The Buddhist Trilogy

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

antnield

Re: The Buddhist Trilogy

#51 Post by antnield » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:24 pm

The name will remain the same. The fourth film will be positioned as an extra.

zedz

#52 Post by zedz » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:27 am
If I were to guess, I'd imagine this announcement came so close to the previous release date, so they could get all their ducks in a row and confirm a new date (however far out), rather than potentially announcing multiple short delays over the same period.
Exactly. I don't see that this poses a problem to anybody except reviewers, and even then I don't really get why it's a problem (they were expecting an early copy, but now their early copy will be delayed like all the regular copies?)

This is fantastic news, as far as I'm concerned.

Calvin

#53 Post by Calvin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Terrific news, and am more than happy to put up with a delay for this reason. Hopefully Arrow can fully match the Japanese release by also including both cuts of Poem as mentioned earlier in this thread.

yoshimori

#54 Post by yoshimori » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:12 am

From page 1 of this thread:

"Surely the most important release of the year.

That said, the "trilogy" thing is silly. There are four brilliant, thematically linked Jissoji films between 1970 and 1974, and the best (by a smidgen) is the one that's not included here, Asaki yumemishi [A Faint Dream]."

So ... Great news!
Last edited by yoshimori on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

mostly asia

#55 Post by mostly asia » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:29 am

to get an impression of "Asaki yumemishi" you can watch a english subbed trailer on a japanese blog (and some nice screenshots) https://blog.goo.ne.jp/ikandesu_2009/e/ ... 29eeed54ef

Mothravka

#56 Post by Mothravka » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:22 am

It's very welcoming that we are getting another film in this, especially a good one. I like all the films in this set except for Mandara (1971), but it was over 5 years ago I saw it, so I'm willing to give it a new chance now that we'll have a Blu-ray transfer. I think it was the first Jissôji film i saw. I remember that the atmosphere was interesting together with the typical floating camera work that Jissôji often had in the early seventies, but it lacked the punch and intensity that I enjoyed in his other films. I can also remember some striking night scenes that were filmed outside. The more I think about it, the more I'm actually looking forward to rewatching it.

As for the price, I managed to pre-order it for £35.99 at Zavvi in the beginning of October, which I think is a nice deal. The price was actually higher pretty much everywhere a while back. It's £39.99 at Zavvi for now, which seems to be the cheapest for the moment. I just hope they don't do any changes in terms of making it a new product or something now that the packaging and content will be changing.

dwk

#57 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:01 pm

Delayed, with no new release date
We are very sorry to update that we are still encountering some production issues on our forthcoming release of Akio Jissoji: The Buddhist Trilogy. Whilst we always strive to release announced titles on time, occasionally there are unforeseen issues that may arise during our production plans, and in this case, we have encountered one or two issues that has meant that we will be unable to release this title within year. 

Rather than move this title to a new provisional date in 2019, we are removing it from sale until we can 100% confirm a new date for release.

kekid

#58 Post by kekid » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Amazon.com cancelled my order for the "Buddhist Trilogy".

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#59 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Target order still holding strong

Cronenfly

#60 Post by Cronenfly » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:02 am

I haven’t gotten the promised cancellation direct from Arrow either.

Adam X

#61 Post by Adam X » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:58 am

Looking at my account, my order's both been cancelled, and as far as I can remember, the points I used have been returned along with the promised extra 500 compensation points; though I've not received a refund yet. I also got this email this morning:
Arrow wrote:Good afternoon,

Your Buddhist Trilogy refund is being processed ASAP by our finance team but unfortunately has to be fully refunded, we are unable to do part refunds/part cancellations on pre-orders at this time. Some of the other items are still available to purchase but we understand that some are sold out. If one of the titles on your cancelled order with the Buddhist Trilogy is sold out, and you still want it then please contact us and we can create a manual order for you. Thank you for your understanding and custom and please contact us if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Team Arrow
Not sure why they might think I don't want an out-of-print title I ordered anymore, but anyway...

Arrow

#62 Post by Arrow » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:33 am

I was notified that I was quoted in this thread, I think I need a new username...

Murdoch

#63 Post by Murdoch » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:04 am

swo17 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:10 pm
Target order still holding strong
Don't jinx it!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#64 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 17, 2019 10:11 am

Now scheduled for August:
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

High Definition Blu-Ray (1080p) presentations
Original uncompressed LPCM mono 1.0 audio on all three films
Newly translated optional English subtitles
Both the 120-minute Theatrical and 137-minute Extended versions of Poem
Bonus Blu-Ray disc with Jissôji's 1974 feature It Was A Faint Dream, which continues the themes explored in the Trilogy
Introductions to all three films in the Trilogy by David Desser, author of Eros Plus Massacre: An Introduction to the Japanese New Wave
Scene-select commentaries on all three films in the Trilogy by Desser
Theatrical trailers for Mandara, Poem and It Was A Faint Dream
Limited edition packaging, fully illustrated by maarko phntm
Illustrated 60-page perfect-bound collector's book featuring new writings on the films by Anton Bitel and Tom Mes

Glowingwabbit

#65 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri May 17, 2019 10:35 am

Finally! They said they wouldn't announce it again until they were 100% sure so August should stand. Can't wait to revisit these.

htdm

#66 Post by htdm » Fri May 17, 2019 11:00 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:11 am
Now scheduled for August:
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

High Definition Blu-Ray (1080p) presentations
Original uncompressed LPCM mono 1.0 audio on all three films
Newly translated optional English subtitles
Both the 120-minute Theatrical and 137-minute Extended versions of Poem
Bonus Blu-Ray disc with Jissôji's 1974 feature It Was A Faint Dream, which continues the themes explored in the Trilogy
Introductions to all three films in the Trilogy by David Desser, author of Eros Plus Massacre: An Introduction to the Japanese New Wave
Scene-select commentaries on all three films in the Trilogy by Desser
Theatrical trailers for Mandara, Poem and It Was A Faint Dream
Limited edition packaging, fully illustrated by maarko phntm
Illustrated 60-page perfect-bound collector's book featuring new writings on the films by Anton Bitel and Tom Mes
Hopefully we'll also hear similar good news for L'Atlantide sometime in the future.

colinr0380

#67 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:28 am

I can confirm that this set is out in the wild now.

Tuatha

#68 Post by Tuatha » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:21 pm

Though I am very excited to watch the remainder of this set I have mixed feelings about Mujō (This Transient Life), the first film presented in this set.
This was my introduction to Jissoji and as I explore the rest of his output as well as external commentary about them my opinion is bound to change, but I felt that a few themes or ideas (oftentimes thrilling ideas) failed to get anywhere truly special.
Short bursts of expository dialogs sometime undermine the surrealist sequences they precede, and so does the overall flat looking photography.
The main vocal exchange in the film could have been a strong and challenging moment but shows both people involved being, given the overall tone of the film, surprisingly superficial (maybe something was lost in translation but I'll assume not for the time being).
For every element I took issue with was something I loved however, and I feel like giving the movie another watch (maybe once I'm done with the whole cycle) may lead me to a different place.

Murdoch

#69 Post by Murdoch » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:25 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:28 am
I can confirm that this set is out in the wild now.
Meanwhile my Target order is in limbo...

What A Disgrace

#70 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:37 pm

Mine is on the way from Amazon UK. If my work week is longer than usual, once again, next week, I'll watch this in place of the Hirokazu Kore-eda films I have in my back catalogue.

Ribs

#71 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:50 am

Blu-ray.com

Shout out to giving the disc with the extra movie a 3/5

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#72 Post by tenia » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:04 am

Not wanting to play the devil's advocate, but as a reviewer myself, I often have difficulties rating extras when they mostly include an extra movie or an extra documentary and not much else. In a way, sure, it's a good addition (except if the said doc' isn't very good), but in another way, take this one extra out and there aren't much left. In the present case, it's even more so that it's given its own disc, so I would actually score technically It Was a Faint Dream aside and not count it in Poem's extras.

Tuatha

#73 Post by Tuatha » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:23 pm

Ribs wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:50 am
Blu-ray.com

Shout out to giving the disc with the extra movie a 3/5
The review also calls Jissoji the creator of Ultraman and implies that the frequent depictions of sex are out of place given the Buddhist theme of the films so it feels kinda rushed to me.
As for the inclusion of a complete film as extra, I agree with Tenia but if that's how they chose to handle ratings I think they should at least talk about the thing in the actual review

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#74 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:52 pm

He gave the other discs much lower scores than 3 for extras, so he was clearly giving them credit for it

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#75 Post by tenia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:44 am

Tuatha wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:23 pm
As for the inclusion of a complete film as extra, I agree with Tenia but if that's how they chose to handle ratings I think they should at least talk about the thing in the actual review
That'd be my main issue in such a case, and why I usually don't handle it that way (except if I'm stuck with not enough time to watch and rate the movie). I find it more unfortunate for a movie, even if relagated as extra, to be so lightly treated.