pm

Zot! wrote:
Well, in that case I guess they'll just have to use the one he recorded when he was alive.

But they really shouldn't bother. It's terrible. He probably speaks for about thirty minutes of the film's runtime, and has very little of interest to say. It would make more sense to re-edit that material into an illustrated featurette, if they have the rights to it.

repeat

#91 Post by repeat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:09 pm

An even better idea, that. Someone should get a Kickstarter going for this. I wonder if the longer TV cut is somehow out of reach rights-wise though

whaleallright

#92 Post by whaleallright » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:19 pm

the rights to the TV version may not be any more complicated than navigating through the thicket of European companies (including some broadcasters) who financed the film in the first place:
Arena Films
Canal+
Degeto Film
Euro Space
France 2 Cinéma
La Sept-Arte
Pandora Filmproduktion
Pola Production
Theo Films
Télévision Suisse-Romande (TSR)
Vega Film
!

Calvin

#93 Post by Calvin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:34 pm

jonah.77 wrote:the rights to the TV version may not be any more complicated than navigating through the thicket of European companies (including some broadcasters) who financed the film in the first place:
Arena Films
Canal+
Degeto Film
Euro Space
France 2 Cinéma
La Sept-Arte
Pandora Filmproduktion
Pola Production
Theo Films
Télévision Suisse-Romande (TSR)
Vega Film
!
Pathe list it in their catalog

Oedipax

#94 Post by Oedipax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:01 am

zedz wrote:
Zot! wrote:
Well, in that case I guess they'll just have to use the one he recorded when he was alive.

But they really shouldn't bother. It's terrible. He probably speaks for about thirty minutes of the film's runtime, and has very little of interest to say. It would make more sense to re-edit that material into an illustrated featurette, if they have the rights to it.
I don't get the hate for that commentary track, but I know it's a pretty widely shared opinion. It's not an easy listen but I think it gives an honest portrait of a little bit of what he was like as a person - the long, somewhat uneasy silences, his embarrassment about seeing himself in the sex scenes, his focus more on the practical difficulties of filming certain sequences rather than offering any particular in-depth analysis - I think that's just the nature of being a working actor... And to top it off, he was doing the commentary in English, which while he spoke it reasonably well, he's obviously not as comfortable as anyone would be in their native tongue or a second language they'd gotten completely fluent in. All of those are flaws I might be more critical of were he still around to do a better take sometime, but the fact that he's gone means this is kind of a unique, rare artifact of what this guy was about on some level. I really hope they port it over.

repeat

#95 Post by repeat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:17 am

I just hope that there will be a "they" to re-release this at all, as it still seems to have a maudit status among Carax's oeuvre. Maybe Pathé will get around to it at some point, now that Carax's commercial reputation has been rehabilitated...

The GD commentary might well be uninformative regarding the film but agree that it's a valuable document on the person, and that's why I too hope it to be included on possible future releases of the film.

repeat

#97 Post by repeat » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:39 am

As far as I understand, it's an advertisement for a Paris art gallery of that name. Does anyone know what the Christophe track over the end credits is? A quick trawl through a dozen albums produced no answer.

adavis53

#99 Post by adavis53 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:05 pm

repeat wrote:As far as I understand, it's an advertisement for a Paris art gallery of that name. Does anyone know what the Christophe track over the end credits is? A quick trawl through a dozen albums produced no answer.
Its "Silence on Meurt"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVNVQuhPImI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

repeat

#100 Post by repeat » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:57 am

Thank you!