Jesus Shows You the Way to the Highway

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Jesus Shows You the Way to the Highway

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:27 am

What do you get when you cross Afro-futurism, Cold War paranoia, the dystopian world of Philip K. Dick and 60s exploitation cinema, along with a hefty dose of Lynchian surrealism? The answer: Jesus Shows You the Way to the Highway, the second feature by Miguel Llansó (Crumbs) and one of the most striking and original films you’ll see all year.

The year is 2035, and Special Agent Gagano (Daniel Tadesse, Crumbs) dreams of leaving the CIA to open a business with his wife Malin (Gerda-Annette Allikas). Before he can hand in his resignation, however, a strange cyber virus attacks Psychobook, the CIA’s operating system, forcing Gagano to enter cyberspace via virtual reality to combat the threat. Before long, however, the virus starts to reach out into the real world, destabilising the fragile socio-political order for its own ends, and Gagano, trapped in the VR world, must find a way out before it’s too late.

Featuring encounters with an Irish-accented Joseph Stalin, a kung-fu-fighting Batman, and Jesus Christ himself, to name but a few, Jesus Shows You the Way to the Highway is absurd, audacious and like nothing you’ve ever experienced before.

2-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation
  • New audio commentary by critics Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Anton Bitel
  • From Talinn with Love, a new visual essay by critic Will Webb exploring the influence of exploitation cinema on Jesus Shows You the Way to the Highway
  • Exclusive audio interview with director Miguel Llansó, conducted by critic Josh Hurtado
  • Crumbs (2015), Miguel Llansó’s feature directorial debut and spiritual predecessor to Jesus Shows You the Way to the Highway (Limited Edition Exclusive)
  • Chigger Ale (2013) and Night in the Wild Garden (2015), two short films by Miguel Llansó
  • Original proof-of-concept trailer
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Image gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Austin Hinderliter
  • Double-sided fold-out poster
  • Limited Edition illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on Jesus Shows You the Way to the Highway by Barry Forshaw and Crumbs by Anton Bitel
  • Limited Edition of 2000 copies

Cronenfly

Re: Jesus Shows You the Way to the Highway

#2 Post by Cronenfly » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:25 am

Wow, no one? This looks like a mess, but I’d love to be proven wrong. If not this movie, has anyone seen the director’s Crumbs (also included)?

zedz

Re: Jesus Shows You the Way to the Highway

#3 Post by zedz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:45 am

I've seen Jesus Shows you the Way to the Highway, and found it pretty amateurish and tedious. Kind of a no-budget 80s indie throwback, where the filmmaker just throws everything they can think of on the screen to get attention, then tries to fit a narrative around it like they're trying to pull their upper lip over the top of their head. I liked the pixellation effects in the parallel universe, but this might have been pushing it as a fifteen minute short, and the quaintness runs out of charm fast as there's no sign of the narrative or pacing skills required to sustain the movie's grab bag of ideas over the length of a feature.