Passages

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: Passages

#8526 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:45 am

Veteran character actor Allan Rich. (The performance I remember best is his role as television executive Robert Kintner in Quiz Show: "Then how come you're the one who's sweating?") A one-time blacklisted actor during the Red Scare due to his advocacy for civil rights, he went on to teach and mentor many prominent performers as well. Ironically, when he was unable to find work due to rampant paranoia that branded him a probable Communist, he became a stockbroker, eventually opening a brokerage firm before returning to acting in the early '60s.

colinr0380

#8527 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:04 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:55 pm
Hong Kong director Benny Chan (Who Am I?, New Police Story, Invisible Target, The White Storm) of nasopharyngeal cancer
Who Am I? (which feels like Bourne years before The Bourne Identity!) is one of Jackie's better known and distributed films in the West, shot in English (rather than dubbed, as with Rumble In The Bronx) at around the same time as Rush Hour was becoming his big Hollywood leading man breakthrough. At the very least it has that scene of sliding down a tilted glass roof!

And I am still morbidly curious about and want to see 2017's Meow at some point!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therewillbeblus

#8528 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:39 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:04 am
The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:55 pm
Hong Kong director Benny Chan (Who Am I?, New Police Story, Invisible Target, The White Storm) of nasopharyngeal cancer
Who Am I? is one of Jackie's better known films, shot in English (rather than dubbed, as with Rumble In The Bronx) at around the same time as Rush Hour was becoming his big Hollywood leading man breakthrough. At the very least it has that scene of sliding down a tilted glass roof!
This was a family favorite on its release in my household with my sister and dad especially obsessed. The glass roof stunt is one of my favorite Jackie Chan scenes ever.

colinr0380

#8529 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:55 pm

Its the part where after the death defying stunt he then tries and fails to punch through the window with just his fist that really makes that scene work!

therewillbeblus

#8530 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:16 pm

Jackie Chan is hilarious (thankfully this board has been kind enough to compare him to the silent masters in other threads) and while I don't have a strong sense of China's cultural social mores, he's definitely been inspired by, and adapted his personality to, self-deprecating non-face-saving gags. My dad's favorite (and thus, also mine at 6, 7 years old) is in Rumble in the Bronx when after a brutal stunt, some passerbyers ask Jackie, "Are you okay?" and he replies "No" and runs back out to fight. His delivery is everything, and he almost always kills it.

hearthesilence

#8531 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:01 am

Arnold Spielberg, father of Steven Spielberg.

From Joseph McBride:
I greatly admired Arnold Spielberg, who just died at 103, and cherish the time I spent with him as he generously told me the family history and reminisced about his son's upbringing. Variety published a good obituary giving a sense of his rich long life and his importance as a computer pioneer and paterfamilias to a lively and creative clan. More should be said about his longtime hobby of amateur moviemaking and how he and Steve (as he called his son) worked together as filmmakers in the 1960s as Arnold passed that mantle to his son. I wrote about that creative partnership and inspiration in my biography of Steven, drawing in part from interviews with many of the kids who worked with him on his amateur films from 1957 onward...One of Steven's friends who worked on some of the amateur films told me that in the early days, he wasn't sure who was directing, Steven or his Dad.
Last edited by hearthesilence on Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

hearthesilence

#8532 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:05 am

Jazz dummer Charli Persip, who's had quite a long and distinguished career. It really took off when Dizzy Gillespie hired him for his famed big band in the '60s, which toured around the world on behalf of the State Department (as well as recording several top-drawer albums for Verve Records). And he gave a lot back to the community, mentoring and teaching several generations of jazz musicians.

Lemmy Caution

#8533 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:40 am

I was just coming here to give Charli Persip his due.
He played and recorded with all those Blu Note cats and other jazz luminaries of the '50's/'60's -- Hank Mobley, Red Garland, Lee Morgan, Don Ellis, Gene Ammons, Archie Shepp, Roland Kirk, etc.
Here's the drummerorld obit with a lot of pics of a young Persip down below.
Edit: I believe his 5-year stint with Dizzy was in the mid-50's, early in his career.
1953-58.
Last edited by Lemmy Caution on Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

hearthesilence

#8534 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:59 am

Yep, my mistake, it was indeed during the '50s.

Lemmy Caution

#8535 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:27 am

Forgot to mention that WKCR is playing a tribute to Charli Persip right now. Ordinarily it would be a 24-hour send-off but with the Virus leaving them shorthanded and out of the studio, this one will be somewhat truncated.

colinr0380

#8536 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:12 pm

I just noticed this from back in July: Haruma Miura at just 30 years old. His most prominent role is starring as the main character Eren in the two live action film adaptations of Attack on Titan directed by Shinji Higuchi.

He was also in 2013's The Eternal Zero, released the same year as Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises, and which was quite controversial, being endorsed by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (or Prime Minister until he resigned today) and criticised by Miyazaki.

And he also appears in a Takashi Miike film: Crows Zero II, as well as Shinji Aoyama's 2011 film Tokyo Park.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8537 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:07 pm

Chadwick Boseman discussion moved here

Feego

#8538 Post by Feego » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:17 pm

Leslie H. Freas, Linda Hamilton's identical twin who appeared in Terminator 2.

FrauBlucher

#8539 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:18 pm

hearthesilence

#8540 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:03 am

I remember being surprised when I read that he played for the White Sox for a few good (if not Hall of Fame caliber) seasons. He even won his 300th game with them while playing against the Yankees in NYC. Had I been around and a hardcore baseball fan then (which I was for a few years in grade school), it would've been a real trip.

Anyway, talk about dedication. From ESPN:

Seaver became known as Tom Terrific and rightly so. Since World War II, the only pitcher with a higher career WAR is Roger Clemens. Seaver was ahead of his time in more than his bonus demands. A 1972 profile by Pat Jordan in Sports Illustrated dug into Seaver's dedication to his craft and to lifting weights, an exercise that most players of his era avoided.

"He believes, unlike most pitchers and coaches, that a selective program of weight lifting will add speed to a pitcher's fastball," Jordan wrote. Indeed, in one of his autobiographies, [Nolan] Ryan [who started his career with Seaver's 1969 World Series-winning Mets] mentioned seeing the "doughy" bodies of his fellow Mets pitchers and he too became an early proponent of lifting weights.

"Pitching is what makes me happy," Seaver told Jordan. "I've devoted my life to it. I live my life around the four days between starts. It determines what I eat, when I go to bed, what I do when I'm awake. It determines how I spend my life when I'm not pitching. If it means I have to come to Florida and can't get tanned because I might get a burn that would keep me from throwing for a few days, then I never go shirtless in the sun. If it means when I get up in the morning I have to read the box scores to see who got two hits off Bill Singer last night instead of reading a novel, then I do it. If it means I have to remind myself to pet dogs with my left hand or throw logs on the fire with my left hand, then I do that too. If it means in the winter I eat cottage cheese instead of chocolate chip cookies in order to keep my weight down, then I eat cottage cheese. I might want those cookies, but I won't ever eat them."

Lemmy Caution

#8541 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:44 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:03 am
I remember being surprised when I read that he played for the White Sox for a few good (if not Hall of Fame caliber) seasons. He even won his 300th game with them while playing against the Yankees in NYC. Had I been around and a hardcore baseball fan then (which I was for a few years in grade school), it would've been a real trip.
Speaking of ... I grew up a Mets fan in the 70's. But I had a high school friend who was a big Yankees fan. When we were in college, he invited me to a Yankees game sorta late season v. an okay White Sox team. It turned out Tom Seaver was pitching and had 299 career W's. Pretty cool. It was also Phil Rizzuto Day, and pre-game they gave him a lifetime supply of Budweiser beer, while DairyLea Milk presented him with something, but their cow mascot stepped forward and either stepped on Phil's foot or he just got scared. In any case, Phil took a tumble and fell over backwards and the whole stadium laughed as he got up okay. Holy Cow that tie-in flopped.

Aug. 4, 1985. A Sunday afternoon game that went 3 hours and 20 minutes, possibly extended due to the Rizzuto tribute. Seaver was 40, 37 year old Carlton Fisk was catching him. I was ahead big beers to innings until the 6th, when innings tied me. Yanks were leading 1-0 until the Sox punched through with 4 runs in the 6th. With Seaver going for a complete game 300th career win, the NY crowd got on his side the last two innings. Pretty cool. This was a 97 Win classic Yankees team with AL MVP Mattingly, Winfield, Willie Randolph, Rickey Henderson & Ken Griffey. Yet 40 year old Seaver held them to 6 hits and one run. When it ended the NY crowd chanted his name over and over. A great moment.

What was crazy is that a few years later Seaver joined Rizzuto as the Yankees announcers, and they would constantly refer to that game. Usually Rizzuto would razz Seaver, saying that Seaver upstaged him on his own day at Yankee Stadium, that that's the kind of guy Seaver was. And they'd jest back and forth and reminisce. So I just randomly went to a Yankees game, which I was very unlikely to do on my own, and it just happened to be an historic game that the Yankees broadcasters would reference all the time for the next decade plus.

Lemmy Caution

#8542 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:35 am

The MLB obit/appreciation is good with a few nice embedded vids.

When Seaver tied the record for most strikeouts in a game, he finished the game striking out 10 straight. His 19 game strikeouts has been bested by one, but nobody has struck out 10 straight before or since.

300 W's, 3000 strikeouts and an ERA of under 3.00?
Only Seaver and Christy Mathewson.

hearthesilence

#8543 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:18 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:35 am
The MLB obit/appreciation is good with a few nice embedded vids.

When Seaver tied the record for most strikeouts in a game, he finished the game striking out 10 straight. His 19 game strikeouts has been bested by one, but nobody has struck out 10 straight before or since.

300 W's, 3000 strikeouts and an ERA of under 3.00?
Only Seaver and Christy Mathewson.
That's awesome! Glad you were able to see that game, I wish I had gone to one that memorable!

I was looking at Seaver's stats and he really had an awful year in 1986, which turned out to be his last. Amusingly, he was traded to the Red Sox midseason and they wound up facing the Mets in the postseason (where they famously lost). Apparently, he was never in the running to pitch in the postseason due to injury, but he was there every game in the dugout, giving tips on how to pitch to Gary Carter, Keith Hernandez and others he had faced in the NL (the days before interleague play!). Anyway, he had a decent season prior to that one, so I don't blame him for sticking around, but you take that last season away and his stats would have been more sparkling - he'd still have 300+ wins but much less than 200 losses, not to mention an even-lower ERA and still more strikeouts than Walter Johnson.

The last time I really followed baseball, the two most dominating pitchers I was able to witness were Mark Prior (Cubs, 2003) and Roger Clemens (Astros, 2004), two guys who single-handedly turned two massive underdogs into World Series contenders, and it says a lot that Tom Seaver was evoked in both cases. It also says a lot that unlike Seaver, Mark Prior never really lasted beyond that one season, and even though Clemens is the only pitcher with a higher WAR than Seaver since his time, he notoriously had a lot of "help."

Lemmy Caution

#8544 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:03 pm

Well going from a losing White Sox team to 1st place Red Sox made a difference, as 41 year old Seaver went 5-7 for BOS. But I think he had a thigh injury which hampered him and kept him out of the playoffs.

If you look at Seaver's similarity comp by year, Clemens comes up for ages 26-30, and again from 36-40. And for those early/mid 30's, it's Greg Maddux and Jim Palmer. Mighty fine company.

FrauBlucher

#8545 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:23 pm

I don't really care about the new metrics used. I still look at complete games and shutouts, along with the Wins, strikeouts, era and innings pitched. That's enough for me to tell how great a pitcher is and how he reflects on history of the game. Seaver had 231 completes games and 61 were shutouts. Clemens didn't get close to that steroids and all.

How about this stat...In 1969, Tom Terrific pitched 18 ninth innings and did not give up a run or an extra base hit in those innings. This is as an impressive stat as there is

Lemmy Caution

#8546 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:53 pm

Well, with the advent of relief pitchers and specialty closers the game changed and complete games faded. Just as 30 game winners ended after MLB switched to 5 man rotations. You can't fault Clemens for playing in a different era.

FrauBlucher

#8547 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:04 pm

Well, you can't penalize Seaver's greatness because today is a different era. But compare pitchers from Seaver's own era and not even close how great he is. And btw... Tug McGraw who spent 9 yrs with the Mets as their go to relief pitcher during Seaver's years.

hearthesilence

#8548 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:03 pm

What about Steve Carlton? For those who know him better, wouldn't he be the only one to challenge Seaver from the late '60s to early '80s as MLB's greatest pitcher?

Lemmy Caution

#8549 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:23 am

In the '70's relief pitchers were there when a pitcher got into trouble or ran out of gas. Later, pitching became more specialized with middle relief and especially closers just a standard part of the game.

I'd agree with Carlton as the main Seaver rival. Also Jim Palmer (3 AL Cy Youngs + two 2nd place finishes). To a somewhat lesser extent Ferguson Jenkins and Don Sutton. Some pitchers had shorter peaks, like Catfish Hunter/Vida Blue in the early 70's or Tommy John in the late 70's.

I think the best pitching seasons I ever saw -- from roughly 1975-1987 -- were both in NY -- Ron Guidry 25-3 in 1978 and Doc Gooden 24-4 in 1985. And Hershiser in 1985 was pretty untouchable 19-3.

Aunt Peg

#8550 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:05 am

Birol Ünel best know for his blistering performance in Fatih Akin's Head-On (2004):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birol_Ünel