Sun Don't Shine (Amy Seimetz, 2013)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Harvey Weinstein & Other Hollywood Abuse Accusations

#1 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:00 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:58 am
Brutal. I'll use this depressing press as a reason to find a bright spark and remind folks that Seimetz's new film drops on Friday from Neon, and the buzz is unsurprisingly strong.
I also really liked her movie Sun Don't Shine

therewillbeblus

Sun Don't Shine (Amy Seimetz, 2013)

#2 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:19 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:00 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:58 am
Brutal. I'll use this depressing press as a reason to find a bright spark and remind folks that Seimetz's new film drops on Friday from Neon, and the buzz is unsurprisingly strong.
I also really liked her movie Sun Don't Shine
Well, that's some raw filmmaking, thanks for the rec! The way Seimetz opens it up in media res is one of the most inspired and thrilling uses of that device I've seen.

therewillbeblus

Re: Harvey Weinstein & Other Hollywood Abuse Accusations

#3 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:59 pm

Re Sun Don't Shine (because I have no idea where else to put it), my girlfriend thought the intense sound design that seemed to be mimicking Sheil's chaotic psyche, coupled with the plot
SpoilerShow
of them riding around with a dead body in the trunk
made the film a retelling of Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart. I never would have read it this way, but find myself liking that weird spin on the classic short story the more I think about it. The ending fits too (for one character, and subverts it into a hybrid of self-preservation and dissociated confusion for the other!)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Sun Don't Shine (Amy Seimetz, 2013)

#4 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:31 pm

This will be on the Criterion Channel starting in August.

therewillbeblus

#5 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:35 pm

This is also a reminder of just how talented Kate Lyn Sheil is, and I'm sure that her perf in She Dies Tomorrow will only reinforce that claim. Seimetz makes some really interesting stylistic choices here, but Sheil's magnetic performance is what will burn it into my brain for life.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:35 pm

Even before she worked on the Girlfriend Experience, Soderbergh praised Seimetz as a filmmaker doing great things with no money

therewillbeblus

#7 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:57 pm

One more thing that I totally forgot to mention, but immediately disturbed me about this film:
SpoilerShow
The opening where the boyfriend starts strangling her and she says she can't breathe - could be a coincidence, and this is long before the report of that hotel room incident took place with Carruth, but obviously DV usually goes unreported for years, their relationship started around this time, and either way it's just eerie (though there's a lot of disturbing information fleshing out the nature of this toxic relationship in general, which always makes one wonder how close the filmmaker is to real-life insight for these behaviors/experiences).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:05 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:35 pm
This is also a reminder of just how talented Kate Lyn Sheil is, and I'm sure that her perf in She Dies Tomorrow will only reinforce that claim. Seimetz makes some really interesting stylistic choices here, but Sheil's magnetic performance is what will burn it into my brain for life.
She was fantastic in Kate Plays Christine, something that ultimately doesn't work but is a fascinating piece of work nonetheless because of Sheil

therewillbeblus

#9 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:44 pm

She was absolutely terrific on House of Cards, a show I'm not crazy about (though I really liked the third season, which I think most hated) but Sheil brought enough pure heart to contest with such a cold show that she stood out amongst the manipulations with her authenticity. I can't imagine a more perfect casting for that purpose than her.

This reminds me that I should really check out The Girlfriend Experience series, which I avoided with disinterest due to the movie but I know it has its avid supporters here.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#10 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:57 pm

I'm still saving the second season for a rainy day, but the first is one of the best things to ever air on premium cable