Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
colinr0380

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#1726 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:12 am

Sorry for the abrupt absence! (Let's just say that when a local internet service provider - who also provides your telephone and e-mail - says that you might experience a "slight overnight disruption" to the broadband, you do not expect to be left incommunicado for ten days!), so I'm very behind on the "Movies on TV" thread. jlnight has been doing their sterling job though! If you will all allow the indulgence, I would like to talk about the films over this week that is about to end just to keep the thread consistent before we move on to more relevant stuff.

So starting from Saturday 10th, in terms of new films we had Scream (2022) on Channel 4 at 9:20 p.m., which is the fifth in the series, the first not directed by Wes Craven and taking on the idea of reboots-overwritings of history in its title of the Halloween (2018)/Exorcist: The Believer ilk. On Sunday 11th, BBC2 showed Aftersun at 10 p.m. The Chilean documentary The Eternal Memory was on BBC4 at 10 p.m. on Tuesday 13th. The Last Letter From Your Lover was another rare premiere on BBC1, shown at 10:40 p.m. on Wednesday 14th (clashing with the very rare repeat of Ken Russell's 1993 adaptation of Lady Chatterley's Lover on BBC4 at the same time, which I do not think has been repeated on TV since its first showing, although it has been on DVD) which is a bit Poliakoff-y, if he went all soft and mushy on us.

The big repeats of the week just gone were the very rare showing on BBC4 of The Three Faces of Eve at 9 p.m. on Thursday 15th and Film4 rotated in Anthony Asquith's 1954 film Carrington V.C. starring David Niven, shown at 11 a.m. on Thursday 15th.
____

With that now irrelevant data out of the way, we move on to the upcoming stuff. Tonight (Friday 16th) Film4 is showing the sci-fi film Save Yourselves! at 9 p.m. (which I relate to, in the sense of the terror of enforced offline lifestyles on the otherwise societally inept. And being in the middle of an alien invasion of course) That is showing in an obviously planned double bill with John Carpenter's remake of The Thing at 10:50 p.m., which is the first time Film4 have screened it (ITV have previously shown it before this) and so also becomes the first time it will have been shown un-DOG-tagged in at least two decades (and before that when it was shown un-DOG-tagged on ITV, those screenings were far enough in the past that they were pan-and-scanned in a 1.85:1 compromise ratio, or completely p-and-s'd to 4:3).

Simultaneously over on BBC2 the Amityville: An Origin Story comes to an end with episodes 3 and 4 in a double bill at 11 p.m., followed by Homebound at 12: 40 a.m.

Into next week proper, Saturday 17th brings two premieres clashing against each other, as Roland Emmerich's characteristically low key Moonfall (dark 'n' moody version of a classic song ahoy!) at 9:20 p.m. on Channel 4 goes up against French drama Full Time at 9 p.m. on BBC4 (which I am probably going to avoid as trying to do a daily commute is far too close to home a subject!)

The big film of the week is on Sunday 18th, as BBC2 in tribute to the late Terence Davies finally shows Benediction at 11 p.m. (though Sunset Song and A Quiet Passion still remain unaired on UK television as yet)

BBC4's Storyville documentary of the week at 10 p.m. on Tuesday 20th is Chinese dystopian futurestate (coming soon to a government/an app near you!) documentary Total Trust: Surveillance State. Which may not provide much new information to anybody who has been following the China Show's excellent series of videos providing information and much appreciated context over the last few years.

Film4 is showing The Kid Detective at 9 p.m. on Thursday 22nd, which I only really know from the Red Letter Media discussion about it.
____

Repeat-wise, Basil Dearden's Pool of London (spoilers) is showing in Film4 at 12:45 p.m. this afternoon, i.e. in about half an hour(!), though if you need more time it is repeated again at 11 a.m. on Tuesday 20th (followed by Carrington V.C. at 12:45 p.m.)

The Iron Petticoat with Katharine Hepburn and Bob Hope enters Film4's rotation at 1:10 p.m. on Wednesday 21st. There is a very rare screening of Francis Ford Coppola's The Outsiders at 10:55 p.m. on Wednesday 21st (i.e. the film that followed Coppola's previous adaptation of a S.E. Hinton novel, Rumble Fish). And as jlnight has noted the other rarity is the first showing in many years of George Sluizer's other English language film (following his disastrous US remake of The Vanishing), 1996's Crimetime at 1 a.m. in the early hours of Friday 23rd. Which has a rare starring role for Pete Postlethwaite and Stephen Baldwin (before he ended up in Christian films), which I have a strong suspicion is the legacy of both being in The Usual Suspects the year beforehand.

BBC4's 'archive television' strand shows 2009's Small Island from 10 p.m. on Wednesday 21st.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#1727 Post by jlnight » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:22 pm

Thank God you've returned! We were going to file a missing persons report!

colinr0380

#1728 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:14 pm

It was probably all of the extreme right wing messages that I post in the forum that did it! Thank goodness I hadn't yet got around to posting my hot take about the Barbie sequel inevitably having to take place in and around the abortion clinic next time around, Citizen Ruth-style! :wink:

The worst thing was that it happened at 3:15 p.m. on Monday 4th, and that was the day I had to get online to enter my electricity and gas meter readings. So I got back home from work at 4 p.m. only to be told I was 45 minutes too late! And from that point on every... single... day... I was told it would be the next day that everything would be back on (except for Wednesdays which was their day off. And the weekends). Until they finally turned up this morning to turn it on again. Luckily I have enough films piled up to survive a multi-decade long internet outage (although I couldn't play any games since everything is online now), and thank you again if you see this jazzo for those books you sent which were a lifeline, but it was getting worrying that the outage was potentially going to tick over into Monday! And I couldn't really say anything to the woman at my local ISP shop about the desperate importance of getting onto my film forum and finding out what new titles that Criterion was releasing this month, because she wouldn't have realised how life and death that was ( 8-[ ), so I was left without much recourse except that to say that I needed to get online asap to check my e-mails! Thank goodness I don't work from home or anything that requires the internet as an essential for maintaining my livelihood as yet.

But I certainly need to figure out something like a smartphone soon so that I at least have a backup ability to contact the outside world in the inevitable case that this happens again in the future.

And so this is not entirely off topic, BBC2 is dropping the last two episodes of Amityville: An Origin Story and putting on an impromptu repeat screening of Navalny tonight at 11:10 p.m. due to current events.

jlnight

#1729 Post by jlnight » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:40 am

Bad Man's River (1971), Sat 24th Feb, Great Action. (???)
River Pilot (short), Sat 24th Feb, Talking Pictures.
The Pardon (2013), Sat 24th Feb, London Live. Or...
Brides in the Bath (2003 TVM), Sat 24th Feb, Talking Pictures. Or...
Quo Vadis, Aida?, Sat 24th Feb, BBC4.

The Emerald Island, Sun 25th Feb, Talking Pictures. (Baim archive short)
The Rescue (2021), Sun 25th Feb, BBC2.

On the Yard (1979), Mon 26th Feb, Talking Pictures. Also late Sat 9th Mar.

Charro!, Wed 28th Feb, Legend. (been on Quest) Or...
One Foot in Hell + Johnny Ringo, Wed 28th Feb, Talking Pictures. (Saddle Up)

The Fly (1958) + Deadly Instincts (1997), Fri 1st Mar, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)
Separate Ways (1981), late Fri 1st Mar, Talking Pictures.

colinr0380

#1730 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:14 pm

Lots of real-life stuff (except for the video game one about monsters) next week. The evening of Saturday 24th has a lot of stuff clashing together as Channel 4 premieres the Paul WS Anderson/Milla Jovovich video game adaptation (that accidentally fell foul of China and got banned there due to a single throwaway punning dumb joke in the film) Monster Hunter at 9:10 p.m. On BBC4 there is the beginning of a new 'world television' series with the Danish series Prisoner starring Sofie Gråbøl showing the first two (of six) episodes from 9 p.m., followed by Bosnian War film Quo Vadis, Aida? at 11 p.m.

On Sunday 25th, BBC2 is showing the documentary about the 2018 Thailand cave rescue, The Rescue at 9 p.m.
____
Interesting stuff repeat-wise. Also on Saturday 24th and clashing with Monster Hunter/Quo Vadis, Aida is a rare showing on Film4 of Roger Corman's Poe adaption (with cinematography from Nicolas Roeg) The Masque of the Red Death at 11:40 p.m.

The most exciting day of the week however is Wednesday 28th, which is an unofficial "Sean Connery pre-Bond" day - BBC4's 'archive television' strand shows the 1961 version of Anna Karenina at 10:15 p.m. preceded by an introduction with Claire Bloom at 10 p.m., (directed by Rudolph Cartier, who also did the television adaptations of the Quatermass series as well as the 1954 Peter Cushing version of 1984. And apparently also in 1961 a television version of Rashomon!); whilst somewhat serendipitiously Film4 are showing one of Connery's earliest small roles (as "Welder #1") in 1957's Time Lock at 11 a.m. (one of Gerald Thomas's earliest films before he became associated with the Carry On films)

Film4 are also currently giving us a crash course in Randolph Scott westerns that were not directed by Budd Boetticher, with Ten Wanted Men at 11 a.m. on Thursday 29th, and The Nevadan (which I am particularly interested in, since it was directed by "Them!"'s Gordon Douglas) at 1 p.m. on Friday 1st March. (Plus one that is directed by Boetticher, with Decision at Sundown at 3 p.m. on Thursday 29th)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

jlnight

#1731 Post by jlnight » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:01 pm

The Man Who Fell to Earth, Sat 2nd Mar, London Live. (on other channels before)
The Cater Street Hangman (1998 TVM), Sat 2nd Mar, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 6th Mar.

Starlight Serenade, Sun 3rd Mar, Talking Pictures. (Baim archive short)
The Lion of the Desert (1980), Sun 3rd Mar, London Live. Or...
True Things (2021), Sun 3rd Mar, BBC2.

Other People's Children (2022), Tue 5th Mar, Film4.

Slipstream (1989), Wed 6th Mar, Legend. Or...
The Proud Ones + Johnny Ringo, Wed 6th Mar, Talking Pictures. (Saddle Up)
Cold Comfort Farm (1995), Wed 6th Mar, BBC4.

A Kid for Two Farthings, Thu 7th Mar, Film4.
Smoke Sauna Sisterhood, Thu 7th Mar, Film4.

The Cabinet of Caligari (1962) + Mortuary (1982), Fri 8th Mar, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

Bad Man's River of course didn't turn up but Death Rides a Horse might (Mon 26th Feb).
Also enjoyed Benediction and its communal sing-song in the brief hospital choir scene. A Terence Davies trademark.

colinr0380

#1732 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:38 pm

jlnight has noted the main items of interest next week but I'll add on some trailers. All the premieres seem to be based around female directors. On Sunday 3rd BBC2 is showing True Things at 10:45 p.m. The French film Other People's Children is on Film4 at 11:10 p.m. on Tuesday 5th and Smoke Sauna Sisterhood is at 11:15 p.m. on Thursday 7th, also on Film4.

The television is a bit more exciting where, following on from Christopher Eccleston reading Kes last year, BBC4 has Alex Kingston doing an abridged reading of Frankenstein at 7:55 p.m. on Sunday 3rd. And whilst I missed Season 2 when the BBC2 showed it, they are showing Season 3 of How To With John Wilson at 11 p.m. on Friday 8th, with a double bill of the first two episodes: "How to Find a Public Restroom" and "How to Clean Your Ears".
__
In terms of repeats, the big evening is of course BBC4's 'archive television' strand on Wednesday 6th, which is showing John Schlesinger's 1995 adaptation of Cold Comfort Farm at 10:15 p.m., preceded by an introduction by Miriam Margolyes at 10 p.m. Perhaps even more exciting is that straight afterwards at 11:55 p.m. is a 1977 version of Henry James' The Ambassadors starring Paul Scofield, Lee Remick and Jeanne Dielman herself, Delphine Seyrig! (The same year she was in Marguerite Duras' Baxter, Vera Baxter)

Not too much in terms of notable classic films entering the rotation on Film4, although they are continuing to work through Carol Reed's filmography with A Kid For Two Farthings at 4:25 p.m. on Thursday 7th.

jlnight

#1733 Post by jlnight » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:22 pm

Death Rides a Horse, Sat 9th Mar, Great Action.
Bad Boys (1983), Sat 9th Mar, London Live. (been on Legend) Or...
Cause Celebre (1987 TVM), Sat 9th Mar, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 11th Mar.

Moulin Rouge (1952), Sun 10th Mar, BBC2. (on last year)
Jugglers and Acrobats, Sun 10th Mar, Talking Pictures. (Baim archive short)
The Souvenir: Part II, Sun 10th Mar, BBC2. Or...
Mothering Sunday (2021), Sun 10th Mar, Channel 4.

Return of the Texan + Johnny Ringo, Wed 13th Mar, Talking Pictures. (Saddle Up)
The Railway Station Man (Screen Two) + The Great Gatsby (2000 TVM), Wed 13th Mar, BBC4. Or...
The Card Counter, Wed 13th Mar, Film4.

EDIT:
Lunana: A Yak In The Classroom, Thu 14th Mar, BBC4. Or...
20 Days in Mariupol, Thu 14th Mar, Channel 4.

Eye of the Tiger (1986), Fri 15th Mar, Legend. Or...
Amityville: Dollhouse + 100 Years of Horror (1998), Fri 15th Mar, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

colinr0380

#1734 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:15 pm

I loved the way that Claire Bloom rather trashed the adaptation of Anna Karenina before the screening last week! Not for the direction and the acting, which she praised (aside from her interesting comment that she felt that she was too youthful in terms of experience that did not feel entirely correct in that particular title role, and that she would have played it very differently even just a year or two later on), but more for how condensed the adaptation was and how being restricted to just two hours meant that a lot of meaning of the story was changed and lost. Which whilst she did not say it, I took as a bit of a veiled shot towards the BBC at the time for not giving it a multi-part series!
____

jlnight has noted all of the main things going on next week. The big premiere is Paul Schrader's The Card Counter on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 13th. The most leftfield new film of the week is Lunana: A Yak In The Classroom on BBC4 at 10:50 p.m. on Thursday 14th.

And then two films clash together on the evening of Sunday 10th with The Souvenir Part II at 10 p.m. on BBC2 going up against Mothering Sunday at 11:15 p.m. on Channel 4. And it should also be noted that clashing against both is the live coverage of the Academy Awards starting from 10:15 p.m. on ITV1 and running to 2:35 a.m.! (Which is particularly important as this is going to be the first time that the Academy Awards have broadcast on free-to-air television in the UK since 2003, as ITV have taken over the rights from the satellite subscription channel Sky this year)

BBC3 has a rare premiere with a feature film spin off of one of their TV series: People Just Do Nothing: Big In Japan at 9:45 p.m. on Tuesday 12th.
___
Repeat-wise, the only item of particular note is BBC4's 'archive television' screening of the 1992 film The Railway Station Man starring Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland, and written by A Taste of Honey and Dance With A Stranger's Shelagh Delaney.

John Huston's 1952 Moulin Rouge film is showing on BBC2 at 12:15 p.m. on Sunday 10th. And Planes, Trains and Automobiles turns up on Film4 at 11:35 p.m. on Friday 15th.

Other than that next week is more about films being traded around between channels, as Django Unchained turns up on Film4 for the first time at 9:10 p.m. on Saturday 9th (in a double bill followed by Death Proof), which will also be its first un-DOG-tagged television screening, as it has previously aired on Channel 5 and its spin off 5* channels.

Similarly domino might be happy to hear that Nerve moves from Film4 to be promoted to the main national BBC1 channel, airing at 11:30 p.m. on Sunday 10th (thereby clashing with the two premieres and the Academy Awards on the same evening) and gets another mid-week screening on BBC3 on Wednesday 13th at 10 p.m.

jlnight

#1735 Post by jlnight » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:41 am

Just a Gigolo, Sat 16th Mar, London Live. Or...
Element of Doubt (1996 TVM), Sat 16th Mar, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 25th Mar. Or...
Jagged Edge, Sat 16th Mar, Legend.

The Ghost Goes West, Sun 17th Mar, Talking Pictures. Also Fri 22nd Mar.
Our Mr Shakespeare, Sun 17th Mar, Talking Pictures. (Baim archive short)
Doctor Faustus, Sun 17th Mar, Legend. (been on TPTV)

Name Me Lawand, late Mon 18th Mar, Channel 4.

Lazybones (1935), Tue 19th Mar, Talking Pictures.
Undergods, Tue 19th Mar, Film4.

Boot Hill, Wed 20th Mar, Legend. (on Freeview before) Or...
Way of a Gaucho + Johnny Ringo, Wed 20th Mar, Talking Pictures. (Saddle Up)
Hotel du Lac (1986 TVM), Wed 20th Mar, BBC4.

Here We Are, Thu 21st Mar, BBC4.

Without Warning (1980) + Serpent's Lair, Fri 22nd Mar, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

colinr0380

#1736 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:56 am

jlnight wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:41 am
Without Warning (1980) + Serpent's Lair, Fri 22nd Mar, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)
Without Warning of course is the killer alien stalking the backwoods film with an astonishingly starry cast behind it: Martin Landau and Jack Palance in particular (in their literal wilderness years before their 90s return to prominence with Ed Wood and City Slickers respectively. Palance is probably in there because he had just been in director Greydon Clark's previous film Angel's Revenge as the bad guy the year before), but Cameron Mitchell and Ralph Meeker are also in the supporting cast. But just as notable is this is one of David Caruso's first films, doing the expendable teen victim in a slasher film thing the same year as Kevin Bacon in Friday the 13th.

Although even more notable is that Kevin Peter Hall is hidden away under the costume playing the killer alien, who of course years later would play an extremely similar role as the alien stalking his victims in Predator and Predator 2! (And did much the same thing in a more benign way as the bigfoot in Harry and the Hendersons!)

colinr0380

#1737 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:53 pm

Relatively underwhelming stuff until the middle of next week. Channel 4 is showing Name Me Lawand at 12:05 a.m. on Tuesday 19th.

Unfortunately everything clashes together on the evening of Tuesday 19th, with BBC1 beginning to show series The Dropout with the first two episodes (of eight) at 10:40 p.m., whilst Channel 5 has a rare evening premiere, of The Girl In The Basement at 10 p.m. (which makes it one of those Lifetime TV movies that is too adult to play at the usual 2:15 p.m. timeslot, even with edits. And from the look of that trailer its doing nothing to dispel that Family Guy joke!); and as jlnight has noted the single premiere on Film4 of the week is also at the same time, with Undergods at 11:10 p.m., which looks like somebody got their Princess Bride stuck into some Brazil.

BBC4's 'archive television' strand on Wednesday 20th is devoted to novelist Anita Brookner with the 1986 adaptation of Hotel du Lac at 10 p.m. followed even more excitingly by an hour long compilation of Brookner talking about paintings culled from the 1981 "100 Greatest Paintings" series.

On Thursday 21st BBC4 are showing the Israeli film Here We Are at 10:20 p.m.

And I missed noting it when it started yesterday but E4 is currently showing Royal Crackers in their 1:35 a.m. in the early hours of Friday mornings "Adult Swim" slot.

jlnight

#1738 Post by jlnight » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:58 pm

West 11, Sat 23rd Mar, London Live. (on before) Or...
Top Gun: Maverick, Sat 23rd Mar, Channel 4. Or...
Dead Man Out (1989 TVM), Sat 23rd Mar, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 27th Mar. Or...
The Wiz, Sat 23rd Mar, BBC2.

Stadium Highlights, Sun 24th Mar, Talking Pictures. (Baim archive short)

Monty Python's the Meaning of Life, Tue 26th Mar, ITV4. (on before)

The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin + Johnny Ringo, Wed 27th Mar, Talking Pictures. (Saddle Up)

The Flying Deuces, Fri 29th Mar, London Live. (been on TPTV)
The House on Sorority Row (1982) + Offerings, Fri 29th Mar, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club) Or...
U Turn (1997), Fri 29th Mar, Legend.

20 Days in Mariupol was moved forward to Monday from the Thursday, probably due to the Oscar win. Not quite as graphic as I was expecting but still disturbing stuff.

colinr0380

#1739 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:00 pm

jlnight wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:58 pm
Monty Python's the Meaning of Life, Tue 26th Mar, ITV4. (on before)
Notably choreographed by Arelene Phillips, who is well known now as the judge on the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing show. It was always amusing to think that the judge on that Saturday night light entertainment show also choreographed Christmas In Heaven (NSFW!) (which apparently includes a long before playing Daphne in Frasier Jane Leeves amongst the uncredited dancers!)

colinr0380

#1740 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:16 pm

A couple of big premieres on the week before Easter, with as jlnight notes Top Gun: Maverick turning up on Channel 4 at 9:10 p.m. on Saturday 23rd. BBC1 goes Ghostbusters crazy over the week however, showing every film on the run up to the premiere of Ghostbusters: Afterlife at 7 p.m. on Good Friday (although it immediately ruins it by repeating the annoyingly wittering 2016 Ghostbusters film at 10:30 p.m. the same evening), which probably is tying in with the release of the fifth film in the franchise, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire, in UK cinemas on 22nd March.

And there is the second film in the dark 'n' gritty (and for some reason 80s synthwave-scored) new take on the Famous Five, with The Peril On The Night Train showing on the CBBC channel at 5:30 p.m. on Good Friday. If it follows the pattern of the first film, it will probably quickly get another higher profile screening on the un-DOG-tagged BBC1 at another point during the Easter weekend.
___
Repeat-wise, as jlnight has noted Sidney Lumet's Diana Ross-Michael Jackson take on The Wizard of Oz (which is at least as conceptually weird as Zardoz) on BBC2 at 11:15 p.m. on Saturday 23rd (part of a Diana Ross night following a collection of BBC performances at 9:15 p.m. and a 1973 Royal Albert Hall concert at 10:15 p.m) and Monty Python's Meaning of Life on ITV4 at 9 p.m. on Tuesday 26th.

BBC4's 'archive television' strand does a Daphne du Maurier night on Wednesday 27th (counterprogrammed against Ghostbusters II over on BBC1!) with a repeat of 2007 drama Daphne (which seems to only have sapphic fan videos set to incongruous modern pop songs on YouTube!) at 10 p.m. followed by this 1971 interview with Du Maurier at 11:30 p.m., which was around the time she was writing The House on the Strand.

And whilst they get shown regularly, it is nice to see a couple of films shuffled onto Film4 with Stand By Me turning up at 9 p.m. on Thursday 28th (which has been on the DOG-tagged Channel 5 for the last decade or more, but was originally premiered and used to regularly show on Channel 4 in the late 80s and throughout the 1990s, so that's a bit of a homecoming); and the 2014 Brad Pitt film Fury turning up at 9 p.m. on Good Friday which has always been on the DOG-tagged ITV and Channel 5 channels before now, so this will be that film's first un-DOG-tagged screening. Plus the 1986 No Way Out also turns up on Film4 at 1:45 a.m. in the early hours of Saturday 30th.

jlnight

#1741 Post by jlnight » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:17 pm

Dead Gorgeous (2002 TVM), Sat 30th Mar, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 1st Apr.

A Circus Story, Sun 31st Mar, Talking Pictures. (Baim archive short)
The Passion of the Christ, Sun 31st Mar, London Live. Or...
Arrows (1979 short), Sun 31st Mar, BBC4. (on before, a classic)

Eagle's Wing, Mon 1st Apr, Legend. Or...
The Black Hole (1979), Mon 1st Apr, Talking Pictures. Also Sat 13th Apr.

Alien Factor (1978), Tue 2nd Apr, Talking Pictures.
Lifepod (1981), late Tue 2nd Apr, Talking Pictures.

Kid Blue + Johnny Ringo, Wed 3rd Apr, Talking Pictures. (Saddle Up)

The Whole Truth (1958), Thu 4th Apr, Talking Pictures. (on before)

They Nest + Disappearance (2002), Fri 5th Apr, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club) Or...
Levity, Fri 5th Apr, London Live.

colinr0380

#1742 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:07 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:16 pm
And there is the second film in the dark 'n' gritty (and for some reason 80s synthwave-scored) new take on the Famous Five, with Peril On The Night Train showing on the CBBC channel at 5:30 p.m. on Good Friday. If it follows the pattern of the first film, it will probably quickly get another higher profile screening on the un-DOG-tagged BBC1 at another point during the Easter weekend.
And that is exactly what happens, with Peril On The Night Train immediately turning up on BBC1 on Easter Monday at 2 p.m.!

Other than that it is pretty quiet. Only a couple of premieres, both over the Easter weekend with Venom: Let There Be Carnage showing on Channel 4 at 9 p.m. on Saturday 30th (dark 'n' moody take on a famous song ahoy!), and Antlers is on Film4 on Easter Sunday at 11:40 p.m.

That's it for feature films, although BBC4 has two feature length documentaries with Tish at 9 p.m. on Easter Monday, and a piece about the discovery of a documentary film thought lost for 50 years about the IRA, The Secret Army, at 10 p.m. on Tuesday 2nd.
___
Repeat-wise, the big one is probably BBC1's rare screening of the 1991 Disney animated version of Beauty and the Beast at 2:40 p.m. on Easter Sunday. For some reason BBC1 is showing The Blair Witch Project at 12:15 a.m. in the witching hours of Friday 5th. And following its premiere on Channel 4 a month or so ago, Nobody transfers across for Film4 for an un-DOG-tagged screening at 9 p.m. on Friday 5th.

Mr. Deltoid

#1743 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:52 am

Kid Blue used to turn up in regular rotation on the BBC as a late-night filler-film during the '90's/early '00's. Think it last turned up around 2003-ish. Underrated, I think. Been waiting for a physical release since DVD, so will be good to see it again.

jlnight

#1744 Post by jlnight » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:09 pm

Everything Went Fine, Sat 6th Apr, BBC4. Or...
Black Velvet Band (1997 TVM), Sat 6th Apr, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 8th Apr.
The Night House (2021), Sat 6th Apr, Film4.

The Cat from Outer Space, Sun 7th Apr, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 9th Apr.
Say Abracadabra, Sun 7th Apr, Talking Pictures. (Baim archive short)
Eternal Beauty (2019), Sun 7th Apr, BBC2.

Yield to the Night, Mon 8th Apr, London Live. (on TPTV before)

The Outlaw's Daughter + Johnny Ringo, Wed 10th Apr, Talking Pictures. (Saddle Up)

A Reason to Live, a Reason to Die, Thu 11th Apr, Legend.

Men (2022), Fri 12th Apr, Film4. Or...
Dark Prince: The True Story of Dracula (2000) + The Beach Girls and the Monster, Fri 12th Apr, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

colinr0380

#1745 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:58 am

A relatively quiet week though annoyingly two premieres clash together on Saturday 6th with The Lost City (a modern riff on Romancing The Stone?) showing at 9 p.m. on Channel 4 going up against the much more exciting prospect of a new François Ozon film with Everything Went Fine at 9 p.m. on BBC4. I was going to make the joke that let's hope it is cheerier than the previous film about decades long Catholic abuse cover up, but its about assisted suicide! :roll:

Later on that evening, avoiding the clash, The Night House (A24-style nervy strings ahoy!) is on Film4 at 11:40 p.m. which seems to thematically bookend Film4's week with another 'crazy dame' horror film, Men at 10:45 p.m. on Friday 12th (which is the day that Alex Garland's Civil War film hits UK cinemas)

BBC4 is also beginning the series Ministry of Evil: The Twisted Cult of Tommy Alamo with the first two (of four) episodes from 10 p.m. on Tuesday 9th.
___
Repeat-wise, the only thing that stood out to me is Film4 showing One Million Years B.C. at 11 a.m. on Tuesday 9th.

jlnight

#1746 Post by jlnight » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:55 am

The Kid (1921), Sat 13th Apr, Sky Arts.
Felicia's Journey, Sat 13th Apr, London Live. Or...
Cabin Boy (1994), Sat 13th Apr, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 18th Apr.

Telly Savalas Looks at Portsmouth, Sun 14th Apr, Talking Pictures. (Baim archive short)

The Death of Adolf Hitler (1973 LWT play), Mon 15th Apr, Talking Pictures.
Real (2019), Mon 15th Apr, Film4.

Frontier Gun + Johnny Ringo, Wed 17th Apr, Talking Pictures. (Saddle Up)

EDIT:
Freddy vs Jason, Thu 18th Apr, Quest.
River (2023), Thu 18th Apr, Film4.

The Quare Fellow (1962), Fri 19th Apr, London Live. Or...
Amityville: It's About Time + Presence of Mind, Fri 19th Apr, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club) Or...
Villain (2020), Fri 19th Apr, Legend.

colinr0380

#1747 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:51 am

Next week Channel 4 is showing Free Guy at 9 p.m. on Saturday 13th. And Film4 has a good week with REAL showing at 11:25 p.m. on Monday 15th and River at 11:25 p.m. on Thursday 18th, which is Junta Yamaguchi's film after Beyond The Infinite Two Minutes, which also turned up on Film4 a while ago, so that director is up there with Ryusuke Hamaguchi in Japanese directors getting exposure on UK television. I am particularly glad that River is showing because for some reason Third Window's Blu-ray release of this has been impossible to order on Amazon UK's site, linking to other films with the same title or even a pair of socks! So, look, I really tried to buy it legitimately but now I may just content myself with the Film4 off-air recording instead!
____
Not too much in notable film repeats showing, although AvP: Aliens vs Predator is on ITV4 at 10:15 p.m. on Thursday 18th.

BBC4's 'archive television' strand devotes itself to the actress Siân Phillips on Wedesday 17th, with a Siân Phillips at 90 tribute at 9 p.m., followed by the first three parts (of a total of six episodes) of the 1974 series Shoulder to Shoulder in which Phillips stars as Emmeline Pankhurst. There is a 20 minute new introduction with director Waris Hussein and Phillips, and then the triple bill starts at 10:20 p.m. and finishes at 2:10 a.m.! The final three episodes will probably be next Wednesday.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#1748 Post by jlnight » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:58 pm

The Gold Rush (1925), Sat 20th Apr, Sky Arts.
Framed (1992 ITV TVM, omnibus version), Sat 20th Apr, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 22nd Apr.

Stories from Lakeland, Sun 21st Apr, Talking Pictures. (Baim archive short)
Beware! The Blob (Son of Blob), Sun 21st Apr, Legend.

Funny Pages, Mon 22nd Apr, Film4.

Fury at Furnace Creek + Johnny Ringo, Wed 24th Apr, Talking Pictures. (Saddle Up)
No Exit (2022), Wed 24th Apr, Film4.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006), Thu 25th Apr, Quest.

The Servant, Fri 26th Apr, London Live. (on TPTV before)

colinr0380

#1749 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:15 am

Rather quiet next week. The only two new films are on Film4 with Funny Pages written and directed by Owen Kline (aka Kevin Kline's son) at 10:50 p.m. on Monday 22nd (which was the subject of an in depth discussion from Jim Rugg and the late Ed Piskor on the Cartoonist Kayfabe channel. They get into a lot of esoteric comic book aspects and are upset by the continuity errors but as a layperson, I found Jim's rant here a funny one!), and No Exit at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 24th.
___
Not too much in term of repeats. Episodes 4, 5 and 6 of Shoulder To Shoulder show on BBC4 from 10 p.m. on Wednesday 24th (therefore annoyingly clashing with No Exit), and one item of note from BBC4's Friday night music strand is that it is devoted to David Byrne on 26th April with a 1987 half hour interview with John Peel discussing Byrne's music videos with him: "Talking Heads Talking Video" at 11 p.m.

jlnight

#1750 Post by jlnight » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:34 pm

The Circus (1928), Sat 27th Apr, Sky Arts.
Operation Outspan (short), Sat 27th Apr, Talking Pictures.
Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams, Sat 27th Apr, ITV2.
Land of the Blind (2006), Sat 27th Apr, London Live. Or...
Goldeneye (1989 TVM), Sat 27th Apr, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 1st May.

Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over, Sun 28th Apr, ITV2.
World of Wax, Sun 28th Apr, Talking Pictures. (Baim archive short)
The Satanic Rites of Dracula, Sun 28th Apr, Legend.

Tomorrow We Live, Tue 30th Apr, London Live. (been on Great Movies) Or...
They Made Me A Fugitive, Tue 30th Apr, Talking Pictures. Also Sun 12th May. (on Freeview before)

The Castaway Cowboy + Johnny Ringo, Wed 1st May, Talking Pictures. (Saddle Up)

Black Beauty (1971), Fri 3rd May, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 6th May.