Gaumont Blus for 2010

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Highway 61

Re: Gaumont Blus for 2010

#1 Post by Highway 61 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:54 pm

david hare wrote:Please note the titles listed for March 25. I'm still lying on the floor in a faint. These won't be subtitled of course, but....
I knew I spent years busting my ass in French class for a reason. What an amazing slate!

Knappen

#2 Post by Knappen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:04 pm

I'm still lying on the floor in a faint.
Waiter! Quick! Hot towels! He's turning blu...

Highway 61

#3 Post by Highway 61 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:16 pm

Yes, yes it is. Frighteningly accurate, in fact. And because these Blus will be 24fps instead of PAL, I have even less willpower to hold out for the subtitled Criterion. Believe me, my wallet's hurting.

McCrutchy

#4 Post by McCrutchy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:01 am

david hare wrote:Yes, we can feel wildly superior to our fellow classmates who never listened to the teacher, and we can spend astonomical amounts of money we dont have in fucking Euros, with worlds' most expensive postage, after which - usually three weeks to two months - the title is then announced in an English subbed version in by Criterion or whoever. And we hesitate, and stutter, and buy them again. Because- we tell ourselves - we really want the enjoyment of watching them with all our friends (hundreds of them of course, all queuing up at the door to see these pictures) who can't understand French. But we never do. And we go on wtaching them alone or with the dog, cat and/or husband.

Is this the story of your life too?
Unless Artificial Eye or Criterion announce and date a UK/US BD of A Man Escaped, I will be getting this, subtitles be dammed. You never know, Gaumont may feel generous and include English subs...they've done it before.

Jonathan S

#5 Post by Jonathan S » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:42 am

david hare wrote:And we go on wtaching them alone or with the dog, cat and/or husband.
Is this the story of your life too?
Just with the cat. Husband of 20 years will no longer watch non-English films even with subs. Dog sleeps through everything. Cat most attentive with silents, if he likes the score. Am considering exchanging husband for second cat.

Ben Cheshire

#6 Post by Ben Cheshire » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:14 am

david hare wrote:THis is how crazy it gets. I was in Paris when the Studio Canal "Classique" l'Armee des ombres was on the shelves for only (ONLY) 14 Euros. So I bought it. Then a year later it was released locally on Canal/Uni with subs so I bought that - only 29 AUD or something or other. Now this. Then the subbed blu. And I'm someone who does a lot of downloads!!

Take me out and shoot me.
Bit confused by this, David. Is this a reference to your purchasing Silence de la Mer on BD from Gaumont, and then in its more-guaranteed-to-be subbed eventual Criterion BD release?

Just making sure I'm not missing out on an Armee des Ombres BD I didn't know about...