West Coast Repertory Cinema

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
beamish14

Re: West Coast Repertory Cinema

#126 Post by beamish14 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:21 pm

Mostly uninspired programming at the New Beverly throughout September/October, but the double bill of Bobby Rory’s Heartbreakers (1984) and Alan Rudolph’s Choose Me shouldn’t be missed. Absolutely beautiful prints of both, and Roth had a crisp, thoughtful, and entertaining Q & A on night 1 and will return for tonight’s encore screening. The New Beverly knows they can get away with programming a title like Woo’s The Killer for 3 consecutive nights without a second feature and sell out all of them, and I’m disappointed with this practice

The high point of the Academy Museum’s forthcoming events is undoubtedly an in-person tribute to the fantastic independent animator Sally Cruikshank, who is screening shorts like Quasi at the Quackadero on October 24th. The Academy is also doing a tribute to the “new extreme” Korean cinema, with titles like Thirst and R-Point bring exhibited

beamish14

#127 Post by beamish14 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:41 pm

UCLA/The Hammer are hosting a huge Theo Angelopoulos retrospective between October and December, with nearly every title being in 35mm. I can’t remember seeing a major revival of his works in Southern California over the last 20 years.

senseabove

#128 Post by senseabove » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:03 pm

Vienet wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:47 pm
Frequent reader but never planned to post. Didn't know where to put this. There is an estate sale in Portland, Oregon claiming to be the "Owner of the Finest 35mm & 16mm Home Theatre in the Country", here are the addresses to the sale and the website with information:
https://www.estatesale-finder.com/views ... leid=11583
https://www.garyhoselton.com/
Included in this estate sale is a print of Preminger's Porgy & Bess, which they're screening on Friday for a small audience.

beamish14

#129 Post by beamish14 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:06 pm

senseabove wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:03 pm
Vienet wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:47 pm
Frequent reader but never planned to post. Didn't know where to put this. There is an estate sale in Portland, Oregon claiming to be the "Owner of the Finest 35mm & 16mm Home Theatre in the Country", here are the addresses to the sale and the website with information:
https://www.estatesale-finder.com/views ... leid=11583
https://www.garyhoselton.com/
Included in this estate sale is a print of Preminger's Porgy & Bess, which they're screening on Friday for a small audience.
Holy shit. I hope that print finds a great home and gets a larger audience

beamish14

#130 Post by beamish14 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:07 pm

Mini Seijun Suzuki retrospective in collaboration with the Japan Foundation at the American Cinematheque. I implore you to see Kagero-Za and A Tale of Sorrow and Sadness, both of which looked phenomenal when I saw them at UCLA’s massive retrospective from some years back.

I am a bit annoyed that the 40 minute long Love Letter is playing by itself, and at full price

senseabove

#131 Post by senseabove » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:24 pm

Does it help if I tell you it's Suzuki with a Sirk/Visconti twist and I assure you it is entirely worth it? The highlight of the three new Suzukis I caught (it, Tale of Sorrow..., and. Satan's Town) when this came through town by far.

beamish14

#132 Post by beamish14 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:52 pm

senseabove wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:24 pm
Does it help if I tell you it's Suzuki with a Sirk/Visconti twist and I assure you it is entirely worth it? The highlight of the three new Suzukis I caught (it, Tale of Sorrow..., and. Satan's Town) when this came through town by far.

You sold me. I was definitely planning on Satan’s Town, too, which was not at the UCLA retrospective. I don’t pretend to completely understand the economics behind repertory filmgoing, but I recognize the amount of labor and money it takes to ship in prints from the across the country and placate rights holders. However, I still can’t fathom why they couldn’t have attached this to some of the other films.

Tale of Sorrow…. My god what a film. That has maybe the best car crash sequence ever. The most intense work of his that I’ve seen, and it revolves around golf.

senseabove

#133 Post by senseabove » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:15 pm

Satan's Town is an early-career curio, worthwhile if you're a fan though unlikely to make new ones, and a bit of a let-down with its fizzle of a feint toward one of the most famous Hollywood noir endings. I liked Tale of Sorrow a good deal, and while it didn't quite gel for me, it's definitely one to not miss. But Love Letter is an absolute walloping surprise. I sincerely hope someone can save it from obscurity—I don't think it's even mentioned in the book that warranted the last Suzuki retrospective!

beamish14

#134 Post by beamish14 » Tue May 16, 2023 2:37 pm

Huge, week-long Abel Farrara retrospective at the American Cinematheque in June. The man himself will be in-person for every screening, and several shows will feature live music from Joe Delia. Disappointed that The Funeral and The Blackout aren’t there, but they got the prints of New Rose Hotel, Go Go Tales, and Mary

yoloswegmaster

#135 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:10 pm

The American Cinematheque will be hosting a 70mm festival throughout July and will be showing the following:
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, BOOGIE NIGHTS, TENET, THE UNTOUCHABLES, SPARTACUS, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, THE MASTER, THE WILD BUNCH, LAST ACTION HERO, ROMA, INHERENT VICE, APOCALYPSE NOW, BABYLON, ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD, YEAR OF THE DRAGON, LICORICE PIZZA, MALCOLM X and ZOOT SUIT
They will also be hosting the Jean Eustache retrospective next month.

beamish14

#136 Post by beamish14 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:02 pm

Very curious to hear about how much color is left in that 1981 print of Zoot Suit. I’m willing to bet that Apocalypse Now is from its 1987 reissue; I saw an IB Technicolor print of the Redux version at the New Beverly last year.

hearthesilence

#137 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:58 am

The American Cinematheque in Los Angeles is holding a retrospective of Victor Nunez's work on July 8 and 9.

Nunez will appear in person along with actors from his films including Ashley Judd, Ed Harris, Todd Field, and Lori Singer. One event has sold out, but the other three have not so if you're interested, you should get your tickets now.

beamish14

#138 Post by beamish14 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:24 pm

Once-in-a-lifetime screening of Penelope Spheeris’ unreleased Ozzfest 1999 documentary/unofficial Decline of Western Civilization entry We Sold Our Souls for Rock ‘n Roll at the Academy Museum with Spheeris in person

beamish14

#139 Post by beamish14 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:44 pm

The American Cinematheque/Netflix’s Egyptian Theatre is finally set to reopen on November 7th with a “business attire” screening of Singing in the Rain

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#140 Post by Drucker » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:05 pm

New restoration of The Searchers at the Aero/Egyptian in LA on April 28. Approved by Film Foundation, scanned in 13K, and airing a new 70MM print.