The Science of Sleep (Michel Gondry, 2006)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Dylan

#1 Post by Dylan » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:09 am

I didn't find any existing threads on this, so I figured I'd go ahead and start one on one of my five most eagerly awaited 2006 films, Michel Gondry's "The Science of Sleep." Warner Independent just picked it up at Sundance, and I hope it gets released soon.

From Sky Hirschkron's report at Sundance:

Now The Science of Sleep, I wasn't expecting: the first screenplay penned by Eternal Sunshine director Michel Gondry, it's a thematic recapitulation of the latter, which now, unbelievably, looks restrained and conventional by comparison. To even approach the level of giddy inventiveness going on here, imagine early Godard re-interpreted by a pre-schooler on acid who just watched 8 ½. Gondry sublimates our childhood daydreams and finds daunting significance in them, almost to the detriment of human interest: anything can metaphysically happen here, and when blue cellophane began pouring from a sink, I burst into euphoric, convulsive laughter, mentally going: “have I ever been this happy watching a film?â€

Kirkinson

#2 Post by Kirkinson » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:01 am

There's a great clip online now. I have no idea whether it's a spoiler or not:

Dylan

#3 Post by Dylan » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:07 am

Oh wow! =D>

Let me reafirm what I just watched: Gael-Garcia Bernal dreaming that he's the God of the universe, his arms spread out and jumping while controlling a stop-motion toy wonderland, releasing a grudge he carries against his co-workers and bosses? Just giddily wonderful...I loved it! Way to go Michel!

August can't come soon enough.

Fletch F. Fletch

#4 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:33 pm

Dylan wrote:Oh wow! =D>

Let me reafirm what I just watched: Gael-Garcia Bernal dreaming that he's the God of the universe, his arms spread out and jumping while controlling a stop-motion toy wonderland, releasing a grudge he carries against his co-workers and bosses? Just giddily wonderful...I loved it! Way to go Michel!
I really dig the use of The White Stripes in this clip. Can't wait for this one either.

ltfontaine

#5 Post by ltfontaine » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:07 am

imagine early Godard re-interpreted by a pre-schooler on acid

The use of the expression "on acid" as a breathless shorthand descriptor for every instance of formal extremity in art, real or imagined, cited primarily by people who have never taken LSD, should be permanently retired. There is much art that has been created under the influence and it rarely resembles the mostly tired stuff that is touted as deriving from an encounter with hallucinogenics.

Fletch F. Fletch

#6 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu May 11, 2006 9:15 am

Antoine Doinel

#7 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:17 am

Gondry is already planning a b-movie cut for the DVD release.
As an aside, Dave Chappelle's Block Party is one of my favorites of the year.

Oh thanks. Yeah, I worked with my friend Jeff Buchanan, he brought so much to it, and it was such a nightmare. We had nine hours of concert with nine cameras and the rest of the day we had one or two cameras. I hope they are going to release a long version in September, an extended DVD. It's going to be every song, maybe 40 minutes more. On Science of Sleep I'm going to do a B version of the movie on the DVD that's made up entirely of the deleted scenes, it will be 45 minutes long.

Antoine Doinel

#8 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:21 am

Two trailers here

bkimball

#9 Post by bkimball » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:45 am

I got a chance to see this at Sundance. I highly recommend this film to anyone who is a fan of orginal films. Complete Gondry madness/surrealism

Antoine Doinel

#10 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:14 am

Lots of clips here

Dylan

#11 Post by Dylan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:04 pm

Lovely poster:

Last edited by Dylan on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dylan

#12 Post by Dylan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:43 am

US trailer.

It looks lovely in every sense of the word. I really can't wait to see it.
Last edited by Dylan on Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

King of Kong

#13 Post by King of Kong » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:49 am

I'll be seeing this next weekend. Can't wait :P

King of Kong

#14 Post by King of Kong » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:59 am

Saw it - an absolute delight of a film - several reviewers have been calling it a "confection" and that's exactly what it is. It's the kind of film Jean-Pierre Jeunet would give his eye-teeth to make - creative, stylish, whimsical (but not twee), touching, funny as hell. I recommend it to any and everyone.

Antoine Doinel

#15 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm

The Reeler wrote:Dream Big: Gondry Chat Draws Hundreds in SoHo

Hate to say I told you so about getting to SoHo early for last night's Michel Gondry appearance: A few hundred fans had packed the Apple Store's second-floor theater by around 6:30 (for a chat that started at 7), but seats were gone well before that and the queue winding onto Wooster Street was little fun in the rain. With nothing to left of the decimal point in The Reeler's bribe budget, I blew the usher to let me sneak up to the front, where the filmmaker joined indieWIRE boss Eugene Hernandez for a comprehensive clip-show conversation and Q&A sprawling from his early years in music video to his superb new feature, The Science of Sleep, which opens Sept. 22.

I noted here what outtakes I could before giving up on the translating game; Gondry is funny, spirited and exceedingly smart, but fuck if I could not make out every third or fourth sentence. What I could decipher, though--well, I don't know. It mostly makes sense:

ON SURVIVING HUMAN NATURE: "I was really depressed after Human Nature because critics weren't so nice to me, so I took a notebook, and I wrote everything that was mean, and I tried to figure out why it was bothering me. The reason it was bothering me was that there was some truth in it, and I had to find out how I could make it develop. So I had this 40-page book that's become my, um... It was pretty awful. But it really helped me when I did Eternal Sunshine. Everyday when I would go to the shooting, it would help not to forget the goal I had set for myself. Every time I would go in that book with the lists, it was a good thing."

Hernandez: "So there's 40 pages just from Human Nature?"

Gondry: "Yeah. But I've lost it now. It was too bad."

ON THE IMPACT OF DREAMS ON HIS CREATIVE PROCESS: Sometimes I write them down, or I do drawings. I have a lot of paper; it's not like I have a book. I don't think I can do something that's so organized. But I have a very bad sleeping pattern. I sleep very little, but from what I read in some books, if you skip a night of sleep, the next night, you REM sleep doubles. So particularly what it said was that if even if you sleep a little, the amount of dreamng is consistent. In my case, I sleep very bad and terrible, so the few times I sleep I keep dreaming. ... And I wake up with very strong feelings that the dream was real. And I screened this for some therapists who are working on dreams, and we talked about what could happen to provoke that. I have sleep apnea, which is a problem. Maybe my brain has a lack of oxygen, but I work in a different way from other people when I wake up, and sometimes I have a hard time telling the difference from sleepy time. Maybe my brain wakes up in a different way. Basically I wrote this experience and this tradition; I thought it would be interesting to experiment."

ON HIS FIRST MUSIC VIDEO: "The first video I made was for a girl who was six feet tall. She had a huge nose and big feet; I dressed her like a princess and she looked like a drag queen. I completely failed. And on top of that, her partner in the video--I dressed him like a drag queen because it was the song. It was a complete horror, this video. I remember when I showed it to my family, I had spent two months during the post-production, and they didn't say a word. I knew they were horrified. They couldn't look me straight in the eyes. It took me a long time to understand that I really had to fix this problem."

ON HIS NEW FILM: "It's called Be Kind Rewind. It's a comedy with Jack Black and Mos Def, Mia Farow and Danny Glover, and it's a story about theese two guys who work in a video store run by Danny Glover, and when he's away for a week... Jack Black becomes magnetized and erases all the tapes by mistake. So they don't want to disappoint their boss, and the only way they can think of to cover their mistake is to start to reshoot the films one after the other. The first movie is going to be Ghostbusters. They go out and take their camera and shoot the film in two hours, like playing all the parts and stuff. [Customers] realize they are not the real movies, but it is actually pretty funny because it's Jack Black and Mos Def. And so they become a big hit in town, and little by little they reshoot the originals. ... We're in this little town, Passaic, New Jersey, where we found all of our locations. In fact, one of the mechanics who worked on Eternal Sunshine has his shop there, and so I went to visit him with the idea. His shop is next to a power plant, so he always complains he's having headaches and stuff."

The event wound down with a sneak preview of a new Beck video for the song "Cell Phone's Dead," a one-room, black-and-white exercise featuring the plaid-suited singer morphing into a hulking figure of cardboard boxes, wood blocks and, I think, a bedroom dresser. Or maybe he just climbed into it. I have got to take better notes. At any rate, give Gondry a shout if you happen to be traveling through Passaic (he starts shooting today) and get some Sleep later next month.
Be Kind Rewind sounds awesome.

soma

#16 Post by soma » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:58 pm

This is easily one of my most anticipated films for '06. The trailer is AMAZING.

Cinesimilitude

#17 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:21 am

I cant wait for it either, gondry quickly became one of my favorite current directors with eternal sunshine.

Antoine Doinel

#18 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:16 am

If you're in New York, Deitch Gallery has an exhibit dedicated to the film.

Antoine Doinel

#19 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:51 pm

Gondry does the NY Times Magazine:

[quote]Le Romantique

By LYNN HIRSCHBERG
Published: September 17, 2006

On a sunny day in June, Michel Gondry, director of the movie “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mindâ€

dadaistnun

#20 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:39 pm

Hoberman's review.

If this doesn't put asses in seats
The rest is more like Romper Room Resnais or a cross between David Cronenberg's Spider and Pee Wee's Playhouse.
nothing will.

Cinesimilitude

#21 Post by Cinesimilitude » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:51 pm

I'm more of a fan of the 'godard-channeling, fellini-watching preschooler on acid' comment, but then again, My ass is in the seat for anything gondry is attached to.

davebert

#22 Post by davebert » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm

I saw Science of Sleep this afternoon and really enjoyed it, although after the film I heard a few sixty-somethings grumbling behind me that they had fall asleep (let the jokes fly!), or didn't understand what was going on, or just otherwise hated it.

But for me, the use of all the stop-motion animation and pre-CGI tricks are what I wish more movies were. It is prone to going on extended dream sequences that have nothing to do with the actual plot, which is actually very straightforward, so I don't see why anyone would complain that we're missing that. Not that the story itself isn't a well-told mix of fun and sadness, but this is clearly a vehicle for Gondry visual fantasies. And a good one at that.

Barmy

#23 Post by Barmy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:54 pm

I fell asleep (let the jokes fly!), or didn't understand what was going on, or just otherwise hated it.

BIG mistake for me to see this the day after INLAND EMPIRE.

Antoine Doinel

#24 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:36 pm

What a wonderful film that I was ready to watch again when it was over. It's such a wild, romantic, dream. Gondry conjures up some stunning imagery and the story, about two creatives/obsessives falling into a relationship is beautiful and surprisingly observant.

Dylan

#25 Post by Dylan » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:07 pm

Ten months after starting this thread I've finally seen "The Science of Sleep," and it's wonderful, everybody should see it.
Last edited by Dylan on Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.