MGM Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
FrauBlucher

Re: MGM Catalog Titles on Blu

#201 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:59 pm

John Doe

#202 Post by John Doe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:05 pm

captveg

#203 Post by captveg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:17 pm

YES! Should look beautiful. The old DVD is terrible.

Jameson281

#204 Post by Jameson281 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:59 am

captveg wrote:
YES! Should look beautiful. The old DVD is terrible.
FYI, Caleb Deschanel supervised the HD master.

captveg

#205 Post by captveg » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:51 pm

Excellent

Jean-Luc Garbo

#206 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Is the remastered blu of Robocop really just the R-rated cut? Is this as bad as I think it sounds?

EddieLarkin

#207 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Is the remastered blu of Robocop really just the R-rated cut? Is this as bad as I think it sounds?
Where have you heard this? It is definitely the uncut version.

Zot!

#208 Post by Zot! » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:39 pm

I think the problem is that the R-rated cut is missing, for anyone who might care.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#209 Post by cdnchris » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:45 pm

I can also confirm the new Blu-ray is definitely the uncut version. The R-rated cut is completely absent as far as I can see.

warren oates

#210 Post by warren oates » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:48 pm

But isn't the commentary, which I suppose is the old Criterion one, synched to an R-rated cut of the film?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#211 Post by cdnchris » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:00 pm

Criterion's DVD also featured the uncut version so its commentary is for that cut. MGM recorded an all-new track, which was a group track (Criterion's recorded everyone separately) but was specific for the R-rated cut if I recall. The Blu-ray reuses the MGM track. But since there is less than, what, 30-seconds difference I don't think it would be too big a deal.

StevenJ0001

#212 Post by StevenJ0001 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:21 pm

cdnchris wrote:I can also confirm the new Blu-ray is definitely the uncut version. The R-rated cut is completely absent as far as I can see.
The Amazon listing says "Bonus Features: **Remastered Theatrical Feature Blu-ray," which I presumed meant the R-rated cut was presented as a bonus feature, but maybe not?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#213 Post by cdnchris » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:22 pm

It's not there as far as I can see, as any sort of option.

StevenJ0001

#214 Post by StevenJ0001 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:28 pm

cdnchris wrote:It's not there as far as I can see, as any sort of option.
OK, thanks.

John Doe

#215 Post by John Doe » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:29 pm

METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER CELEBRATES 90 YEARS OF EXTRAORDINARY FILMMAKING

Los Angeles, CA (January 22, 2014) – Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) announced today a yearlong global campaign to honor the studio’s storied 90-year legacy. Founded in 1924 when theater magnate Marcus Loew bought and merged Metro Pictures Corp. with Goldwyn Pictures and Louis B. Mayer Productions, MGM and its legendary roaring lion logo signify the golden era of Hollywood to film lovers around the world. Since its inception, the company has led the industry in creating some of Hollywood’s greatest stars and is home to over 175 Academy Award®-winning films, including 14 Best Pictures.

“What a supreme honor it is to preside over a company with such an unparalleled legacy. It’s remarkable to have this opportunity to reflect on MGM’s amazing achievements in film history while also looking ahead to MGM’s bright and promising future,” said Gary Barber, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.

The celebration of 90 extraordinary years kicks off today, as the MGM icon, Leo the Lion, is immortalized with a paw print ceremony at the world famous TCL Chinese Theater in Hollywood, cementing his place in Hollywood history. Sylvester Stallone, writer and star of Rocky (1976), one of MGM’s most iconic and enduring characters, is also on hand to commemorate the special occasion, along with Barber. The event will be live streamed on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dC02qz6Gqg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Embed code:

MGM is debuting a special 90th anniversary trailer which will play in theaters, on MGM channels – including MGM’s 24/7 movie network, MGM HD; its action-themed VOD channel, Impact; and its premiere multicast programming service dedicated to movies, THIS TV – as well as on DVD products and across social media. The trailer includes a tapestry of iconic images and scenes from films in MGM’s library, evoking a deep emotional connection and celebrating the company’s extensive contributions to the entertainment world. A link to the trailer can be found here: http://youtu.be/AybnnAQH-Wc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Additionally, several of MGM’s signature films including Rocky, Rain Man, Fargo, RoboCop and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, have been meticulously restored in 4K resolution (four times the clarity of HD) and will be presented on Blu-ray™ for a beautiful, high-definition home viewing experience. These re-releases will be issued through MGM’s home entertainment partner, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, and are now available for pre-order on Amazon.

Other initiatives to mark the company’s 90th anniversary include:

● MGM will complement its already vast collection of films currently available on Blu-ray™ by releasing new titles across all genres throughout the year. Upcoming titles for release include In the Heat of the Night, A Chorus Line,and The Birdcage.

● MGM has created a one-of-a-kind collector’s book and bonus video disc companion commemorating 90 amazing years, featuring interviews from award-winning filmmakers, directors, and actors discussing the significance of their contributions to MGM’s legacy. The book and video highlight the evolution and history of the legendary studio and provide an extensive look into the studio's golden years, classics, iconic franchises and much more. Interviews include Sylvester Stallone on Rocky, Clint Eastwood on The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis on Thelma and Louise, and Walter Mirisch on The Pink Panther. The bonus disc will also be available accompanying select DVD offerings.

captveg

#216 Post by captveg » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:51 pm

So, that press release revealed plans for The Birdcage, but everything else was generally known.

Matt

#217 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:54 pm

It does put to bed speculation that Criterion would be releasing The Good, The Bad and The Ugly or the whole Man with No Name trilogy. It would have been nice for Criterion to be able to revisit their Robocop release (if they were even still interested), but I don't mind having paid only $8 for the new Blu-ray.

ianungstad

#218 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:04 pm

I'm hoping that with It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and Midnight Cowboy in the works that MGM lets Criterion have Spinal Tap. It's the films 30th Anniversary this year and MGM already put up a new HD version for streaming.

ianungstad

#219 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:12 pm

Matt wrote:It does put to bed speculation that Criterion would be releasing The Good, The Bad and The Ugly or the whole Man with No Name trilogy. It would have been nice for Criterion to be able to revisit their Robocop release (if they were even still interested), but I don't mind having paid only $8 for the new Blu-ray.
It's already listed on Amazon. It's a similar package to Rocky where it's being bundled with the 2 other Eastwood films but it's only the "lead" film that gets a new 4k master. Which is fine; since these have been quite fairly priced.

warren oates

#220 Post by warren oates » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:17 pm

Can you post that link, ianungstad?

captveg

#221 Post by captveg » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:20 pm

ianungstad wrote:
Matt wrote:It does put to bed speculation that Criterion would be releasing The Good, The Bad and The Ugly or the whole Man with No Name trilogy. It would have been nice for Criterion to be able to revisit their Robocop release (if they were even still interested), but I don't mind having paid only $8 for the new Blu-ray.
It's already listed on Amazon. It's a similar package to Rocky where it's being bundled with the 2 other Eastwood films but it's only the "lead" film that gets a new 4k master. Which is fine; since these have been quite fairly priced.
I wish I didn't have to rebuy un-remastered Blu-rays of the other two films, but if priced fairly I won't cry over it as The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is probably in my Top 5 favorite films ever made.

eerik

#222 Post by eerik » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:28 pm

Remastered Fargo up for pre-order, no release date yet but probably in April.

ianungstad

#223 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:42 pm

warren oates wrote:Can you post that link, ianungstad?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/With-T ... B00HZN8TBC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$27 bucks for the set.

hearthesilence

#224 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:53 pm

eerik wrote:Remastered Fargo up for pre-order, no release date yet but probably in April.
I'd have to look at it again, but I watched the old Blu-Ray about a year ago, and I remember thinking that the transfer had held up pretty well, so it'll be interesting to see how much this one improves on the old one.

matrixschmatrix

#225 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:58 pm

It would be nice if they finally put out Duck, You Sucker! on blu, but it looks like they didn't bother.