Passages

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Swift

Re: Passages

#8251 Post by Swift » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Yes, definitely. If you grew up watching WWF in the 80s and 90s, he was a hugely memorable part of that experience. I remember being saddened when they replaced him in the early 2000s with younger, more polished and better looking people and wish they would've brought him back to do his iconic Royal Rumble intro every year, or played an audio recording of it into perpetuity.

I read earlier that apparently he was the one who came up with the WrestleMania name.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#8252 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:37 pm

beamish14

#8253 Post by beamish14 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:13 pm

Wow. He's the one who lensed Spielberg's most beautiful-looking films, and maybe Peter Weir's finest, Fearless. An amazing cinematographer.

Reverend Drewcifer

#8254 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:58 pm

I wondered for a moment how he got the plum job on E.T., considering his limited experience on big features before 1982. But there it was, right at the beginning of his career, as cinematographer on Amblin'.

MichaelB

#8255 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:59 am

Reverend Drewcifer wrote:I wondered for a moment how he got the plum job on E.T., considering his limited experience on big features before 1982. But there it was, right at the beginning of his career, as cinematographer on Amblin'.
He got in touch with Spielberg out of the blue circa 1980 and basically went “Remember me? We worked together more than once in the late Sixties, since when I’ve shot a gazillion commercials”. Spielberg did indeed remember him, and promptly hired him for E.T. - which, it’s worth remembering, was his small, low-key project after the gigantism of CE3K, 1941, Raiders, etc., so he may have felt inclined to take a risk that he wouldn’t have done on something bigger.

lzx

#8256 Post by lzx » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:51 am

Christophe, who last scored, and had a (singing!) cameo in, Bruno Dumont's Jeanne

Dr Amicus

#8257 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:32 am

Pip Baker, best remembered for writing (with his wife Jane) several Dr Who episodes - in one occasion from commission to submission in 5 days - which included the fondly remembered villain The Rani. Also several other SF tv series, and a credit on the gloriously silly Night of the Big Heat.

flyonthewall2983

#8258 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Cameron Swift wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:53 pm
Yes, definitely. If you grew up watching WWF in the 80s and 90s, he was a hugely memorable part of that experience. I remember being saddened when they replaced him in the early 2000s with younger, more polished and better looking people and wish they would've brought him back to do his iconic Royal Rumble intro every year, or played an audio recording of it into perpetuity.

I read earlier that apparently he was the one who came up with the WrestleMania name.
Yeah, Vince McMahon's suggestion was to call it the "Colossal Tussle". He was the longest tenured employee in a company that, if you've read the news lately, wouldn't think twice of getting rid of it's dead weight to save themselves. I've heard nothing but nice things, and yesterday was reminded that he accompanied Eddie Guerrero's body after his death to his home in Texas just so he wouldn't be alone.

Likely wasn't Corona but related to health problems he'd had over the last several years or so.

beamish14

#8259 Post by beamish14 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:59 am
Reverend Drewcifer wrote:I wondered for a moment how he got the plum job on E.T., considering his limited experience on big features before 1982. But there it was, right at the beginning of his career, as cinematographer on Amblin'.
He got in touch with Spielberg out of the blue circa 1980 and basically went “Remember me? We worked together more than once in the late Sixties, since when I’ve shot a gazillion commercials”. Spielberg did indeed remember him, and promptly hired him for E.T. - which, it’s worth remembering, was his small, low-key project after the gigantism of CE3K, 1941, Raiders, etc., so he may have felt inclined to take a risk that he wouldn’t have done on something bigger.

I don't think that's *quite* what happened, as Daviau did some second unit photography on Close Encounters. E.T. was supposed to
be a quicker, no-frills production because it was shot in near-total linear order, and he didn't employ his usual editor Michael Kahn on it, either.

beamish14

#8260 Post by beamish14 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Gene Deitch
, animation director famed for his modernist style, at the age of 95.

He was most famous for directing the Jules Feiffer-designed and written Oscar winner Munro

knives

#8261 Post by knives » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:05 pm

He's also the only man to make me like Tom and Jerry (not even Chuck Jones could do that). Definitely one of the greatest even if he's no longer as well remembered. His children's book abridgments of Where the Wild Things Are and The Hobbit are also great.

dadaistnun

#8262 Post by dadaistnun » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:47 am

Henry Grimes, of COVID-19.

hearthesilence

#8263 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:50 pm

Matthew Seligman, from complications arising from treatment for COVID-19. A great bassist for the Soft Boys, he later transitioned from music to law, practicing as a lawyer who specialized in human rights while also working as a mental health advocate.

Robyn Hitchcock wrote this beautiful remembrance on Instagram.

fdm

#8264 Post by fdm » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:22 pm

As mentioned in that Henry Grimes obituary, Giuseppe Logan has passed as well, of causes related to COVID-19.

whaleallright

#8265 Post by whaleallright » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:16 am

There's something particularly wrenching about this disease picking off elderly African-American musicians, several of whom (like Grimes and particularly Logan) spent decades of their lives in penury, no doubt taking a toll on their health. It's one way the incredible racial disparities of the impact of COVID-19 in the U.S. are registering with me.

hearthesilence

#8266 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:34 am

whaleallright wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:16 am
There's something particularly wrenching about this disease picking off elderly African-American musicians, several of whom (like Grimes and particularly Logan) spent decades of their lives in penury, no doubt taking a toll on their health. It's one way the incredible racial disparities of the impact of COVID-19 in the U.S. are registering with me.
The class disparities (and sadly the racial disparities that come out of that) certainly have been discussed here in NYC. I'm stuck in the city myself - doing fine luckily - but I know quite a few people who were able to seek refuge in the Hamptons and more people who are in much worse situations elsewhere the city.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#8267 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:19 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:57 am
Nobuhiko Ôbayashi, director of Hausu
Nicely done NYT obituary

bluesforyou

#8268 Post by bluesforyou » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:14 pm

colinr0380

#8269 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:13 am

I'm very sorry to hear that. He certainly made an impact on cinema with his role as the butcher in Gaspar Noé's films, with the constant voiceover ranting and unhealthy obsession with his daughter. That character gets his backstory delved into in the 40 minute short Carne, then he gets an entire feature film to himself with Seul Contre Tous / I Stand Alone (which gets a brief summary of Carne before the main feature). Finally Nahon appears, presumably playing the same character, espousing his nihilstic philosophies in a hotel room overlooking the club where a scuffle has occurred in the opening (ending) scene of Irreversible. That's the ultimate example of completely ignoring the general rule about not having too much voiceover in your film! An extreme which Noé took in entirely the opposite direction in Enter The Void.

He sort of became the face of 'French extreme cinema' for a while there in the late 90s up to the mid 2000s with the Noé films, but also in his role as the conjured up relentlessly brutal killer in Haute Tension / Switchblade Romance. And he's also in Fabrice du Welz's 2004 horror Calvaire along with Christophe Gan's sumptuous period horror Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Those are the roles that had most impact on me, but I see from imdb that he made his debut in Jean-Pierre Melville's Le doulos (and later appeared in the 2007 remake of Le deuxième souffle). And since then he has appeared in Luc Besson's The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec and briefly turns up in Steven Spielberg's War Horse!

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#8270 Post by ando » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:33 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:49 am
Indeed. It's now reported that African saxophonist Manu Dibango has died from COVID-19.

The 86-year-old was best known for fusing jazz and funk music with traditional sounds from his home country, Cameroon. His biggest success was probably his 1972 hit "Soul Makossa" - originally quoted uncredited in Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'," Dibango responded with a lawsuit and won.
Thanks. Hadn't realized that he had passed or that he successfully litigated for Copyright infringement against Jackson and Rihanna (Please Don't Stop The Music).

Reverend Drewcifer

#8271 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:20 pm

Ronan O'Rahilly, creator of Radio Caroline, executive producer of Jack Cardiff's The Girl on a Motorcycle and Cy Endfield's Universal Soldier, and devil-on-the-shoulder of George Lazenby.

hearthesilence

#8272 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:21 pm

Theodore Gaffney, from COVID-19. He was one of a handful of journalists who risked their lives chronicling the violence endured by the Freedom Riders as they challenged segregation in the South. He was 92.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#8273 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:43 am

MichaelB

#8274 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:48 am

Paradoxically, Beard's greatest contribution to cinema was to abandon his own project and let his former assistants David and Albert Maysles pick up the slack. Had he not done so, Grey Gardens might never have been made.

neilist

#8275 Post by neilist » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:18 am

To mark this, Re:Voir has made Adolfas Mekas's 'Hallelujah the Hills' that stars Peter Beard free to rent online until this Sunday (26 April) by using the promo code 'STAYHOME'.