Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
PfR73

Re: Identify This Movie

#1351 Post by PfR73 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:58 pm

During an Alamo Drafthouse pre-show montage there was a clip from an old black & white film, I’d guess from the 20s or 30s. I could not tell if it was a silent film or from the sound era; there were music & sound effects, but I couldn’t tell if they were added later, there was not dialogue nor intertitles during the clip.

It took place in what looked to be an Old West saloon, a young woman was playing piano for an audience and the piano became destroyed. Near the end, she grabbed the broken piano legs then climbed on top of the collapsed piano and continued playing by striking the exposed piano wires with the piano legs. She was wearing a somewhat tattered outfit. Before the clip ended, she had switched to playing a harp.

DeprongMori

#1352 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:35 pm

It sounds like Harpo Marx in A Day At The Races.

PfR73

#1353 Post by PfR73 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:29 am

No, I would have recognized Harpo Marx. This was a woman. It is kind of a similar gag to that clip, but it's a different film.

dadaistnun

#1354 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:03 am

A woman is at the supermarket and trying to check out. Her credit card is declined and as she tries to sort things out, the line of customers grows longer and more frustrated. It's a comedic short (probably under 20 minutes), pretty sure it was made this century but certainly no older than the 1990s. I believe it was French and the actress fairly well known (at least she would be to members of this forum). I also feel like the camera never really leaves the check out lane area, never venturing further into the store. Any ideas?

edit: in the off chance anyone else wants to know, I figured it out. The actress is Nathalie Richard, the film La Chaine du Froid.

bamwc2

Looking for a Hard to Find Older Show

#1355 Post by bamwc2 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:33 pm

My wife is looking for episodes of a Travel Channel show that aired nearly 20-years-ago called Cash and Treasures. There was a DVD of it released around the time it aired, but I'm not sure if it's only the first of its two seasons or a compilation of random episodes. Regardless, the episode she wants isn't on it, isn't streaming, and isn't uploaded to any of the video sites I know of. Does anyone have an idea of how to track it down? If there's a resource that you don't want to mention on the board, then my PMs are open.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1356 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:23 pm

You might try reaching out to any of the popular YouTube channels digitizing old VHS tapes sent into them and harvesting for commercials, but I gotta be honest, you’re talking needle in haystack. You could try looking up the producers or technical workers for the episode on IMDB and Googling to find their current contact info to see if they have a copy, but otherwise you’re up against it unless there’s a superfan of the show out there archiving every episode for fun (not impossible, but I imagine you’d have found them already if so)

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1357 Post by Never Cursed » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:32 pm

Second quick Q of the board: there's a horror-musical movie that someone wrote up here, whose name I have forgotten, but that I know opened with a parody of the standard "this is a work of fiction" disclaimer that said something to the effect of "although the names have been changed to protect the innocent, the musical numbers will be performed exactly as they occurred." What movie is this?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1358 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:41 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:32 pm
Second quick Q of the board: there's a horror-musical movie that someone wrote up here, whose name I have forgotten, but that I know opened with a parody of the standard "this is a work of fiction" disclaimer that said something to the effect of "although the names have been changed to protect the innocent, the musical numbers will be performed exactly as they occurred." What movie is this?
That was me and it was for Stage Fright (2014)

Matt

Identify This Movie

#1359 Post by Matt » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:46 pm

Replying to bamwc2 above: Figure out which specific episode she wants using an online episode guide (IMDb) and then contact the production company, Indigo Films (info@indigofilms.com) and/or Discovery’s footage library (https://discoveryaccess.com) to see if it’s available. They may not be able to provide it, might give it to you free for personal use, or want to charge you $1000 for it. I’ve been doing video licensing for a long time and I’m consistently amazed by how much people think their old video is worth (or how willing they are to just give it away to someone who asks nicely).

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1360 Post by Never Cursed » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:14 pm

Thanks once more, domino!

Mr Sausage

Identify This Movie

#1361 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:48 pm

No idea if this is a real film or a fever dream I had, but does anyone know of a ninja or kung fu film where the final baddie turns himself into a bunch of frogs and the hero just says fuck this and walks away?

therewillbeblus

#1362 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:12 pm

That sounds familiar, but maybe we just had the same dream

Orlac

#1363 Post by Orlac » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:02 am

Hmm...THE MAGIC SERPENT?

Mooveez

#1364 Post by Mooveez » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:26 am

I have a movie that I'm trying to identify. I watched it many years ago and most of the details are very vague but I remember a few things about it. It was some sort of creature movie and probably from the 70s. It was set out at sea, so all of the creatures could swim. I think one of the creatures and, there might have been more than one, is a turtle. There's a boat that is taken out to sea to look for the creatures. The scene I remember most is of a woman who is skulking around the boat at night. She appears to have a dart in her side. Somehow this indicates that she may have been in the water when the crew fired shots into the water. Is she one of the creatures, somehow? I'm not sure but it's one those scenes that makes the movie easier to identify. Anybody know what this movie is?

bottled spider

#1365 Post by bottled spider » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:37 am

Mr Sausage wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:48 pm
No idea if this is a real film or a fever dream I had, but does anyone know of a ninja or kung fu film where the final baddie turns himself into a bunch of frogs and the hero just says fuck this and walks away?
It's not Kung Fu Hustle is it? There is something like that in the final showdown.

brundlefly

#1366 Post by brundlefly » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:57 am

Mooveez wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:26 am
I have a movie that I'm trying to identify. I watched it many years ago and most of the details are very vague but I remember a few things about it. It was some sort of creature movie and probably from the 70s. It was set out at sea, so all of the creatures could swim. I think one of the creatures and, there might have been more than one, is a turtle. There's a boat that is taken out to sea to look for the creatures. The scene I remember most is of a woman who is skulking around the boat at night. She appears to have a dart in her side. Somehow this indicates that she may have been in the water when the crew fired shots into the water. Is she one of the creatures, somehow? I'm not sure but it's one those scenes that makes the movie easier to identify. Anybody know what this movie is?
Could it be The Bermuda Depths?

Mr Sausage

#1367 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:18 am

bottled spider wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:48 pm
It's not Kung Fu Hustle is it? There is something like that in the final showdown.
No, it’s not Kung Fu Hustle.

pianocrash

#1368 Post by pianocrash » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:57 am

Despite plunging through the last few months of TCM's 2021 archived schedules, I still can't place a film I saw revolving around an ex-Nazi in hiding, disguising themselves with masks of other people (an older woman's, at one point), that took place in the UK. From what I recall, it was the late 1950-mid 60's, as it featured garish greens and a slew of suspicious neighbors that were beginning to suspect the shenanigans as the whole of the plot. I keep thinking it was a Hammer production, but searching that master list yielded no returns, sadly.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1369 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:23 am

You’re not thinking of the List of Adrian Messenger, are you? Not in color, but very similar plot

ballmouse

#1370 Post by ballmouse » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:59 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:23 am
You’re not thinking of the List of Adrian Messenger, are you? Not in color, but very similar plot
Woah. This was the film I was looking for a few weeks ago, posted at viewtopic.php?p=754237#p754237. Were 2 people both searching for the same film?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1371 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:52 pm

Glad I could help! Ironically, if you didn't finish the movie, you missed the vital differentiation that would have allowed everyone to guess it much sooner:
SpoilerShow
All those stupid disguise reveals at the end!

Mooveez

#1372 Post by Mooveez » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:42 pm

brundlefly wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:57 am
Yes, it is the Bermuda Depths, amazing. I found enough clips on youtube to piece together the events of the movie. I don't recall if I ever watched the whole movie, but it looks interesting enough for a low budget monster movie. The complete movie wasn't on Youtube and Youtube doesn't offer it for rental so, I'll have to find it somewhere else.

brundlefly

#1373 Post by brundlefly » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:20 pm

Mooveez wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:42 pm
brundlefly wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:57 am
Yes, it is the Bermuda Depths, amazing. I found enough clips on youtube to piece together the events of the movie. I don't recall if I ever watched the whole movie, but it looks interesting enough for a low budget monster movie. The complete movie wasn't on Youtube and Youtube doesn't offer it for rental so, I'll have to find it somewhere else.
Warner Archive released it on blu last year in two aspect ratios with a director's commentary.

mustud52

#1374 Post by mustud52 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:16 am

Okay, I have been trying to nut this out for ages. It is a movie like Wicker Man and ends in a similar way, although at night. The male lead is entrapped by a woman who appears to be a victim however is bait to lure him to his end. After he meets his end in the fire the woman is seen looking for another victim. I recall it being an English movie most probably made in the 1970's. So like Wicker Man however I recall it being more engrossing. Mind you, I was a lot younger then. Can anyone help me?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1375 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:42 am

Not an English movie from the 70s, but that’s the plot of 80s horror film Spellbinder