Alejandro Jodorowsky Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Alejandro Jodorowsky Collection

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:52 am

Alejandro Jodorowsky is one of world cinema’s most fabled iconoclasts. Often venerated as the ultimate cult film director, the Chilean artist shot to prominence as a 1970s counter-cultural icon thanks to the masterful movies presented on this collection: Fando y Lis, El Topo and The Holy Mountain. These extraordinary films, presented here alongside his stunning new film Psychomagic, bedazzled audiences with their unique aesthetic, contrasting violence and beauty; the sublime and the sacrilegious; the mystical and the macabre...

Jodorowsky’s first feature, Fando y Lis, tells of young Fando and his paraplegic sweetheart Lis’s journey through a series of surreal scenarios to find the enchanted city of Tar. An ‘acid-western’ packed with vivid imagery, El Topo stars Jodorowsky as a master-gunfighter who duels with four sharp-shooting adversaries on his journey across a desert dreamscape. In The Holy Mountain, Jodorowsky plays The Alchemist, a guru who guides a troupe of pilgrims on a quest to ascend the Holy Mountain in search of spiritual enlightenment. Jodorowsky’s new cinematic experience, Psychomagic, A Healing Art, explores the directors’ radical therapeutic work.

Influential, controversial and endlessly fascinating, Jodorowsky’s surreal masterpieces are presented here in stunning new 4K restorations, accompanied with a wealth of illuminating extras, and new writing.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • New 4K restorations of Fando y Lis, El Topo and The Holy Mountain approved by Alejandro Jodorowsky
  • Blu-ray premiere of Jodorowsky’s new film Psychomagic
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations
  • Original 1.0 mono audio and optional 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio
  • Newly translated English, Spanish and French subtitles
  • Six collector’s postcards
  • Double-sided fold-out poster
  • Limited edition 80-page hardbound book featuring new writing on the films by Virginie Sélavy, Michael Atkinson, Bilge Ebiri, Mark Pilkington and archival articles
  • Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly designed artwork by Matt Griffin
FANDO Y LIS
  • Audio commentary by Alejandro Jodorowsky
  • Jodorowsky Remembers Fando y Lis, new interview filmed in Paris
  • Newly filmed introduction with Richard Peña, Professor of Film Studies at Columbia University
  • La Cravate, Jodorowsky’s compellingly surreal 1957 adaptation of Thomas Mann’s The Transposed Heads
  • La Constellation Jodorowsky, Louis Mouchet’s feature-length documentary featuring interviews with Jean ‘Mobieus’ Giraud and Peter Gabriel
  • Trailer
  • Image galleries
EL TOPO
  • Film presentation in both 1.85:1 and 1.33:1 original theatrical aspect ratios for the first time
  • Jodorowsky Remembers El Topo, new interview
  • Newly filmed introduction with Richard Peña
  • A Conversation with The Son of El Topo, a newly filmed, extensive interview with Brontis Jodorowsky who stars in El Topo
  • The Father of Midnight Movies, an archival interview with Jodorowsky filmed in 2007
  • Original trailer
  • Image galleries
  • El Topo Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD
THE HOLY MOUNTAIN
  • Jodorowsky Remembers The Holy Mountain, new interview
  • Newly filmed introduction with Richard Peña
  • Pablo Leder: Jodorowsky’s Right Hand Man, Jodorowsky’s personal assistant remembers acting in El Topo and The Holy Mountain and his time spent with the director
  • The A to Z of The Holy Mountain, a new video essay by writer Ben Cobb
  • Deleted scenes with director’s commentary
  • The Tarot, a short film in which Jodorowsky explains the secrets of the cards
  • Original trailer
  • Image galleries
  • The Holy Mountain Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD
PSYCHOMAGIC, A HEALING ART
  • Blu-ray premiere of Jodorowsky’s new film
  • Original trailer

What A Disgrace

Re: Alejandro Jodorowsky Collection

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:57 am

This looks like a fantastic boxed set, but its also a bit too "well, obviously" for me to be as excited about it as I should.

therewillbeblus

#3 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Anyone think this’ll sell out quick like The Thing LE?

Luke M

#4 Post by Luke M » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:26 pm

I think this will sell as quickly as the Oldboy LE set did.

I'm pretty impressed by this set. Maybe I'm easy to please but it seems sets like this are somewhat a rarity nowadays.

Ashirg

#5 Post by Ashirg » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:59 pm

Who has rights in US? I was hoping Arrow will release it here as well..

feihong

#6 Post by feihong » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:26 pm

Anchor Bay released the previous blu-rays in the US. I don't know what that augurs for the rights now.

HernandoBiggies

#7 Post by HernandoBiggies » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:09 am

Were previous physical releases of the first three films in the UK cut at all?

agnamaracs

#8 Post by agnamaracs » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:55 pm

Really disappointed that this is Region B-locked. And now I've found that the Anchor Bay Blu of Holy Mountain is OOP and already going for at least five times its selling price.

This is what happens when you wait, folks... buy everything now.

Noiradelic

#9 Post by Noiradelic » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:02 am

feihong wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:26 pm
Anchor Bay released the previous blu-rays in the US.
I believe Abkco released the last versions of El Topo and Holy Mountain. Appears they haven't put out much else on BD other than two recent Jodorowsky films and three Stones-related films (they're known for music, obviously).

feihong

#10 Post by feihong » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:22 am

I remember this better, now that you say it. Abkco I believe did the restorations and theatrical bookings, and Anchor Bay released the blu rays. The discs have both logos on them. I believe Abkco was formed to distribute some of the stuff Allen Klein owned following his death in 2009. For a long time Klein had kept El Topo and The Holy Mountain from public release, and when he died the Abkco website went up and announced the restorations. I think it's likely Abkco still has the rights, then?

FlickeringWindow

#11 Post by FlickeringWindow » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:47 am

feihong wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:22 am
I remember this better, now that you say it. Abkco I believe did the restorations and theatrical bookings, and Anchor Bay released the blu rays. The discs have both logos on them. I believe Abkco was formed to distribute some of the stuff Allen Klein owned following his death in 2009. For a long time Klein had kept El Topo and The Holy Mountain from public release, and when he died the Abkco website went up and announced the restorations. I think it's likely Abkco still has the rights, then?
Actually, Klein and Jodorowsky made amends before Klein's death. ABKCO was formed in 1961 and is credited on the original releases of El Topo and The Holy Mountain.

feihong

#12 Post by feihong » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Good to know. Thanks for updating my fuzzy memory of the thing. I had never heard that Klein and Jodorowsky made amends. That's pretty cool.

Noiradelic

#13 Post by Noiradelic » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:02 pm

There's no Anchor Bay logo on the back or disc of my Holy Mountain BD (the print's a little small for me to read well). Blu-ray.com lists both a 2011 Anchor Bay and a 2014 Abkco release for El Topo and The Holy Mountain. Not claiming that's necessarily determinative, just putting it out there.

Guess since El Topo's still in print in the U.S., Arrow couldn't get Region A rights to the set as is. Suppose there's a chance that when they break the box, they could release everything else in Region A individually. Klein doesn't sound like the most accommodating of rights holders, though.

Believe Abkco owns the rights to the whole Rolling Stones' 1960's catalog, among many other albums.

feihong

#14 Post by feihong » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:57 pm

Interesting. I didn't know about the second Abkco release. I wonder if this disc is different?

I have the Anchor Bay discs, and they are disappointing. Very washed-out picture. Looking forward to these new Arrow discs, but HernandoBiggies question about cuts in the UK has me a little worried. There's a lot of animal trauma in these films.

DeprongMori

#15 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:28 pm

feihong wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:57 pm
Looking forward to these new Arrow discs, but HernandoBiggies question about cuts in the UK has me a little worried. There's a lot of animal trauma in these films.
Here’s the BBFC information on the forthcoming Arrow releases.

Fando y Lis: No Cuts

El Topo: No Cuts

The Holy Mountain: No Cuts

It looks like they all escaped unscathed.

Adam X

#16 Post by Adam X » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:33 pm

There’s no need to be worried. El Topo & The Holy Mountain have been available uncut in the UK for at least 20 years.

Noiradelic

#17 Post by Noiradelic » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:59 pm

feihong wrote:
Interesting. I didn't know about the second Abkco release. I wonder if this disc is different?

I have the Anchor Bay discs, and they are disappointing. Very washed-out picture.
Haven't watched the Abkco Holy Mountain yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's pretty much the same.

HernandoBiggies

#18 Post by HernandoBiggies » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:17 am

DeprongMori wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:28 pm
feihong wrote:
Looking forward to these new Arrow discs, but HernandoBiggies question about cuts in the UK has me a little worried. There's a lot of animal trauma in these films.
Here’s the BBFC information on the forthcoming Arrow releases.

Fando y Lis: No Cuts

El Topo: No Cuts

The Holy Mountain: No Cuts

It looks like they all escaped unscathed.
Thank you!

feihong

#19 Post by feihong » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:07 pm

That's great. This should be a lot better-looking than the previous blu ray releases.

Luke M

#20 Post by Luke M » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:11 pm

agnamaracs wrote:Really disappointed that this is Region B-locked. And now I've found that the Anchor Bay Blu of Holy Mountain is OOP and already going for at least five times its selling price.

This is what happens when you wait, folks... buy everything now.
I recommend a region free player. It changed the way I consumed movies.

feihong

#21 Post by feihong » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:01 pm

Luke M wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:11 pm
I recommend a region free player. It changed the way I consumed movies.
Yes! This is the workaround you need. It opens a whole range of things you ca see––not perhaps as dramatically as in the days of DVD, but it's one of the best ways to see so many more of the films you might want to see.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#22 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Release delayed to June 15 due to unforeseen circumstances on content approvals

dda1996a

#23 Post by dda1996a » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:58 pm

Man, the Coronavirus is now infecting arrow discs as well?

Telstar

#24 Post by Telstar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Jodo set rumored to be coming out in North America as well. Anyone know anything about this?

brundlefly

#25 Post by brundlefly » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:32 pm

Amazon now has the release date as August 24th.