I Saw the TV Glow (Jane Schoenbrun, 2024)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
therewillbeblus

I Saw the TV Glow (Jane Schoenbrun, 2024)

#1 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 03, 2024 6:15 am

I Saw the TV Glow: As I left my screening last night, I vowed not to write about this film yet - a hesitation born partially from its elliptical and vast scope exhausting my brain trying to outpace the bodily sensations and emotional impact I was feeling but could not annotate. However, while I'll leave the allegorical speculation on sexuality and gender identity and how we're shaped by (and unlock parts of our 'self' through) media - surrogate characters in particular - and many, many other self-reflexive aspects for others to dissect, I did find Jane Schoenbrun's follow-up to We're All Going to the World's Fair in step with that film's bitter, fearless sincerity and surging empathy for the human experience. For example, even though the film is not above using its beloved show as parodic for laughs, Schoenbrun plays the seriousness the characters approach the show.. seriously. Brigette Lundy-Paine has a monologue in the last act that's so absurd, but played straight and nails the intended tone. It's one of those challenges I haven't seen pulled off as well since Pig sold its similarly-ridiculous conceit in the end based on a combination of Cage and Arkin's performances' genuineness - I can't believe I didn't hear a snicker in either theatre, but I could hear a pin drop.

Otherwise, It's an aesthetic dreamscape, has an OST immediately earned as a cultural touchstone before release, and a profound meditation on that feeling of being out of place, afraid, and alone. I found myself thinking a lot about how the two friends represent the polarizations of a socially-bruised personality (ever more appropriate as we get further into internet culture) - Brigette Lundy-Paine playing the person, like her show-equivalent, who feels like she 'knows her self' and wants to participate and create experience and yet she'll keep moving and running because nothing is good enough; while for Ian Foreman's Owen, only "nothing" is good enough, perpetually afraid of participation, finding out who he 'is' inside, or deviating from the path assigned to him. Plus, the way culture can feel like the safest, even-necessary way to form human connections, but it too is fleeting as nostalgia carries its own form of loss - though the passing of cultural objects as inherently meaningful, expressed with a sublime tracking shot over Caroline Polachek's song, gently challenges this assertion as mutually exclusive from other value, and also makes it an art product for Gen X in many ways.

The two have as many similarities as differences - in their home lives, how they connect deeply to media, the drive to avoid or run from dysphoria as well as to run to whatever marker of safety is there (solitude, a TV show), and ultimately a differentiation of outcomes based on their journeys and personalities: Is it a question of leaning into faith as profitable, or derealization as problematic? Possibly both and their opposites. This film has one of the most optimistic endings to a movie I've ever seen, before Schoenbrun refuses to end their film on a cathartic, unambiguous Win and arguably gives us one of the most depressing. Like their last film, I choose to look at it as both, and everything in between -
SpoilerShow
though the implication that Owen doesn't change as time slips by, despite all the 'things' he accumulates (including, apparently, a family?), says a lot I don't want to hear, but maybe I need to.
Addendum: Schoenbrun dishes out a layered Twin Peaks reference at one point, which includes The Return - and now that I've reflecting a bit more on the film, I realize that the closest cousin to this film is Twin Peaks: The Return. It's a very reflexive gesture, but the entire vibe of this movie and its thematic interests are close to Lynch's with that follow-up project, and I look forward to someone other than me writing up a long thinkpiece on their connection.

The movie is also - and this isn't really a spoiler, but.. - an anti-horror movie, in that
SpoilerShow
Owen bolts and hides from any opportunity to engage in the extroverted activity that may lead to 'horror'. Its anti-climax is its climax, as Owen has his own compromised experience of self-discovery that's fleeting, but we don't get in on the fun because it's his story more than Maddy's. And yet it's (or, at least I find it) so cathartic to stew with Owen, and share in that challenging experience. Schoenbrun doesn't cop out, and that might mean that a lot of people walk away unhappy, but it's true to the themes and the character.
This one's for those of us who identify with Barry Egan

therewillbeblus

Re: The Films of 2024

#2 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 14, 2024 9:36 am

I saw TV Glow again and found myself oscillating between more literal and elliptical readings
SpoilerShow
There's something nefarious yet ambiguous about whether media has the power to set parts of us free and trap us alike, depending how we use it or how its relationship with our personal traits develops. And yet, there's something far less ambiguous about the tragedy of Owen's inability to realise his identity as either queer in some form or a different gender entirely. There's nothing subtle about the opening scenes where a young Owen gets up and explores the place he's both mesmerized and trapped in, inspired by the soundtrack of a self-actualized non-binary talent covering a song sung speaking to self-conscious young women finding themselves.

The Narrator Returns

#3 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue May 14, 2024 1:13 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:15 am
Brigette Lundy-Paine has a monologue in the last act that's so absurd, but played straight and nails the intended tone. It's one of those challenges I haven't seen pulled off as well since Pig sold its similarly-ridiculous conceit in the end based on a combination of Cage and Arkin's performances' genuineness - I can't believe I didn't hear a snicker in either theatre, but I could hear a pin drop.
I had a very different experience with this scene, my sub-ten-person audience was quiet except for one person who was sobbing through it, to the point they had to leave the theater to recompose themselves. I can't know for sure the reason it affected them that deeply but I still understand it perfectly, it's a metaphor that's maybe 10% of a metaphor. Which brings me to your most recent spoilered section.
SpoilerShow
The whole movie and its take on transness is in the juxtaposition of the Maddy and Owen sides of the narrative, the painful ambiguity of whether one's new identity is yourself or just a compendium of the media that you've projected onto versus the absolute certainty that you're destroying yourself if you choose to stay in your old shell. Your separation of "literal and elliptical" I think will reflect how audiences (at least the ones willing to give themselves over to it) will divide over it, those who are fascinated and disturbed by it from an understanding but still "safe" distance (like how I watched We're All Going to the World's Fair) versus those who'll react to it like a piercing shriek directly in their ear, no room for misinterpretation of what they're seeing and hearing. I'm in the latter camp all the way, to the point I can't really bring myself to understand those who merely thought it was "cryptic". It's not a message movie but the message is literally written out in children's sidewalk chalk.
Last edited by The Narrator Returns on Tue May 14, 2024 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 14, 2024 1:55 pm

Well said, and agreed on many levels. It's difficult for me to parse out my thoughts on this film because it's more... 'poetic'(?) than any film I've seen in some time, and deliberately undefined in a way I've never seen before quite like this. I have lots more thoughts related to your spoilerbox that I wanted to post, but I don't think they'd make much sense and are probably better kept within (not to the extent of Owen, but to process alone!)

therewillbeblus

#5 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed May 22, 2024 7:08 am

Another TV Glow Easter Egg:
SpoilerShow
In addition to Durst and Pete & Pete showing up in nefarious-feeling roles, the credits reveal that the movie Owen's theatre plays early on is actually real footage from Transmorphers, which I believe was a DTV knock off of Transformers that was released at the same time the real version was in theaters. Those production houses made money by tricking people at video stores into getting it when they thought they were renting the real thing, but it was certainly never in theatres. Just more evidence that Owen is in the wrong place, or body allegorically.
Also, can't stop listening to NIN's "Right Where It Belongs," which feels like an eerie inspiration for the film's conceit