Schramm

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Schramm

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:55 am

Controversial German filmmaker Jörg Buttgereit (Nekromantik, Nekromantik 2) takes you into the twisted mind of a deranged sex killer in the last of his feature films to date, 1993’s deeply disturbing Schramm.

Lothar Schramm, the so-called “Lipstick Killer”, lies dying in a pool of blood and paint. As he expires, fragments of his life flash before his eyes – his uneasy friendship with the prostitute that lives next door (Nekromantik 2’s Monika M); the brutal slaughter of a pair of doorstep evangelists whose bodies he poses in obscene fashion; his unhealthy pastime of hammering nails into his own manhood.

Told in an entirely non-linear fashion, Jörg Buttgereit’s Schramm – with its nightmarish hallucinatory sequences involving severed limbs and gaping, sharp-toothed female genitalia – comes about as close as a film can get to transporting you directly into the world of a sick, disordered mind.

2-DISC DIRECTOR-APPROVED LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • HD transfer overseen by the filmmakers
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original uncompressed Stereo 2.0 audio
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Limited edition digipak packaging featuring new artwork by Gilles Vranckx
  • Limited edition certificate
  • Set of 5 exclusive Schramm "polaroid" postcards
  • Soundtrack CD
  • Limited edition 60-page book
DISC 1 [BLU-RAY] - 'SCHRAMM'
  • Archival audio commentary with director/co-writer Jörg Buttgereit and co-writer Franz Rodenkirchen
  • Archival audio commentary with actors Florian Von Gustorf and Monika M
  • Tomorrow I Will Be Dirt: Scenes from the Afterlife of Lothar Schramm (2019) – brand new animated short film sequel to Schramm made by award-winning filmmaker and stop-motion artist Robert Morgan, produced exclusively for this release
  • Take My Body: The Journey of a Blow-up Doll – writer Kier-La Janisse on how she came to be the owner of a particularly interesting piece of Schramm memorabilia
  • Jörg Buttgereit in conversation with Arrow Video’s Ewan Cant at the 2019 Offscreen Film Festival
  • The Making of Schramm – archival behind-the-scenes documentary
  • Mein Papi – Jörg Buttgereit short film available in HD for the first time ever and with optional director audio commentary
  • Jesus – Der Film (1995) – short film segment directed by Jörg Buttgereit
  • Two short films by Schramm producer Manfred Jelinski: Orpheus in der Oberwelt (1970) and Ein Ku'ze' Film übe' Hambu'g (1990)
  • Extensive image gallery
  • Jörg Buttgereit Trailer Gallery
DISC 2 [CD] - 'SCHRAMM' SOUNDTRACK - LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE
  • CD featuring the complete Schramm score
60-PAGE BOOK - LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE
  • Exclusive perfect-bound book featuring new writing from Virginie Selavy and Graham Rae, all illustrated with new artwork and original archival stills
Production Year: 1993
Region Code: Free
UK Rating: 18
Running Time: 65 mins
Number of Discs: 2
Language: German
Subtitles: English
Audio: Stereo
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Colour: Colour

colinr0380

Re: Schramm

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Great news! This is perhaps not the best known Jörg Buttgereit film but I think that perhaps it might be the most tolerable one? Though that is perhaps relative to the rest of his filmography! It is perhaps his most technically professional looking film, though that might also be seen as a detriment!

It has been a while since I last saw it but I remember it being an interesting journey into the mind of a disturbed, lonely individual being constantly driven to distraction by visitors often in a murderous way (as in the dispatching of a couple of Bible bashers who come to his door, tying this film together for me with similar scenes from the later films Felicia's Journey and Gus Van Sant's Last Days), but as with many of the main characters in Buttgereit's films the most wince-worthy moments of violence are self-inflicted, whether fantasies (the teeth scene) or not (the penis nailing). And there is perhaps the least appealing use of a sex toy in all cinema in this film! As usual the main female character (played by Monika M., the lead in Nekromantik 2) is much more down to earth and pragmatic than the frustrated and tortured self-destructive male lead.

Glad to see there is a soundtrack CD there as whilst Barrel provided a CD on their release of Nekromantik 2, their DVD edition of Schramm did not feature one.

I'm now looking forward to Arrow releasing Nekromantik 2 under the Arrow Video label and Kissed (i.e. the unofficial arthouse remake) through Arrow Films!

Adam X

#3 Post by Adam X » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:44 pm

Yeah, great news, definitely. Been looking forward to this, and’d possibly say it’s my favourite of Buttgereit’s films. Even of it leaves me feeling somewhat soiled by the experience. I always figured Barrel would’ve included the CD soundtrack on their unreleased edition of Der Todesking.

By the way, Arrow already released Nekromantik 2 a while back. Kissed would be nice though.
Last edited by Adam X on Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:17 am

Ah! I had forgotten about the release of Nekromantik 2!