Jacques Rivette on DVD and BD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Kinsayder

#126 Post by Kinsayder » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:26 pm

martin wrote:Furthermore it seems confirmed that the Claire Denis documantary on Rivette is not on the Arthaus box even though jpc.de still has it listed as an extra feature.
It is, however, on the new Arte 3-disc edition of La Belle Noiseuse.

wpqx

#127 Post by wpqx » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:13 am

I've seen L'Amour Fou and Out 1 (the full version) but unfortunately have been unable to come across La Pont du Nord or Duelle. Anyone know of any available versions of either film in the dark mysterious world of bootlegs?

Tommaso

#128 Post by Tommaso » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:28 am

wpqx wrote:I've seen L'Amour Fou and Out 1 (the full version) but unfortunately have been unable to come across La Pont du Nord or Duelle. Anyone know of any available versions of either film in the dark mysterious world of bootlegs?
At least for "Duelle" you can go the brightly shining world of official releases, it's out in France (together with "Noroit") and Germany (in a 4-disc-set of Rivette films). Both without English subs.

wpqx

#129 Post by wpqx » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:33 am

Unfortunately my French isn't quite good enough, but it gives me hope that at least it's out somewhere.

Enzo di Martino

#130 Post by Enzo di Martino » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:33 pm

Could someone tell me how's the package of the Arte 8-disc set?

Tommaso

#131 Post by Tommaso » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Enzo di Martino wrote:Could someone tell me how's the package of the Arte 8-disc set?
Plainly fabulous, if you don't need subs, go for it. At least the transfer of "Bande des quatre" is clearly superior to its German equivalent (haven't compared "Noiseuse" yet), and the same seems to go for all of the AE and Bluebell discs, arte seems to be better.

sidehacker

#132 Post by sidehacker » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:37 pm

Can someone link me up about this Arte boxset?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#133 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:43 pm

sidehacker wrote:Can someone link me up about this Arte boxset?
Here's the detailed description at Arte's store.

Alapage has this for 65 euros or so....

Enzo di Martino

#134 Post by Enzo di Martino » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:14 am

By the way, the Arte boxset, is it a digipack or a cardboard case that contains the films individually?

Tommaso

#135 Post by Tommaso » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:33 am

Two fold-out digis in a cardboard case.

Enzo di Martino

#136 Post by Enzo di Martino » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:56 am

Thanks. I'm so gonna buy that (from alapage). For those who have purchased the Noroît+Duelle dvd from Fnac(dot)com, how long did it take? I ordered more than 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it to be delivered.

Fnac cancelled my Duelle/Noroît order, so I checked alapage and they've got it listed, I ordered it from them but they don't seem like they're delivering it. Maybe I should try again from Fnac?

Anyway, does anyone know if the french dvd of Histoire de Marie et Julien that amazon france sells it's the Arte 2-disc edition? They only list a part of its extras and have it as 1-discer.

nosy lena

#137 Post by nosy lena » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:31 pm

my friend is having the same problem with duelle/noroit. hopefully it hasn't gone out of print.

Enzo di Martino

#138 Post by Enzo di Martino » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:51 am

Finally alapage also cancelled my Duelle/Noroît order, though according to dvdfr.com, it's not out of print (they list Editions Montparnasse's Céline & Julie as out of print, even though amazon.fr has it in stock -?-)

nosy lena

#139 Post by nosy lena » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:33 pm

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this already.
Hi Eric,

We will be releasing some of Jacques Rivette's films on DVD before too long. As for Eustache, I can't say for now but if you check back in a couple of months there may be more information. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Tamara
[Criterion Collection]
It could just mean Paris Nous Appartient, but the "some" and "films" leaves for longing. L'Amour Fou?

That raises another question, how should do they do L'Amour Fou? Should the parts that are in 4:3 be placed inside of the parts that are inside of the parts that are in 16:9?

zedz

#140 Post by zedz » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:39 pm

I'd like to think that no no for Eustache = yes, eventually. And woo-hoo for plural Rivettes!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#141 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:47 pm

Since Kino released several different VHSes of the Nun but no DVD, my guess is that they didn't have the rights to do so, leading me to believe the DVD rights lie with Criterion, leading me to believe that's the other title. Or so I'm led to believe.

ptmd

#142 Post by ptmd » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:05 am

That seems like the most likely option, although it's also possible that "some of Rivette's films" simply refers to Paris nous appartient and the related early short "Le coup de berger" (1956). I would be genuinely shocked to see Criterion releasing L'amour fou, especially given the reported disinterest in later (i.e., post-Nun) Rivette by the staff there.

justeleblanc

#143 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:20 am

domino harvey wrote:Since Kino released several different VHSes of the Nun but no DVD, my guess is that they didn't have the rights to do so, leading me to believe the DVD rights lie with Criterion, leading me to believe that's the other title. Or so I'm led to believe.
The Nun is owned by Lionsgate. I confirmed this with them last year. It was part of their Studio Canal deal.

Enzo di Martino

#144 Post by Enzo di Martino » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:13 pm

I finally got my Duelle/Noroit copy, and I wanted to ask: is there a synch problem at the beginning of Duelle? In the fourth shot of the film (the last one from the first scene at the hotel, when Berto and Karagheuz stand up), there's a stretch of talk that doesn't seem in synch, after Berto says "Stern?... Stern!", it ends when Karagheuz says her coworker knows Garcia in the dance hall. I don't think it's a problem of the dvd, though, I think it's the film itself like that (maybe there was a problem with the direct sound or something), but I would like if someone can check it and confirm it.
Edit: Also, while I think the synch problems are inherent of the film itself (there are some little issues about it throughout the film), there's a flaw on the soundtrack of the Duelle dvd (or at least in mine): the sound disappears from 18:25 to 18:27. Can someone please check that?

Dazza

#145 Post by Dazza » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:15 pm

I've just checked my copy of Duelle... I hadn't previously noticed the bit you mention at the start (after "Stern... Stern") but I think I can see what you mean. I had to look quite hard for it though.

As for the sound dropout from 18:25 - 18:27, that is definitely the same on my copy too. It has been a good 18 months or so since I last watched these two films, but I remember there being a few small glitches on both discs. They didn't bother me too much, as I was just very pleased to have both these films on DVD.

Hope this helps,

Dazza.

Enzo di Martino

#146 Post by Enzo di Martino » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:00 am

Thank you very much. As I said, I'm pretty sure the synch issues are due to the film's use of direct sound, maybe some bits of dialogue were unusable. The sound flaw at minute 18 doesn't bother me neither, but since I bought it from a marketplace seller on amazon, I was a little hysterical about it being from I-don't-know-where. But the release itself is great, I mean, these films were so difficult to watch, and the dvds are of great quality, so these problems are definitely something not to worry about.

Dazza

#147 Post by Dazza » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:07 pm

You're welcome. It's good to check that other copies are the same as yours when there's something that may be a flaw on there.

Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy both movies... they are both good, but I think I slightly prefer Duelle out of the two. It's definitely a set well worth having in the collection, and not too expensive either.

Fierias

Re: Jacque Rivette on DVD

#148 Post by Fierias » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:02 am

Is there any reason for me to be optimistic that the edition of Le Religieuse included in this upcoming set from Studio Canal will have English subs?

Dazza

#149 Post by Dazza » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:41 am

According to DVDFr, there are no subs of any kind on this release. Nice looking set, though - might have been tempted if I didn't already own standalone releases of all of these. That said, it's a bit Godard-heavy - his work accounts for 50% of the films in this box? Seems a little out of balance.

Dazza

#150 Post by Dazza » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:20 am

On Monday Artificial Eye issued separate R2 releases of both Joan the Maid films - as The Battles is listed as being 154 mins and The Prisons 168 mins, this indicates that these are the full versions (when PAL speedup is taken into account.)

On the same day they were also due to release "The Jacques Rivette Collection" - this appears to have been cancelled, and I couldn't find any artwork (or much info) for it - it was set to contain Marie & Julien, Va Savoir & Secret Defense. Secret Defense is still scheduled for a standalone release on 24 October, and the 3-disc La Belle Noiseuse (which will include Divertimento )is scheduled for 21 September.