Swedish DVDs

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
L.A.

Re: Swedish DVDs

#51 Post by L.A. » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:37 am

Ingenjör Andrées luftfärd / The Flight of the Eagle (Jan Troell, 1982)

Blu-ray upcoming in Sweden later this month and English subs are promised. Never heard of this film before but I'm intriqued.

Berzeli

#52 Post by Berzeli » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:38 am

The new edition of Fanny & Alexander for the centenary:

So the positives are that it's the full version (previous release was just theatrical), and has extras. But it will seemingly be in 1.78:1 for no good reason and doesn't match the Criterion in terms of extras.

Calvin

#53 Post by Calvin » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:10 pm

I see that there was a double bill of Hasse Ekman's Girl with Hyacinths and Fram för lilla Märta released on Blu-Ray last year

Sadly - and unsurprisingly - there are no English subtitles. Girl with Hyacinths is a film that's crying out for a label like Criterion or the BFI to pick it up.

RobertB

#54 Post by RobertB » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:27 pm

I have the Ekman Blu Ray. Haven't watched it yet but did a quick spin now. Restorations are by Swedish Film Institute and look fine. Some grain has probably been removed for the disc. But it's far from the worst I have experienced. I would give the picture quality OK, but not great. Only Swedish subtitles. Fram för lilla Märta has an empty track for English subtitles, and possibly even stranger Girl with Hyacinths has audio tracks for Swahili and Swedish! Extra is a one hour long documentary/interview that looks like it's probably done for Swedish TV a couple of decades ago. No booklet, but you get a double sided poster.

L.A.

#55 Post by L.A. » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:29 am

Horror classic Besökarna / Visitors (1988) just came out on Blu. Restored by the Swedish Film Institute and has English subtitles. Uncut and 16:9 for the first time in ages I think.

L.A.

#56 Post by L.A. » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:51 pm

Swedish Film Institute has restored the following and are available on Blu-ray:

Terror in the Midnight Sun (1959)
The Language of Love (1969)
More from the Language of Love (1970)
The Naughty Vicar (1970)

It seems the first one has English-language soundtrack while the rest have EN subtitles.