Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

Discuss releases by Radiance and the films on them.
Peacock

Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

#1101 Post by Peacock » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 pm

dadaistnun wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:26 pm
I was going to bemoan the fact that A Story Written With Water is not selling well enough to make the "Availability Watch" but I see on their site that its single pressing has sold out.
According to the webpage:“PLEASE NOTE THIS ITEM IS TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK AND NOT SOLD OUT. MORE STOCK IS DUE AT THE END OF APRIL.”

dadaistnun

#1102 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:41 pm

#-o Clearly I should have clicked through to the actual product page. Good news for those who haven't picked it up yet then! Great, great film and an beautiful disc as well.

rapta

#1103 Post by rapta » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:08 pm

I reckon the silent is likely to be either something with some sort of genre appeal (e.g. horror) and/or a particular director that chimes with Fran's outlook for the label. Therefore, A Page of Madness seems like a suitable candidate, but so does L'inferno, Les vampires, Häxan or The Phantom Carriage (maybe not those last two purely due to Criterion having the US rights). Maybe even Epstein's The Fall of the House of Usher?

Even better if it turns out to be some early Shimizu, Uchida or Naruse (feels unlikely though).

PS: Hadn't heard of Fernando Arrabal before but looked him up and he wrote Jodorowsky's Fando y Lis. From what I can tell, it's most likely to be Viva la muerte (1971) more than anything else (though 1973's I Will Walk Like a Crazy Horse has sold me on title alone).

Maltic

#1104 Post by Maltic » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:05 pm

A Page of Madness with a commentary by Radiance contributor Aaron Gerow? Bring it on.

What A Disgrace

#1105 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 pm

A boxed set of Arrabal's first three films would be ideal, as they're generally considered a collective in the same way as Jodorowsky's first three films are considered.

rapta

#1106 Post by rapta » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 pm

Just saw the Cannes Classics 2024 lineup and noticed the 'SMPO' clue was almost certainly for Belocchio's Slap the Monster on Page One, which already has me sold as it's a 4K restoration and stars one Gian Maria Volonté.

Scanning through the rest of the lineup and wondering if any of the others are possible...Johnny Got His Gun (from Gaumont), Tsui Hark's Shanghai Blues (could be one for labels to fight over) and perhaps the 'RB' clue might be for Robert Bresson; Four Nights of a Dreamer (from MK2) has been restored.