239 Madigan

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

239 Madigan

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 19, 2022 6:40 pm

MADIGAN
(Don Siegel, 1968)
Release date: 22 August 2022
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK Blu-ray premiere)

Pre-order here

Madigan teams Hollywood legends Richard Widmark (Pickup on South Street, Two Rode Together) and Henry Fonda (Young Mr. Lincoln, Midway) in a brutal tale of crime set in Spanish Harlem. As Commissioner Russell tries to keep his precinct in order, detectives Madigan (Widmark) and Bonaro (Harry Guardino) struggle to balance their personal and professional commitments when they are given just 72 hours to apprehend the spree killer who has stolen their weapons.

Directed by Don Siegel (Charley Varrick, The Lineup) immediately prior to his acclaimed collaborations with Clint Eastwood, Madigan is typical of the director's tough, no-nonsense style, bridging the gap between classic film noir and the gritty police procedurals of the 1970s. Also boasting a script co-written by once-blacklisted writer Abraham Polonsky (Body and Soul, Force of Evil), Madigan's success led to its being turned into a television series.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with writers and film experts Barry Forshaw and Kim Newman (2022)
• Richard Widmark on ‘Madigan’ (1983): extract from the French television programme Cinéma cinémas
• Super 8 version: cut-down home cinema presentation
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive 32-page booklet with a new essay by Elena Lazic, an archival interview with Don Siegel, an extract from A Siegel Film, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies

• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD239
BBFC cert: 12
REGION B
EAN: 5060697921786

MichaelB

Re: 239 Madigan

#2 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:45 am

Final specs:

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:25 pm

Delayed to 12 Sep

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:47 am

Finch

#5 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:17 am

Jonathan S

#6 Post by Jonathan S » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:57 am

Slarek on Cine Outsider wrote: Super 8 Version (17:54)
This Super-8 version of the film released for home viewing cuts the film down to less than a fifth of its original length and thus plays more like a highlights reel, one cropped to 4:3 and almost completely age-drained of colour.... Particularly odd is the inclusion of a new line of dialogue in the opening raid on Benesch's apartment, which is delivered off screen by someone pretending to be either Madigan or Bonaro: "Sorry to break in on you and your wife, Barney." Hard to believe that even in the early 1970s, when I presume this version was released, somebody thought it morally questionable to show a man and woman in bed together unless they were married. Then again, any hint that any of the characters are having an affair has also been soundly excised.
I found a review of this Super 8 version in a 1979 issue (#21) of the UK Super 8 Collector magazine, which usually covered these American cutdowns as soon as they were released in the UK. So it was probably a late 1970s edition - not that it makes much difference in terms of changing sexual attitudes on that level! But it does mean that Madigan would have been available to TV by then (in the UK it was first televised in 1973) and I wonder if that line of dialogue was added for one of those prim US TV versions we discussed in relation to Diary of a Mad Housewife? The Super 8 abridgement would certainly have been transferred from a pan & scan edition that had already been prepared.

These 400 feet (20-minutes or so) Super 8 cutdowns didn't appear from the big Hollywood studios until 1975, at least in the UK. Columbia were the first here and Super 8 Collector #2 carried previews of the Columbias already issued in America. Although Columbia did notoriously add a narrator to these editions, I'd be surprised if the big studios would have gone to the trouble of dubbing in dialogue, just for Super 8, unless perhaps it was necessary (as, allegedly, with the Columbia narrator) to clarify - or simplify - the plot. I haven't seen this edition but I suppose "wife" might have been added for simplification and could also be interpreted as an extra Madigan sarcasm in that scene! The Super 8 editors usually reduced this sort of film to action highlights.

The original reviewer of the Super 8 Madigan Keith Wilton (a professional editor who I recall was later hired to prepare similar editions of classic Warner titles) thought it was "quite a well abridged version... with good picture and sound quality - a great improvement on the last batch of Universal 8 releases which tended towards magenta and were from indifferent master material." Of course, most of these Super 8 colour abridgements have now turned magenta, judging from those on eBay, and it beggars belief that collectors paid £30 each in the 1970s for them, equal to about £120 now!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#7 Post by Drucker » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:01 pm

Funny observation, especially considering how many of the films characters end up in bed with a woman that isn't their wife!

Watched this film this week and absolutely loved it. I'm realizing I've barely scratched the surface on Don Seigel and absolutely loved this and Charley Varrick. The on-location shots of NYC in the 60s are excellent (and make the studio back lot sets towards the end of the film all the more obvious). And it's a real shame we only get 7 minutes with that Richard Widmark interview because even at that short length it's one of my favorite extras I've seen in some time.