The Conformist

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

shumpy

#51 Post by shumpy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:12 pm

I e-mailed TCM--here's their boilerplate reply.

Dear Viewer, Thanks for your comments. Although TCM does not edit any of its movie (either for content or time-related matters), we sometimes receive alternate cuts/versions of movies from the distributors. I'll have Programming track down the air copy and match it up against the original to see what's going on. Most of the time it's just that the companies have sent the wrong version, and it's just a matter of getting the uncut version shipped to us ASAP. We plan to air the movie in it's full version as soon as we get it. Thank you for your comments and thanks for contacting us! Best, TCM Viewer Relations

Dylan

#52 Post by Dylan » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:05 am

As mentioned earlier, "The Conformist" is one of my five favorite films of all-time. I've been in the Rocky Mountains for eight days, and missed the TCM airing (I had a friend tivo it for me, so I'll see it soon enough). For one thing, I'm negatively stunned that TCM aired the dubbed version. From what I've heard, the dubbing is pretty bad, and a lot of the light humorous moments are messed up pretty badly. Still, I look forward to finally watching a good-looking print, dubbed or not.

Got to go for now, but I'll close by saying that when Paramount releases this, they better include the Italian dub.

Dylan

Michael B. Scrutchin

#53 Post by Michael B. Scrutchin » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:14 pm

Dylan wrote:For one thing, I'm negatively stunned that TCM aired the dubbed version.
I'm curious: Isn't the Italian version dubbed, too? Many Italian films of the time were shot silent and later dubbed into different languages for different markets (like the films of Fellini, Leone, Argento, etc.). Isn't this the case with The Conformist?

Dylan

#54 Post by Dylan » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:26 pm

Yes, and it's possible that Trintignant was speaking French during filming, just as Alain Delon was probably speaking French while filming "The Leopard" and Anthony Quinn often not even reading from the screenplay while filming "La Strada," and like those films, Italian is the film's native language, and I believe it communicates with the viewer better in that way. Typically, I believe an older foreign film that used an International cast (where some were eventually post-synched) should be viewed in the language the story was meant to be presented in. I haven't seen "The Conformist" dubbed into English yet, and though I've heard bad things, I do look forward to comparing it with the Italian track on the bootleg.

Dylan
Last edited by Dylan on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

mute nostril agony

#55 Post by mute nostril agony » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:20 pm

Interesting, I never would have guessed the Italian version was dubbed.

Martha

#56 Post by Martha » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:18 pm

essrog wrote:So after trying and failing to stay up through the whole film when it was on TCM, I rented the VHS. Instead of the 120-minute version shown on TCM or the standard 115-minute version, this one was 108 minutes and rated PG, not R. Anyone know what the missing seven minutes include? (obviously, the dance of the blind sequence wasn't in this version.)

After the film I felt confused about some of the plot details and characters' motivations, but I have no idea if the missing seven minutes would help clear any of it up.

Martha

#57 Post by Martha » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:19 pm

Dubbing discussion has been moved here.

mute nostril agony

#58 Post by mute nostril agony » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:51 pm

To anyone in the LA area who is interested, there will be three upcoming screenings of The Conformist. I assume it will be the stunning archive print in Italian that's been around lately and I had the chance to see a few weeks ago.

rossbrew

#59 Post by rossbrew » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:17 am

Just saw this new print tonight at the Cinematheque in Vancouver- stunning! Just to see this masterpiece in pristine condition on the big screen...a true marvel!

Ted Todorov

#60 Post by Ted Todorov » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:03 pm

Posted on a the DVDBeaver listserv:
I saw the new print at Film Forum in NYC last weekend and it looked gorgeous. Having never seen the film before, I have nothing to compare it to. There was a Janus logo at the beginning, and that plus a Film Forum viewing, plus a new restored print seem to generally add up to a Criterion release. I'm hoping, as I really loved this film.

I won't believe it until I see it for myself, but that probably won't be until next week.

Anyone see it at the Film Forum yet?

kieslowski_67

#61 Post by kieslowski_67 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:46 pm

That Janus logo was meant to the trailer of "elevator to the gallows", not for the "conformist".

It seems that more and more likely we are gonna see a R2 release of "conformist" on DVD first (Medusa, MK2, Studio Canal, BFI, anyone???).

Ted Todorov

#62 Post by Ted Todorov » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:53 pm

kieslowski_67 wrote:That Janus logo was meant to the trailer of "elevator to the gallows", not for the "conformist".

It seems that more and more likely we are gonna see a R2 release of "conformist" on DVD first (Medusa, MK2, Studio Canal, BFI, anyone???).

In fact there was no Paramount logo either -- just an Italian one from the institution having done the restoration. (The print was beautiful, BTW). Paramount clearly still does have the rights (they are listed on the FF program) but can't even be bothered to strike a new 35mm print.

Don't hold your breath for R1 DVD, that's for sure. I just hope that Paramount doesn't have the rights in R2 as well...

kieslowski_67

#63 Post by kieslowski_67 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:24 pm

Ted Todorov wrote:Don't hold your breath for R1 DVD, that's for sure. I just hope that Paramount doesn't have the rights in R2 as well...
Ted, I am not holding my breath on a R1 DVD. I have learned my lessons the hard way that R2 and R6 are the better sources, or at least better than complementary way to collect art movies on DVD.

leo goldsmith

#64 Post by leo goldsmith » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:09 pm

Ted Todorov wrote:Don't hold your breath for R1 DVD, that's for sure. I just hope that Paramount doesn't have the rights in R2 as well...

Why not hold your breath? Now seems as good a time as any. The film is doing a good trade at Film Forum (it's been held over already, and may be again), and I don't think they would have bothered with the new print if there wasn't some support of the film in general. It's not like their maliciously withholding the film from you.

Dylan

#65 Post by Dylan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:13 am

An hour-long radio interview with Vittorio Storaro from April of this year is available for listen here.

He has a deeply beautiful way of explaining his ideas of color and light, and wonderful insights on his art and technique. Great interview.

swimminghorses

#66 Post by swimminghorses » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:06 pm

just saw this in Portland, Oregon. With that many showings going on how can a region 1 DVD release not be upcoming. Isn't that the reason restored older movies are released theatrically now - as advertisements for upcoming DVD releases??

HerrSchreck

#67 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:21 am

swimminghorses wrote:just saw this in Portland, Oregon. With that many showings going on how can a region 1 DVD release not be upcoming. Isn't that the reason restored older movies are released theatrically now - as advertisements for upcoming DVD releases??
Wow dude... i saw the Italian print of this film over the summer at NYC Film Forum as discussed above-- believe me anyone in the know was holding their breath hoping to see a Rialto, Janus-- or in this case, any-- logo. Alas, in this case, the film (the gorgeous Italian print, not the crap whatever was ciculating TCM) just curiously had none beside the restoration credit on the actual print, in the opening shot.

Boy o boy-- if it only worked that way ( ie arthouse circulation = forthcoming DVD)... we'd have all the missing Murnau's, we'd have THE CROWD, a grain-free SCARLET EMPRESS, AMBERSONS, Rialto's gorgeous THE STRANGER, oh so many more.

scotty

#68 Post by scotty » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:30 am

Caught this last night; my first viewing of a jaw-dropping film, and I really wish I could see one shot again: the shot opens with a closeup against the left-hand frame of what I believe is revealed to be a painter. His eyes are remarkably blue. Then we get a pan with our "hero" striding along the harbor, then the pan ends with a Magritte-looking painting of sky and clouds, which then dissolves into the actual sea and sky. Can anyone confirm to me that what I think I saw is actually what I saw? I was so dumbfounded by the beauty and surrealism of it that I'm not really sure the shot worked as I've described it.

Love how the conformist just can't keep himself from making fascist hand gestures--almost verging on Strangelove territory.

atcolomb

#69 Post by atcolomb » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:51 pm

I do not know if anybody noticed but when TCM played The Conformist last friday night on tv they aired the subtitled version and not the dubbed version from last year. In comparing the two broadcasts the image that was subtitled was moved up alittle so the subtitles could be shown under the picture. Both picture looked the same in colors and sharpness but the dubbed version had a little more image on the left side. Thanks to TCM for showing the subtitled version. Read more of this on the "Movies on TV " post.

pzman84

#70 Post by pzman84 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:55 pm

I just got this in my newsletter from the Balboa Theater:
Last night's opening of THE CONFORMIST was more promising in attendance despite the Chronicle once again not reviewing it (though their new 96 Hours section did recommend it). Bertolucci's masterpiece is not available on DVD (and there are no plans to bring it out) while the long-ago released video was cut and had terrible color. This is considered one of the great movies and many people have been anxious to see it again on the big screen.
I don't think they are lying. So, anyone have any decent bootleg coppies?

Gordon

#71 Post by Gordon » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:19 pm

Balboa Theate wrote:Not scheduled for DVD.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Paramount may well be planning a DVD release, but have yet to announce it officially. If they went to the trouble of re-timing the neg and creating new prints under Storaro's supervision, then I would assume that they would be eager to release a DVD soon. The publicity department of the Balboa Theate are not an authority on this matter. All this waiting is making people pessimistic, but time and again much-anticipated masterpieces have finally be released on DVD after years of such waiting.

ben d banana

#72 Post by ben d banana » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:36 am

Still, not scheduled and not coming are two different things. Gordon's logic is seemingly correct, should we overlook what recently happened with Burn!

Gordon

#73 Post by Gordon » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:16 pm

Oh, don't remind me of that MGM fuckfest. Worst release of 2005.

Gordon

#74 Post by Gordon » Sat May 13, 2006 2:31 pm

A friend of mine told me that on the costume design featurette for Paramount's Aeon Flux (greatly inspired by Bertolucci's film) the end credits include: "Look for The Conformist on DVD soon."

I think it's time we rejoiced and looked forward to a DVD of The Conformist by Christmas! :D

mikeohhh

#75 Post by mikeohhh » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:58 pm

Whoa, hot shit! I'm seeing it tonight at the AFI Silver. I've never seen it before. This'll probably find itself onto my Christmas list.