The Last Emperor

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

yoloswegmaster

The Last Emperor

#1 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:51 am

Director of The Spider’s Stratagem, The Conformist, and Last Tango in Paris, Bernardo Bertolucci was one of the greats of Italian cinema. In 1987 his acclaimed epic The Last Emperor – made with British producer Jeremy Thomas (Naked Lunch, Crash) – swept the 60th Academy Awards winning nine Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director.

Following the life of Pu Yi, the last of the Emperors of China, from his birth in 1908 through his childhood in the fortress-like Forbidden City and his later misguided collaboration with the Japanese in World War II, The Last Emperor tells the history of China through the eyes of the man brought up to believe he was the country’s divine ruler.

Filmed on location in China, Bertolucci and Thomas were the first western filmmakers to be allowed access to previously forbidden locations. Together with a cast including John Lone, Joan Chen and Peter O’Toole, and director of photography Vittorio Storaro’s lushly evocative cinematography, they created a classic film of sweeping scope and delicate intimacy that stunned critics and audiences alike. The Last Emperor arrives on UHD in a brand new 4K restoration that will take your breath away.

PRODUCT FEATURES:

New 4K restoration of the original theatrical version
Original and extended versions of the film presented in their original aspect ratio of 2.39:1
Original uncompressed stereo 2.0 audio, plus 5.1 audio option for theatrical version
Reversible sleeve featuring two artwork options
Eight double-sided postcard sized lobby card reproduction artcards
Fold-out double-sided poster featuring two artwork options
Illustrated collectors book featuring new writing by film critics Kat Ellinger and Philip Kemp, plus select archival material

DISC 1 - THEATRICAL VERSION (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)

4K (2160p) Ultra HD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
Original uncompressed stereo 2.0 and 5.1 audio options
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
First to Last: The Road to the Forbidden City, a new visual essay by film critic David Cairns exploring Bernardo Bertolucci’s career prior to The Last Emperor
Open the Door, a new visual essay by film critics David Cairns & Fiona Watson in which they follow Bertolucci into the Forbidden City to explore in-depth The Last Emperor and the truth on which it is based
Archive interview with director Bernardo Bertolucci
Archive interview with star John Lone
Archive interview with star Joan Chen
Postcard from China, video footage shot by Bernardo Bertolucci while location scouting in China
Theatrical trailer
Image gallery

DISC 2 - EXTENDED VERSION (BLU-RAY)

High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
Original uncompressed stereo 2.0 audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

jsteffe

Re: The Last Emperor

#2 Post by jsteffe » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:32 am

I'm really curious to see this restoration on UHD. Didn't Turbine Medien restore Cronenberg's CRASH as well?

The cinematography of THE LAST EMPEROR had a huge impact on me when I saw a 70mm print in Los Angeles in its original release--still one of my more memorable filmgoing experiences...

Amazing Goose

#3 Post by Amazing Goose » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:05 pm

Since Criterion's blu-ray was one of their first (and some reports said it was underwhelming visually, including Chris's review on this site 14 years ago), I'm hoping that they'll release of a 4K of this sometime in 2023.

Finch

#4 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:43 pm

Pretty sure the Arrow 4k is region free though.

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:32 am

I was under the impression all UHDs are region free

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#6 Post by swo17 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:12 am

They're supposed to be per the UHD spec but there are a handful of exceptions