Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
backstreetsbackalright

#26 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:20 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:Considering the subject matter and Fincher's style, it really does feel like more of an October movie though, doesn't it?
Agreed. I'm just saying that I don't see that a January release is necessarily a burial. Given it's budget, I'd be more worried if it were slated for a pre-summer release.

Fletch F. Fletch

#27 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:10 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:My guess is that filming is running way behind schedule or they want to properly promote the film and not lose it in the September-December film release crush. Generally, Fincher's film's have had some great ad campaigns behind them and I always thought it was a little strange they were pushing for a Fall '06 release.
Yeah, maybe they were worried that the similarly themed De Palma film, Black Dahlia would steal some of its thunder. Not to mention, Fincher was attached to it originally.

Kristoffer4

#28 Post by Kristoffer4 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:12 pm

First reaction to test screenings-I only skimmed them to avoid spoilers, but I am really looking forward to this:
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23688
Also maybe the film has changed it's name to The Chronicles, so that is doesn't confused with that TV movie thing.... :wink:

Antoine Doinel

#29 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:20 am

According to the LA Times, a trailer will be along shortly. Here's a still:

http://kino-express.ru/pics/misc3/zodiac_5.jpg

Kristoffer4

#30 Post by Kristoffer4 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:20 am

Sounds good! :D

Antoine Doinel

#31 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:48 am

An insanely detailed look at Fincher's completely data driven filming method for this film:

[quote]Director David Fincher Spearheads a Hard Drive-based Data Workflow for Zodiac.

Zodiac's Tapeless Flow
By Andreas Wacker

Director David Fincher insists he has deleted videotape from his professional life for good. “I've hated tape for a long time — all the nonsense that comes with tape,â€

Fletch F. Fletch

#32 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:59 am

The movie poster is online.

flyonthewall2983

#33 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:10 am

According to imdb.com, David Shire is composing the score for the film. Awesome poster.

Antoine Doinel

#34 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:53 pm

From JoBlo:
Zodiac pushed back Nov. 7, 2006

Source: Hollywood Elsewhere, Box Office Mojo by: Omar Aviles

When Paramount pushed David Fincher's upcoming thriller ZODIAC to January 19th, 2007, most of us were left extremely frustrated and a little perturbed that they would seemingly relegate what seemed like a sure-fire hit to a notoriously "dump" month or "month where films go to die". And while pushing back the release yet again, this time to March 3rd, 2007, does allay fears that the studio thought the film sucked donkey balls, it's just that much longer we have to wait to see this damn movie. Sure, they'll slap us with the traditional reasons for pushing back a film's release date - need more time to edit, still needs just a little more tweaking, a few actors OD'ed so we need to replace them - but please, no more. Not for a Fincher-directed flick exploring the Zodiac killer. Let's try to keep it at March 3rd, mmk?

Antoine Doinel

#35 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:17 pm

I couldn't get it to work because of Yahoo's fussy player, but the trailer is here.

Matt

#36 Post by Matt » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:16 pm

That's a very strange trailer. The first half sets the mood of a stylish serial killer flick (from the director of Se7en indeed), but the second half makes it seem like some kind of quirky, black humored buddy comedy. Maybe one reason it's being dumped is because no one has any idea how to sell this movie.

Highway 61

#37 Post by Highway 61 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:56 pm

Quicktime verion

I agree with Matt. It's a very bizzare trailer that doesn't know what it wants to be. Also, I didn't know until today that the movie had a three hour running time!

a.khan

#38 Post by a.khan » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:20 am

I thought the 'duality' of the trailer fits the bizzare, oddball and sinister feel of the film.

By the way, isn't the fireworks at the start and the music used in the 'second segment' very Martin Scorcese-ish?

exte

#39 Post by exte » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:56 am

What is this, a fucking comedy?! The music for this trailer is absolute shit. Was that the only think they could come up with to evoke the 70s? You know, for all of Fincher's anal ass control measures, I'm surprised, shocked, he okayed the use of that. Sorry, but what a way to fuck up a promising premise. Cinematographicly speaking, it looks great. And it looks like Mark Ruffalo is our generation's character actor. But still, the music was stenched.

Antoine Doinel

#40 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:16 am

Highway 61 wrote:Quicktime verion
Thanks for the link. To me, the second half just smacks of the studio not knowing how to sell the movie, especially as it has three hours to cover in about two minutes. To be honest, the trailer reminded me of Summer Of Sam a whole lot, and I would imagine that Fincher's film will be similar in tone, but obviously evoking a distinctly San Franciscan feel instead of New York.

But Mark Ruffalo looks like he's going to be amazing in this, and I'm glad to see Brian Cox in the cast as well.

But if Fincher did indeed have his hand in the trailer, his poor music choices don't end there. Check out the trailer he recently created for the video game [url = http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154665 ] Gears Of War [/url]

dadaistnun

#41 Post by dadaistnun » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:38 am

If the studio doesn't know how to sell it, that might actually be a good sign.

Fletch F. Fletch

#42 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:06 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:But Mark Ruffalo looks like he's going to be amazing in this, and I'm glad to see Brian Cox in the cast as well.
And Robert Downey Jr. looks excellent as always. Yeah, Ruffalo looks good too -- I've always been a fan of his... I thought he was quite good in Collateral.

I didn't think that the second half of the trailer was that comedic... at best, maybe black comedy but it was pretty serious and dramatic throughout. And the music didn't bother me that much.

jcelwin

#43 Post by jcelwin » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:16 pm

Look like a trailer parody. Like the shinning one. :P

a.khan

#44 Post by a.khan » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:40 am

Trust me, you need to read this. A fantastic NYT article on Fincher, "Zodiac" and the latest on "Benjamin Button."

[quote="NYT"]
DAVID FINCHER, impolitic as ever, is ridiculing the notes he's been getting from the studio executives overseeing his latest film, “Zodiac.â€

Antoine Doinel

#45 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:47 am

[quote="a.khan"]Trust me, you need to read this. A fantastic NYT article on Fincher, "Zodiac" and the latest on "Benjamin Button."

[quote="NYT"]
“People ask me, ‘When are you going to make your ‘Amarcord?' â€

sevenarts

#46 Post by sevenarts » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:08 am

This sounds like it'll be great, although I'm a bit disappointed he had to make so many cuts -- that two-minute song montage mentioned in the NYT article sounds like a particularly cool idea.

tavernier

#47 Post by tavernier » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:11 am

I'm sure that montage will return in the inevitable three-disc SE.

sevenarts

#48 Post by sevenarts » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:16 am

tavernier wrote:I'm sure that montage will return in the inevitable three-disc SE.
I'm sure it will, which it why I'm particularly annoyed that studios keep pulling this crap. Just let the guy release the movie he wanted to make in the first place, so we can see it in the theater, rather than making us buy "collector's edition" sets just to get the film the director intended. It's like, at this point Hollywood is just forcing cuts because they know they can make money by restoring them later.

tavernier

#49 Post by tavernier » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:20 am

My favorites are the "gag reels" we keep getting on so many DVDs. That's what they literally do: make one gag over the stupidity on the set of so many Hollywood movies. It makes me long for the good old days when Burt Reynolds showed the bloopers during the final credits of "Smokey" and "Hooper," et al.

flyonthewall2983

#50 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:31 am

I'd be surprised if a 3-disc set comes out for this, since it's Paramount. I think the only 3-disc they have now is Titanic. A two-disc is more likely. I'd like to see the gag reel on the Criterion edition of Se7en.