The Jeffrey Wells Thread

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
MichaelB

Re: The Jeffrey Wells Thread

#401 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:28 am

Talking of trolling, do you have anything to contribute to these forums besides relentless attacks on Jeffrey Wells?

I mean, God knows the man deserves plenty of criticism, but these cowardly, stalkerish personal attacks are rapidly having the same effect on me that Michael Moore's look-at-me bullying in Bowling for Columbine had on my attitude towards Charlton Heston. Which was not, to put it mildly, the reaction I expected to have going in.

And at least Wells and Moore sign their real names to their muckraking.

Glowingwabbit

#402 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:23 am

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:28 am
Talking of trolling, do you have anything to contribute to these forums besides relentless attacks on Jeffrey Wells?
Isn't that what this thread is for?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#403 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:52 pm

Mod here: It is perfectly fine to complain about Jeffrey Wells in this thread. It is also perfectly fine to defend him in this thread. It is not perfectly fine to attack other members for using the thread for its intended purpose. And members are under no obligation to use their real names on this forum. Hope that clears things up.

Orlac

#404 Post by Orlac » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:14 pm

This is one of my favourite threads!

Jack Kubrick

#405 Post by Jack Kubrick » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:32 am

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Elsewhere.
Jeffrey Wells wrote: If only Jay Sebring, in addition to being a dynamic hairdresser to the stars in the late ’60s, had been a little bit of a gun nut, he could have been the hero who saved the lives of Sharon Tate, Abigail Folger and Wojciech Frykowski on the night of August 8, 1969. If he had owned, say, a Walther PPK or a Baretta or one of each and had kept them loaded, he could’ve shot Tex Watson, Susan Atkins and Patricia Krenwinkel right between the eyes.

After which Sebring could’ve written his own ticket in this town, you bet. He could’ve been the pistol-packing hairdresser, Mr. Cool who stood up to the psychos, the new Steve McQueen. But he was too much of a groovy, light-hearted alpha guy to own a gun, and so his life came to a horrible end that night. For the last half-century (and I know this sounds cruel), Sebring has been little more than an indistinct also-killed, and it’s a damn shame.

It never hurts to pack a little heat because you never know what’s coming.

okcmaxk

#406 Post by okcmaxk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:22 am

Jack Kubrick wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:32 am
Jeffrey Wells wrote: If only Jay Sebring, in addition to being a dynamic hairdresser to the stars in the late ’60s, had been a little bit of a gun nut, he could have been the hero who saved the lives of Sharon Tate, Abigail Folger and Wojciech Frykowski on the night of August 8, 1969. If he had owned, say, a Walther PPK or a Baretta or one of each and had kept them loaded, he could’ve shot Tex Watson, Susan Atkins and Patricia Krenwinkel right between the eyes.

After which Sebring could’ve written his own ticket in this town, you bet. He could’ve been the pistol-packing hairdresser, Mr. Cool who stood up to the psychos, the new Steve McQueen. But he was too much of a groovy, light-hearted alpha guy to own a gun, and so his life came to a horrible end that night. For the last half-century (and I know this sounds cruel), Sebring has been little more than an indistinct also-killed, and it’s a damn shame.

Major On Cinema’s Tim Heidecker vibes

yoloswegmaster

#407 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:06 am

Jack Kubrick wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:32 am

Tarantino who?

Orlac

#408 Post by Orlac » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:28 am

What a prat...

Maurice Micklewhite

#409 Post by Maurice Micklewhite » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:11 pm

Wells mistook a hoax trailer for Matt Reeves' upcoming "The Batman" for the real thing and posted an imagined dialogue exchange between Robert Pattinson and himself. He's since deleted the post when his commentators informed him how obviously fake this trailer was.

RBatz: “My naeeme is Bruce Wayeen.” 
HE monitor to RBatz: Really? Because you don’t sound like Bruce Wayne. Your voice has a thin, reedy quality. It lacks that studly, gutty, gravelly quality that Ben Affleck and Christian Bale had. Plus you seem a little thin, and your shoulders aren’t broad enough. Didn’t I read about you training and bulking up for this?

RBatz: “When I was ten, my parents were murdered in front of my eyes.” 
HE monitor: How many Batman movies (Joker included) have reenacted this same tragic double murder? Does it really require being re-enacted again? At what point does repetition become narcotizing? I’m astonished that The Batman, which was supposed to be some kind of revitalizing or a re-invention of the Batman legend, would go back to this same tired trope.

RBatz: “I spent my life trying to fight the same sort of criminals that took them from from me.”
HE monitor: Yes, we’re familiar with this motivation. It’s been drilled into us for decades and made some of us numb. Trust me, there are kids in Karachi, Pakistan who are sick of hearing about it.

RBatz: “But this…this is different. This is bigger than I am. And bigger than you are.”

Rbatz and 30something British actor (who’s playing some kind of bodyguard + motivating Alfred character) dressed in Men in Black / Reservoir Dogs suits: “Show me my car.”

RBatz: “It makes me feel free in a way that I’ve never known.” 
Blonde companion: “Free to do what?”

Where did Lily Collins come from, and who is she playing? Up until this morning the only officially acknowledged female costar was Zoe Kravitz as Selina Kyle, or Catwoman. She has a single static closeup in the teaser, but Collins has two appearances plus a line of dialogue. Who is Collins playing? Is she just a variation on Kim Basinger, Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhaal‘s characters in previous Batman flicks or is she Batwoman or what?

The Batman has been slated to open theatrically on 10.1.21 — 14 months hence.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0coLXVN5e ... =emb_title

Three takeaways from this post:
- Wells has this clear inferiority complex towards celebrity that is evident in his self-portrayal as an authority figure to Pattinson.
- He pays little attention to performers. Pattinson has used pretty much the one generic accent for his American roles and the voice used in the beginning of the trailer sounds nothing like him. Moreover, Wells has seen Sarah Gadon in films and shouldn't be "blonde companion" by now.
- I understand Batman fatigue but those clips were all from very different films with different styles. Come on.
- A credit for a trailer editing didn't give him any pause?

Borges10

#410 Post by Borges10 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:16 pm

I know that Sasha is NOT popular here, but watching her burn her professional identity to the ground on Wells’ site and social media has been bewildering to watch. She’s like the anti-woke Flava Flav to Wells’ Chuck D.

Frankly I think Wells is having a goof lately and getting valuable clicks to set ad rates to, can’t see Sasha being so lucky as her blog’s regulars wither away to nothing.

SamuraiPoetWarrior

#411 Post by SamuraiPoetWarrior » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:20 pm

I am a long time Hollywood Elsewhere reader and registered here specifically to ask the question that I have always wanted to know the answer to:

How old is Jeffrey Wells? Does anyone have any solid information?

Maurice Micklewhite

#412 Post by Maurice Micklewhite » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:45 am

SamuraiPoetWarrior wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:20 pm
I am a long time Hollywood Elsewhere reader and registered here specifically to ask the question that I have always wanted to know the answer to:

How old is Jeffrey Wells? Does anyone have any solid information?
He's 48 according to this post. :roll:

https://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2020/11/23-x-2-46/

Was this supposed to be a joke, trolling or is Wells truly this psychotic?

Gregory

#413 Post by Gregory » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:04 am

So according to his own bio, then, he had a column at roughly five years old.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#414 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:01 pm

hearthesilence

#415 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:14 pm

I can't believe that thought came to his mind, and then he went the extra mile of writing about it.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#416 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:28 pm

That's not even the tip of it. "The Oscars would be committing seppuku to give Minari the award.". This is some next level racism!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#417 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:30 pm

He never fails to amaze.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#418 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:01 pm

He deleted it!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#419 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:05 pm

Apparently not having met his embarrassing blog quota for the day, he also posted his vaccination card, sloppily modified with white-out to pretend he's only 47:

dustybooks

#420 Post by dustybooks » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:07 pm

Soon enough he’ll be borrowing from Dan Nainan’s “pretend to be a millennial” playbook...

Professor Wagstaff

#421 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:21 pm

Wells' age has been an ongoing joke on his site for a while. A lot of the regular commenters rag on him about it.

SamuraiPoetWarrior

#422 Post by SamuraiPoetWarrior » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:55 am

That's very clearly a "45" under than "73". Mystery solved, Jeff was born in 1945 and will turn 76 this November!

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#423 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:56 am

Wells expelled from Critics Choice Association for recent comments, responds
Jeffrey Wells wrote:"I didn’t associate the Oscar race with the shootings," Wells wrote. "A person I occasionally speak to did… big deal. I just listened and thought 'hmm, that’s an unusual angle but whatever.' And this person may have had a point, really, because of the way everything gets associated with everything else these days... it all mixes and swirls together in a big cultural whirlpool. Anyway it seemed like an interesting exchange at first, but then Twitter weighed in with shock and horror and I took it down. It's just words and opinions, man... words and musings and associations. If you had been engaged on this particular angle or topic at a party somewhere, you would have listened and chimed in. You might have disagreed or told the person who shared this perspective that it was insensitive or whatever, and maybe you would have had a point. But because you're a Twitter hyena, you tried to make it into a big thing..."

"To know that I won't be getting the usual swag and DVD screeners during the '21 and '22 Oscar season, and not attending the Critics Choice awards show at Barker Hangar... that's not the end of the world. Not to me, it isn't. But dodging the slings and arrows of the woke mafia is harrowing and upsetting and quite an ugly thing to experience. All I did was briefly and rather stupidly post a digressive conversation, an odd tangent stemming from a terrible tragedy... a digressive discussion that anybody might have voiced or been privy to at any social gathering, if we were having social gatherings. People in my world consider all the currents and echoes and side issues... everything swirls together. Knowledgable people consider all the angles.

"It was the wrong thing to post yesterday — I obviously got that and took it down as quickly as possible when I realized what the reaction was. But when the Twitter wolves are agitated and salivating and thirsty for blood, they copy posts and pass them around like deranged hyenas. Wokesters are the plague and the brain police of our time, and I just hope Michael Haneke or somebody like him makes a film about them some day. If William Burroughs were alive and well he'd have a field day with these monsters.

"Obviously I realize it was a mistake to mention something as trivial as the Oscar race in the middle of a terrible crisis, hours after the killings were first reported. I obviously understand that. I obviously made a big mistake. I realized my error very quickly and took it down as quickly as possible. Mistakes happen. Every so often I'm reminded just how extreme our culture has become in persecuting people for what they think and what they say. My mistake was obvious, but I especially erred by posting a digressive discussion at the wrong time.

"We're living in a time in which someone can lose their job or their platform for something they write. We live with this reality every day. I'm imperfect. I run my own business. I sometimes get it wrong or cross lines, but today's climate is horrific. Terror and intimidation is part of what we're all living through now."

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#424 Post by tenia » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:16 am

For someone whose job IS TO WRITE, yes, it doesn't seem illogical to possibly lose their job over something they wrote, even if on a platform. That's called poorly doing one's job.
It's even more so the case here since it was movie-related, a topic he writes about.
And Wells, who's been doing this buzz-polemic schtick for years now, should definitely have anticipated using these networks is a 2 way street. It doesn't always only work his way.

Lemmy Caution

#425 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:40 am

Some of that is pretty disingenuous.
Gee, who knew that posting something online where you hope sizable numbers of people will read it is different than saying something in private at a party?
And he's a professional writer for chrissakes.
So instead of lamenting what a victim he is and decrying how mean everyone is, simply man up and say it was a stupid thing to post and I took it down quickly once I realized that. Sorry to offend, and get ready to move on.