Captain Marvel (Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

Re: Comic Books on Film

#1 Post by lacritfan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:55 am

Luke M

Re: Comic Books on Film

#2 Post by Luke M » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:45 pm

This is such wonderful news.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Marvel Comics on Film

#3 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:24 pm

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4 Post by tenia » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:20 pm

"See, it's in the past because there's still Blockbuster around !"

jbeall

#5 Post by jbeall » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:00 pm

The trailer has to tease an origin story for non Marvel comics folks and avoid the specific stuff that only comics fans would get (e.g. Kree-Skrull conflict, which would be confusing and off-putting to those whose Marvel background comes primarily from the movies). The result is a trailer that plays on Captain Marvel's gender ("What makes (A) Her(O)?") but doesn't presume much background knowledge in the way that the various Marvel sequels do.

I guess that's a long-winded way of saying that I hope the movie is better than the trailer.

Dr Amicus

#6 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:58 am

My children (ages 7 & 10) particularly liked the bit where she slaps an old lady. My daughter, who hasn't seen any of the Marvel films so far, may want to watch the film just for that bit.

The rest of it is frankly pretty run of the mill, but I'm sure later trailers may give more of an idea of the tone of the film - hopefully it will be more than an extended filler before the next Avengers film and the main character's (presumed) major role in it (which is why my son is extremely excited about this).

dda1996a

#7 Post by dda1996a » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:21 am

I like how its taking place in the past to sort of ignore that Marvek keeps dishing out films while supposedly half the world and heroes just vanished.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#8 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:25 am

When I saw Coulson, that's the first thing I thought. "Oh, how convenient !"

McCrutchy

#9 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 am

After underestimating Black Panther, I'm ready for Captain Marvel to be a hit, though. Cheese Larson has numerous fans, and let's not forget that female-fronted films often seem to have long legs. And while I would hope and pray for a stronger slate of counter-programming in the first quarter of 2019 than what we got in 2018, the March and May release dates for this and Avengers 4 will probably make for a one-two punch of box office glory, and I suspect Disney will dominate theaters for months because of them.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#10 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:17 am

I have no doubt this movie will be a hit. Technically, looking at the current context, it's the contrary that would be extremely surprising, especially in the US where even the critics are very forgiving towards these movies, only helping them further having no obstacles to be huge BO successes.

Lost Highway

#11 Post by Lost Highway » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:32 am

"Cheese Larson" is the probably most witless pun I've come across in a while.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:20 pm

I don't even know what it's supposed to signify

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#13 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Her name is Brie

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#14 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:23 pm

And Brie is a (French) cheese, the one from Meaux being the most renowned.

The Narrator Returns

#15 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31 pm

Actually, he's referring to Brie Larson being the best character on the show, and better than both the salami and the bologna combined.

McCrutchy

#16 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:52 pm

I thought it was common knowledge that Brie = the French cheese (and less so the region, at least outside of France), but seeing some of these responses now makes me feel like Larson might not actually know she shortened her name to a cheese.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:00 pm

I know brie is a type of cheese, it's just also a common first name and I assumed the pun was signifying something else. I mean, why pun the name at all if you're not trying to make some sort of commentary on her?

Murdoch

#18 Post by Murdoch » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:12 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31 pm
Actually, he's referring to Brie Larson being the best character on the show, and better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
There is no clapping emoji but I applaud this reference.

McCrutchy

#19 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:35 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:00 pm
I know brie is a type of cheese, it's just also a common first name and I assumed the pun was signifying something else. I mean, why pun the name at all if you're not trying to make some sort of commentary on her?
Using it as a verbal nickname for longer names like Brianna is common (though I always differentiate that as "Bri" or perhaps "Bree" and not "Brie") but it's quite unusual in my mind to want to be known officially as "Brie", and the best reason I can think of to not do that is that someone in media named "Brie" would be constantly reminding people of the cheese, particularly when their name is written with the "e" on the end in an identical spelling. Consequently, when I think of Brie Larson, I always think of the cheese in the same instant, and it makes me want to refer to her as Cheese Larson.
Last edited by McCrutchy on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregory

#20 Post by Gregory » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Does the name Alison Brie have the same effect on you?

McCrutchy

#21 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:47 pm

Gregory wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:38 pm
Does the name Alison Brie have the same effect on you?
I find myself asking that question a lot, but then I don't really know who she is, either. I've heard her name several times before, but I quite honestly can't place a face to it, other than that she is (I believe) a young white girl around the same age as Larson. I suppose if I knew of her better or if she was constantly mentioned in the media, I would, but I'm not sure.

It is more common to have last names that are also products, though, so perhaps Brie as a last name wouldn't cause as much of an association.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#22 Post by Shrew » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:21 pm

There does seem to be an awful lot of stuff in here (Carol as a kid, Carol as a fighter pilot, Carol getting superpowers, Carol with intergalactic special forces, Carol hanging out with Nick Fury, secret intergalactic war, Carol punching old women), none of it particularly exciting on its own. I wonder if they're trying to fit this all in one straightforward narrative, which seems doomed to lead to Green Lantern-like disappointment, or if it will take on some sort of nesting doll structure of memory, as suggested by those final Potemkinsesque cuts of Carol at different ages.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:25 pm

Along those lines, someone on Reddit who knows the comics had a theory about the film that made it sound like
Spoiler for maybe this movie and a 1960s WWII movieShow
36 Hours
which actually made me interested if they're right

Lost Highway

#24 Post by Lost Highway » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:25 pm

I rarely bother watching these trailers and I say that as someone who generally enjoys the MCU films. They always are action and effects heavy but the reason why I quite like the films is because the character stuff is better than the average blockbuster movie. Brie Larson has been good in everything I've seen her in and I'm curious to see how Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck acquit themselves to a megabucks blockbuster.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#25 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Ben Davis lensed it, so my prediction is that Boden and Fleck have made a Marvel movie that looks and feels exactly like the other Marvel movies