International Blu-ray discs

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
yoloswegmaster

Re: International Blu-ray discs

#526 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:54 pm

tenia wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:48 pm
Nobody knows so far. I'd wait until it physically materialises.
Do you know if Colored Films is a legit company?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#527 Post by tenia » Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:20 pm

It's an off-shoot from ESC, they also have released Cruising and The Conformist in France. They aren't very active, but are legit. ESC however are known for having an overly enthusiast (ie marketing-driven) communication (for instance, they teased 5 years ago for their Hanging Rock release which is only happening now), so while this one already has listings on sites like Fnac, I'm still waiting to see what is happening and how.

And even then, I don't think there has been a new remaster of the movie.

Stefan Andersson

#528 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:15 pm

Upcoming from Artus Films:
Le neuvieme coeur (Herz)
https://artusfilms.com/

La vallee des abeilles (Vlacil)
Les longs jours de la vengeance (Vancini/Gemma)
Source:
https://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/viewto ... 4#p3042011

eerik

#529 Post by eerik » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:16 pm

1929 Estonian silent "Jüri Rumm" is reportedly being released on Blu-ray next year. New restoration is currently shown at the Tallinn Black Nights Fim Festival.
“Jüri Rumm” is a satiric adventure film about a legendary Estonian thief from the second half of the 19th century, who became an archetypal folk hero, a sort of local Robin Hood – an outlaw who stole from the rich to give to the poor. In the early 20th century, his colourful character inspired an entire series of stage plays and stories. Based mainly on Hans Varessoo’s (pseudonym) 1908 novel and the first volume of Jaan Metua’s trilogy of plays, which appeared in 1921, the film’s screenplay was allegedly written by Mikhail Lepper, the first Estonian to study with Georg Wilhelm Pabst and work with Fritz Lang in the early 1920s, who later emigrated to Sweden to work as a photojournalist. The premise of the film draws on Jüri Rumm’s biography: as a nobleman’s servant, Jüri is punished for stealing food from the baron for his sick father. Vowing revenge, he leaves the manor on a stolen horse, slipping away from his pursuers again and again, wearing ever-new disguises. Jüri’s love affair with Madli, who also serves at the manor, adds spice to the adventurous storyline and ultimately proves fatal for the clever fugitive.

“Jüri Rumm” was digitised in 6K and restored in 4K in 2023 in the Film Archive of the National Archives of Estonia, using the original nitrate negative, three surviving reels of a nitrate print and a reel of a safety print.

The live music accompanying the film will be composed and performed by Stephen Horne (UK, piano) and Frank Bockius (Germany, drums). Horne and Bockius are internationally acclaimed silent film musicians who regularly perform at film heritage festivals around the world.
https://poff.ee/en/film/jri-rumm/

Stefan Andersson

#530 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:35 pm

Upcoming from Umbrella:
Dr. Crippen (1963)
https://shop.umbrellaent.com.au/product ... eq=uniform

Cipater

#532 Post by Cipater » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:08 am

mrb404 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:41 am
French label Spectrum has announced it will release a boxset of the complete works of Joâo Cesar Monteiro (restored in 2K and 4K) that should come out at the end of the year
This is major, and just in time as Monteiro fever is sweeping the intl. cinephile circuit! Had the pleasure of catching three of his features during a retrospective last year, all of them on pristine 35mm prints. O Último Mergulho was the standout for me: gradually evolves from a vulgar sex-and-booze comedy into something all-together different and entirely associative, with a sense of movement I've seldom had the pleasure of experiencing. Didn't understand jack-shit of the last 30 minutes or so -- not on any intellectual level, that is -- but it makes emotional sense. À Flor do Mar and Silvestre were very pretty to look at but kind of dead, at least to me, and I saw the first installment in his horn-dog saga (Recordações da Casa Amarela) at home. It made my curious to see the latter two, but the digital transfer was a paaale comparison of what I saw on film, so I'm glad that I held off watching the other two, now that HD restorations are on their way.
Last edited by Cipater on Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

kekid

#533 Post by kekid » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:46 pm

Cipater wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:08 am
mrb404 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:41 am
French label Spectrum has announced it will release a boxset of the complete works of Joâo Cesar Monteiro (restored in 2K and 4K) that should come out at the end of the year
This is major, and just in time as Monteiro is sweeping the intl. cinephile circuit! Had the pleasure of catching three of his features during a retrospective last year, all of them on pristine 35mm prints. O Último Mergulho was the standout for me: gradually evolves from a vulgar sex-and-booze comedy into something all-together different and entirely associative, with a sense of movement I've seldom had the pleasure of experiencing. Didn't understand jack-shit of the last 30 minutes or so -- not on any intellectual level, that is -- but it makes emotional sense. À Flor do Mar and Silvestre were very pretty to look at but kind of dead, at least to me, and I saw the first installment in his horn-dog saga (Recordações da Casa Amarela) at home. It made my curious to see the latter two, but the digital transfer was a paaale comparison of what I saw on film, so I'm glad that I held off watching the other two, now that HD restorations are on their way.
Subtitles?

Finch

#534 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:37 pm

Look two posts up.

kekid

#535 Post by kekid » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:09 am

Finch wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:37 pm
Look two posts up.
Great. Thank you.

Peacock

#536 Post by Peacock » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:17 am

The Monteiro set will include:

Veredas
Silvestre
À Flor do Mar
Recordações da Casa Amarela
O Último Mergulho
A Comédia de Deus
Le Bassin de J.W.
As Bodas de Deus
Branca de Neve
Vai e Vem

Plus a large book.

(So sadly not quite the complete works but definitely the complete feature films made between 1978-2003)