Jacques Rivette on DVD and BD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
kekid

Jacques Rivette on DVD and BD

#1 Post by kekid » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:45 pm

The New York Times preview of coming attractions shows a DVD version of Jacque Rivette's much anticipated "Celine and Julie go boating" released on November 15 2005. The article does not mention the label. If anyone has further information, please post.

Cinephrenic

#2 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:09 pm

This could be Criterion. We have been expecting a Rivette title and I just recently ask Criterion on Rivette (specifically this title), and still no answer over a week. But do they ever release a film on the 15th.

Andre Jurieu

#3 Post by Andre Jurieu » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:20 pm

cinephrenic wrote:This could be Criterion. We have been expecting a Rivette title and I just recently ask Criterion on Rivette (specifically this title), and still no answer over a week. But do they ever release a film on the 15th.
Except Criterion has already announced their November titles.

Cinephrenic

#4 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:27 pm

My mind is gone. Things just going so fast. So is New Yorker releasing this I wonder?

kieslowski

#5 Post by kieslowski » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:34 pm

cinephrenic wrote:My mind is gone. Things just going so fast. So is New Yorker releasing this I wonder?
Yes. Their website has Dec 6 as a release date.

Gordon

#6 Post by Gordon » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:24 pm

I just emailed New Yorker about this.
I will post their reply if I get one.

Gordon

#7 Post by Gordon » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:17 pm

I have not seen many of Jacque Rivette's films. I loved Histoire de Marie et Julien. Most of his films have been hard to see over years, especially, Out 1. From what I have read, Paris nous appartient sounds very interesting, mysterious. What about La Religieuse, starring Anna Karina and Liselotte Pulver? Kino owns the rights and put a widescreen VHS in 2000. Looks like we narrowly missed a DVD edition. Sounds like a harrowing story. It would interesting to see how Rivette would handle such material. It's one of his shorter films, that's for sure; 135 minutes!

cafeman

#8 Post by cafeman » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:23 pm

I only saw Va Savoir and it was cute, but nothing special. I imagine it`s not among his best films, though.

Gordon

#9 Post by Gordon » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:06 pm

I keep meaning to rent La Belle noiseuse (the UK edition). The epic length is a bit daunting, though, but it sounds like a very interesting film. And it stars Emmanuelle Béart who is has a unique beauty and is a very versatile actress.

Did you see the 220-minute cut of Va Savoir or the 154-minute version? It is the latter that is available on DVD in the UK.

solent

#10 Post by solent » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:47 pm

Does this mean we can expect Alain Tanner's films to come out soon? Also THE MOTHER & THE WHORE?

tavernier

#11 Post by tavernier » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:56 pm

solent wrote:Does this mean we can expect Alain Tanner's films to come out soon? Also THE MOTHER & THE WHORE?
Dreamer....

Cinephrenic

#12 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:20 pm

I would love to see La Religieuse get a release.

Gordon

#13 Post by Gordon » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:23 pm

I'd love to finally see In the White City, which is often said to contain Bruno Ganz's best performance. Then there's Light Years Away; Charles, Dead or Alive; The Salamander and Messidor. All long overdue on DVD.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Click here to see comprehensive lists of unreleased Universal, Paramount, MGM/UA, Warner, Fox, Sony-Columbia and also French and German films not on DVD

cafeman

#14 Post by cafeman » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:37 am

Gordon McMurphy wrote:Did you see the 220-minute cut of Va Savoir or the 154-minute version? It is the latter that is available on DVD in the UK.
Well, I saw it at a film festival in Belgrade, in competition, so I would guess it`s the longer version. It was a festival print, the kind which makes festival rounds.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#15 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:49 am

The long version of "Va savoir" came out in the theaters in France a couple of years after the film (short version) was first released. So far as I know, the long version has not been shown elsewhere (though isolated showings may be possible).
solent wrote:Does this mean we can expect Alain Tanner's films to come out soon? Also THE MOTHER & THE WHORE?
The French/Swiss(?) DVD release of "Jonah" and "Milieu de monde" has good English subtitles. surprisingly, the latter film (which I had never really heard of before buying the DVD) turned out to be my favorite Tanner film (of those seen so far). There is also a DVD of "Les années lumière" (Light Years Away). No subs needed, as this is an English language film (visually interesting -- but weird story).

peerpee
not perpee

#16 Post by peerpee » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:23 pm

It's a shame Criterion couldn't wrestle this away from them.

Some things to consider re: New Yorker's CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING:

1.) It will probably be a duff PAL > NTSC conversion.

2.) The subs probably won't be that good. For a film with lots of wordplay, it needs a very, very subtle and sensitive English translation.

3.) Tom Milne is doing the subs translation from scratch for the UK version.

4.) The UK version will be PAL > PAL, and worth waiting for.

FilmFanSea

#17 Post by FilmFanSea » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:15 pm

peerpee wrote:Some things to consider re: New Yorker's CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING:
Thanks for the heads-up, Nick, on the UK release. Is this coming from Eureka, or another company? [it looks like a company named Connoisseur released the film on VHS in the UK]

I will gladly wait for any competent alternative to a New Yorker DVD release. The old phrase goes "once burned, twice shy," but I've been burned enough times by New Yorker that just reading the company's name sends a cold shiver down my spine.

godardslave

#18 Post by godardslave » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:31 pm

I will gladly wait for any competent alternative to a New Yorker DVD release.
if you put a bunch of monkeys in a dvd distribution company room they will eventually form New Yorker.

peerpee
not perpee

#19 Post by peerpee » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:41 pm

The bfi will release CELINE ET JULIE in the UK.

Gordon

#20 Post by Gordon » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:30 pm

peerpee wrote:The bfi will release CELINE ET JULIE in the UK.
I had heard about this. Do you know when it's being
released, Nick?

Subbuteo

#21 Post by Subbuteo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:23 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote:I keep meaning to rent La Belle noiseuse (the UK edition). The epic length is a bit daunting, though, but it sounds like a very interesting film. And it stars Emmanuelle Béart who is has a unique beauty and is a very versatile actress.
Gordon, just go out and get it, the AE's a quality disc(s) and the film is pure joy

Cinephrenic

#22 Post by Cinephrenic » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:35 pm

if you put a bunch of monkeys in a dvd distribution company room they will eventually form New Yorker.
Even monkeys are much more intellegent than that.

Gordon

#23 Post by Gordon » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:00 pm

godardslave wrote:if you put a bunch of monkeys in a dvd distribution company room they will eventually form New Yorker.
So how was Facets formed?

cafeman

#24 Post by cafeman » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote:
godardslave wrote:if you put a bunch of monkeys in a dvd distribution company room they will eventually form New Yorker.
So how was Facets formed?
They fired some monkeys.

feihong

#25 Post by feihong » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:06 pm

Anyone know when the bfi disc will come out? My shitty French unsubtitled set will only hold me so long.