Savage Guns: Four Classic Westerns Vol 3

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

yoloswegmaster

Savage Guns: Four Classic Westerns Vol 3

#1 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:26 am

Maniacal outlaws thirsting for blood! Corrupt capitalists profiting from the suffering of the common folk! Desperate people pushed to violent revenge! The Italian western has never been grittier than in this quartet of later-period cult classics, in which the trademark cynicism of the genre escalates into the radical pessimism of the late 1960s / early 1970s world.

4-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of all four films
• 2K restorations of all four films from the original 35mm camera negatives, with El Puro newly restored by Arrow Films for this release
• Italian and English front and end titles on all four films
• Restored original lossless mono Italian and English soundtracks on all four films
• English subtitles for the Italian soundtracks
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtracks
• Brand new introductions to each film by journalist and critic Fabio Melelli
• Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by author and critic Howard Hughes
• Fold-out double-sided poster featuring newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
• Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeves featuring original artwork and a slipcover featuring newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx

DISC 1 – I WANT HIM DEAD

• Brand new audio commentary by critics Adrian J. Smith and David Flint
• The Man Who Hated Violence – brand new interview with director Paolo Bianchini
• Cut and Shot – brand new interview with editor Eugenio Alabiso
• Nico Unchained – archival interview with composer Nico Fidenco
• English theatrical trailer
• Image gallery

DISC 2 – EL PURO

• Two versions of the film: the 98-minute cut, presented in Italian and English, and the longer, 108-minute version, assembled from the original camera negative and an archival print and presented in both Italian and a newly created hybrid English/Italian mix*
• Brand new audio commentary by critics Troy Howarth and Nathaniel Thompson
• Brand new interview with actor Robert Woods
• Brand new, in-depth appreciation of the soundtrack and its composer, Alessandro Alessandroni, by musician and disc collector Lovely Jon

DISC 3 – WRATH OF THE WIND

• Alternate, 106-minute Spanish-language version of the film, featuring additional and extended scenes not found in the Italian or English versions
• Brand new audio commentary by author and critic Howard Hughes
• The Days of Wrath – brand new interview with camera operator Roberto D’Ettorre Piazzoli
• They Call It... Red Cemetery! – a short film from 2022 by filmmaker Francisco Lacerda, serving as a love letter to the spaghetti western genre
• Alternate “Revenge of Trinity” opening titles, newly restored for this release
• Image gallery

DISC 4 – FOUR OF THE APOCALYPSE

• Brand new audio commentary by author and producer Kat Ellinger
• It Takes Four – previously unreleased interview with production manager Roberto Sbarigia
• Brand new, in-depth appreciation of the film by author, critic and Lucio Fulci scholar Stephen Thrower
• Brand new, in-depth appreciation of the soundtrack and its composers, Franco Bixio, Fabio Frizzi and Vince Tempera, by musician and disc collector Lovely Jon
• Newly restored theatrical trailer
• Image gallery

* For some scenes and dialogue lines in the long version, the Italian audio is either lost or was never produced. These are presented in Spanish with English subtitles.

M Sanderson

Re: Savage Guns: Four Classic Westerns Vol 3

#2 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:55 pm

I don't know any of the other films, but as with the first set, I'm buying for the Fulci. Loved Massacre Time, despite middling reviews. Always enjoyed 4 of the Apocalypse, with its intoxicating cinematography, sadistic violence threatening an uncharacteristically strong sense of community. Recall it having a truly evil performance from Tomas Milian, drawing on Manson. Can't wait to reacquaint, on restored Blu ray. Well done to Arrow, who usually choose the cult items that I covet more than other labels.

Aspect

Re: Savage Guns: Four Classic Westerns Vol 3

#3 Post by Aspect » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:59 pm

Argggg. I only want Four of the Apocalypse. I guess I'll just wait a few years for a standalone release.