Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Marwood

Re: Identify This Movie

#1401 Post by Marwood » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:08 pm

Hi. I'm trying to identify a Chaplin short based on the following plot info:

"Chaplin dances with a fat farm girl. She is thrown into the sea, then draged up again."

It's most likely from before October 1916. any help appreciated. Thanks

Matt

#1402 Post by Matt » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:33 am

Marwood wrote:Hi. I'm trying to identify a Chaplin short based on the following plot info:

"Chaplin dances with a fat farm girl. She is thrown into the sea, then draged up again."

It's most likely from before October 1916. any help appreciated. Thanks
It sounds like Tillie’s Punctured Romance, but that’s a six-reel feature

JSC

#1403 Post by JSC » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:51 am

Does sound a bit like Tillie, but that was released in 1914. Also, he doesn't dance
with her... she's trying to shoot him with a gun and is hit by a police car and falls into the
sea.

Chaplin was at Mutual in 1916 and none of the films he made there have any scenes like
that (at least that I can recall).

Marwood

#1404 Post by Marwood » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:02 am

Thanks for replying. I'm working from a Norwegian censorship card dated October 1916, so it can be from any time before that date. The title in Norwegian is "Chaplin the master dancer". I was thinking it may be a Keystone Short?

JSC

#1405 Post by JSC » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:56 am

It's possible, though it doesn't discount any of the imitation films that were made around
1915-16 (with comedian Billy West for example), which were sometimes marketed to
distributors as a 'new' Chaplin film.

ianthemovie

#1406 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:16 pm

Not a movie, but rather a movie book seen in Ricky D'Ambrose's recent film The Cathedral. At one point the teenage boy character pages through a large hardcover coffee table book, each page of which seems to be devoted to a different movie. The section he is seen looking at seems to be organized chronologically because he looks at pages with stills from Viridiana, Last Year at Marienbad, Lawrence of Arabia, and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. I was able to make out some of the text (Googling strings of wording didn't bring up any results unfortunately) and it seems to be a book focused specifically on cinematography or lighting. This part of the film is set in 2001 so I'm guessing the book is from around that time. Does anyone have any ideas what the title of this could be? The layout is a bit similar to Film: The Critics' Choice (2002), but it's definitely not that.

beamish14

#1407 Post by beamish14 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:50 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:16 pm
Not a movie, but rather a movie book seen in Ricky D'Ambrose's recent film The Cathedral. At one point the teenage boy character pages through a large hardcover coffee table book, each page of which seems to be devoted to a different movie. The section he is seen looking at seems to be organized chronologically because he looks at pages with stills from Viridiana, Last Year at Marienbad, Lawrence of Arabia, and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. I was able to make out some of the text (Googling strings of wording didn't bring up any results unfortunately) and it seems to be a book focused specifically on cinematography or lighting. This part of the film is set in 2001 so I'm guessing the book is from around that time. Does anyone have any ideas what the title of this could be? The layout is a bit similar to Film: The Critics' Choice (2002), but it's definitely not that.

Taschen’s Movies of the 60’s?

ianthemovie

#1408 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:38 pm

No, the design doesn't look like anything by Taschen. I took some screengrabs of what the book looks like in the movie but I'm not sure how to post them easily.

ianthemovie

#1409 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:36 am

Posting again to share a link to some images from the book I'm trying to identify. (I've cross-posted my question to the Abebooks forum.) Images here.

Moderators can feel free to move this query to a more appropriate thread.

Matt

#1410 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:20 am

This is “Making Pictures: A Century of European Cinematography”

feihong

#1411 Post by feihong » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:12 am

Oh yeah, I have that book. It's very cool. That's where I found out about Elo Havetta's "Celebration in the Botanical Garden."

That's so funny. Looking at a trailer for The Cathedral, you can see someone flipping through the book in one of the shots.

ianthemovie

#1412 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:06 am

I actually took those screen captures from The Cathedral, which is what sparked my question (I rotated them so that the pages could be seen more easily).

Thanks so much! It looks like a gorgeous book. Now to try and track down an affordable used copy...

feihong

#1413 Post by feihong » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:09 pm

Those prices look rough. Just about on the level I would say is possible to buy, but not precisely affordable. I've paid that much for one book, once. I hope a more affordable one shows up at some point.

The book is really specifically about cinematography. Each movie gets a spread, or a couple of spreads, and the text focuses on the cinematographer and what they did to achieve the particular look of the film, and why they wanted to create that look.

avgvstvs_9

#1414 Post by avgvstvs_9 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:47 pm

I'm looking for a film about a young gay man (30ish) who has discovered he has AIDS and not long to live. I'm pretty sure this is a Spanish-language film, and I'd guess it is either Spanish or Argentinian, from the 1980's or early 1990's. I can remember the causasian protagonist as having shaggy hair, and going through a very difficult few days with friends and lovers, trying hard to get a grip on his life while struggling to accept his fate. I think there are several nightclub scenes including heavy drug use as well as several scenes in apparently abandoned or very dilapitaded apartment buildings, and also at least one frantic latenight city driving scene (in a white sedan I believe). Also, I think the film ends in a dawn with either apartment buildings or hotels in view, either on the beach or just an abandoned field, maybe a lake? I've searched in AIDS- and LGBT- related film lists for some time now to no avail. Please help!

Dr Amicus

#1415 Post by Dr Amicus » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:49 am

Well, it’s French rather than Spanish, but it sounds a bit like Les Nuits Fauves (from what I remember). Or, and again French, Ozon’s Time to Leave.

kubelkind

#1416 Post by kubelkind » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:54 am

I'd definitely say Cyril Collard's Les Nuits Fauves. The protagonist of Time To Leave has an inoperable brain tumour, not AIDS.
Odd that, for a film that had a very high profile on release, Les Nuits Fauves is so forgotten now. I don't think it even got an English language friendly DVD release, did it?

avgvstvs_9

#1417 Post by avgvstvs_9 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:23 am

Dr Amicus wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:49 am
Well, it’s French rather than Spanish, but it sounds a bit like Les Nuits Fauves (from what I remember). Or, and again French, Ozon’s Time to Leave.
Thanks! I'm watching the trailer now and it does definitely appear to be the film I was thinking about! It's funny how memories can be so off the mark like that, I was positive it was a spanish language film. Now I'll find out what else I was wrong about! Thanks again.

davoarid

#1418 Post by davoarid » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:11 pm

My brother is at a night club that is playing a movie in the background (with no sound)—he snapped a couple of pics and asked if I could identify it. I let him down, much to my embarrassment. Can you? I thought the staging was reminiscent of Dreyer, but it wasn’t any of the works of his I’ve seen:

bottlesofsmoke

#1419 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:31 pm

Our Town (1940)

davoarid

#1420 Post by davoarid » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:55 pm

bottlesofsmoke wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:31 pm
Our Town (1940)
Oh, thank you! I couldn’t have been further off!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1421 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:46 pm

I mean, it’s a pretty unusually staged film for Hollywood at the time, so you might be surprised how much it has in common with what we now consider Art House fare

Mr Sausage

#1422 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:04 pm

Watched it some time this year but forget the title:

A recent (2018? 2019?) Japanese thriller about a serial killer who pries the fingernails off his victims and hides the bodies under newly planted trees in his yard. After being caught, he contacts a young man who used top visit his shop as a kid, says one of the murders he's accused of he did not commit, and charges the young man with investigating it.

Anyone know the title?

yoloswegmaster

#1423 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:11 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:04 pm

A recent (2018? 2019?) Japanese thriller about a serial killer who pries the fingernails off his victims and hides the bodies under newly planted trees in his yard. After being caught, he contacts a young man who used top visit his shop as a kid, says one of the murders he's accused of he did not commit, and charges the young man with investigating it.

Anyone know the title?
Lesson in Murder?

Mr Sausage

#1424 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:26 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:11 pm
Mr Sausage wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:04 pm

Anyone know the title?
Lesson in Murder?
Yes! Thank you. Was bugging me.

It's not a great movie. There's some good stuff in it, but mostly it seems to want to ape the more extreme thrillers from Korea, so you get a lot of lingering scenes of women being tortured and endless twists that become less and less plausible. One of those movies that tries to use a handsome style and an atmosphere of seriousness to mask its real interest in prurience and other cheap thrills that more honest exploitation movies would've been upfront about.

cangirl

#1425 Post by cangirl » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:47 pm

Good evening everyone,

I am new to this forum and apologize if I have posted this in the wrong place.

On this Remembrance Day I wonder if anyone can help me find this movie. It was a British production (made for TV I presume) that I believe I saw in the 80's or 90's, either on PBS or on BC's Knowledge Network. It was about a small village in England during World War 1, perhaps in the Cotswolds, and how the all the young men (like 8 or 10 of them total - a very small village) went to war. They were all killed, except 1 came back wounded and another was listed as missing. The village decided to erect a war memorial, and there was great opposition from the mother of the missing soldier to having her son's name included on the memorial. Then the 1 soldier who came back dies of his wounds, and on the day of his funeral the the missing soldier returns. (That bit of timing was a bit forced but oh well.) The final scene shows the memorial in the middle of the village, with life in 1920 (ish) carrying on around it, horses and wagons, period fashions on the people etc, in sepia, and then the image turns to colour and in the present day, and instead of horses and wagons and women in long skirts moving around the memorial, apparently not really paying attention to it, you see cars whizzing by the memorial, and pedestrians in modern dress, also not really paying attention to the memorial. I don't know why exactly but recalling that scene always brings me to tears and I'm not certain why. If anyone can point me to the name of this movie I would be very very grateful indeed. TIA.