Django & Texas, Adios

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Django & Texas, Adios

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:43 am

NEW US/CA TITLE: Django + Texas Adios (SteelBook Blu-ray) Limited Edition

Presented here in an exclusive new restoration with a wealth of extras including the newly restored bonus feature Texas Adios

Release date: 19 November

In this definitive Spaghetti Western, Franco Nero (Keoma, The Fifth Cord) gives a career-defining performance as Django, a mysterious loner who arrives at a mud-drenched ghost town on the Mexico-US border, ominously dragging a coffin behind him. After saving imperilled prostitute Maria (Loredana Nusciak), Django becomes embroiled in a brutal feud between a racist gang and a band of Mexican revolutionaries...

With Django, director Sergio Corbucci (The Great Silence) upped the ante for sadism and sensationalism in Westerns, depicting machine gun massacres, mud-fighting prostitutes and savage mutilations. A huge hit with international audiences, Django’s brand of bleak nihilism would be repeatedly emulated in a raft of unofficial sequels.

The film is presented here in an exclusive new restoration with a wealth of extras including the newly restored bonus feature Texas Adios, which also stars Franco Nero, and was released as Django 2 in several territories.

2-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• New restoration from a 4K scan of Django from the original camera negative by Arrow Films
• New restoration from a 2K scan of Texas Adios from the original camera negative by Arrow Films
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations
• Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM audio
• Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• Limited edition fully illustrated booklet featuring new writing on the film by Howard Hughes and original reviews

DISC 1 – DJANGO
• Audio commentary by film critic, historian and theorist Stephen Prince
• Newly filmed interview with star Franco Nero
• Newly filmed interview with assistant director Ruggero Deodato
• Newly filmed interview with co-writer Franco Rossetti
• Newly filmed interview with Sergio Corbucci’s wife Nora Corbucci
• Archival interview with co-writer Piero Vivarelli
• Archival interview with stuntman and actor Gilberto Galimberti
• Discovering Django, newly filmed appreciation by Spaghetti Westerns scholar Austin Fisher
• An Introduction to Django by Alex Cox, an archival featurette with the acclaimed director
• Gallery of original promotional images from the Mike Siegel Archive
• Original trailer

DISC 2 – TEXAS ADIOS
• Audio commentary for by spaghetti western experts C. Courtney Joyner and Henry C. Parke
• Newly filmed interview with star Franco Nero
• Newly filmed interview with co-star Alberto Dell'Acqua
• Newly filmed interview with co-writer Franco Rossetti
• Hello Texas!, newly filmed appreciation by Spaghetti Westerns scholar Austin Fisher
• Gallery of original promotional images from the Mike Siegel Archive
• Original trailer

Big Ben

Re: Django & Texas, Adios

#2 Post by Big Ben » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:33 pm

The selling point here is obviously Django. It's been a hit whenever I put it on for people and this new version looks worth the upgrade from the Blue Underground version. I have not however seen Texas, Adios which is clearly piggybacking here. Has anyone seen it?

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:56 pm

I'm curious about the Alex Cox archival featurette on Django: Cox introduced the film for Moviedrome in 1993 and I think he also introduced it again for ITV4 in 2009 or so (there is a partial clip of it here), so it could be either of those. Or maybe something else!

I have not seen Texas, Adios either but here's its trailer

Craig Wallace

#4 Post by Craig Wallace » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:41 pm

There is an Alex Cox introduction on Argent Films DVD of Django from 2004. It closely resembles the Moviedrome and ITV intros.

colinr0380

#5 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:10 pm

That sounds more likely to be it then! Thanks Craig!

Finch

#6 Post by Finch » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:12 pm

Texas Adios is a UK title as well, sadly someone else has Django for the UK.

rapta

#7 Post by rapta » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:45 pm

Finch wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:12 pm
Texas Adios is a UK title as well, sadly someone else has Django for the UK.
Somebody else presumably being Cult Films (fka Argent/Nouveaux). Maybe Arrow will allow them to license it, or they'll just wait for their rights to expire and release it to the UK (obviously on its own though, since Texas Adios is getting a standalone UK release).

jlnight

#8 Post by jlnight » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:01 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:56 pm
I'm curious about the Alex Cox archival featurette on Django: Cox introduced the film for Moviedrome in 1993 and I think he also introduced it again for ITV4 in 2009 or so (there is a partial clip of it here), so it could be either of those. Or maybe something else!

I have not seen Texas, Adios either but here's its trailer
Texas Adios always turns up on Movies4Men. In fact it's on Sun 9th Sept at 10am.

Cox also introduced it on ITV4 back in 2005/6 (this spag season launched the channel):
Texas Adios, alias Texas Addio, or Texas Goodbye, also known as The Avenger was directed in 1966 by Fernando Baldi (sic). 1966 was a vintage year for Spaghetti Westerns. It was the year The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was made and A Bullet for the General. Baldi was a prolific director of action films, if not always a good one. Among his other westerns were Little Rita of the West (a western universally disliked by Spaghetti enthusiasts), Blindman, the only western ever to feature Ringo Starr as a Mexican bandit, and Comin' At Ya!, the first and only 3-D Spaghetti western.

Texas Adios was made soon after Django and it stars Franco Nero. Nero was and is a very good looking actor, with impressive blue eyes. He starred in over 150 films. In this one he seems to repeat a lot of what he did in Django. The film has the same cameraman, Enzo Barboni, and he backlights Nero in a very similar way. It also has the same costume designer, the highly talented Carlo Simi, and needless to say Simi even dresses Nero similarly to heighten the resemblance.

Nero made something of a speciality of playing the gringo who was involved in the Mexican Revolution, usually as an arms dealer or an expert in tactics. Here he plays Burt Sullivan, a Texas sheriff who goes to Mexico with his kid brother Jim to hunt down the Mexican bandit who killed their dad. So far, so good! Burt Sullivan has a wonderful name, as always in Spaghetti Westerns, but he doesn't have the same mystery or the doomed nobility that Django did. He's rather a colourless revenger. And worse is the kid brother, Jim, who you just loathe. Don't worry though, Jim's going to get what's coming to him!

The film's also prone to mysterious delays at times. Why has Burt Sullivan waited so many years before deciding to go after the murderers of his pa? And why, when they finally get down to Mexico and catch up with the murderer, don't the boys get on with it? Delay always leads to disaster in these movies but in this way Baldi's film is like Yojimbo, One-Eyed Jacks and Hamlet, other films in which the hero mysteriously tarries and puts off the showdown.

The best thing about Texas Adios is its villains. Being modelled after a Corbucci film there are 2 of them - a refined gringo and a more fiery Mexican. The gringo is the exotic Englishman McLeod, whom we first see inhaling vapours in a bath chair, offering them a couple of shots of creme de menthe. Cisco Delgado is unusually refined as well, wearing brocade vests, inhabiting a baronial hall and playing a giant organ.

Texas Adios is not as great as Django but it's almost certainly the earliest imitator of that film. The benefits are often Barboni's camerawork and there's enough sporadic action and mowing down of extras to satisfy all but the most deranged Spaghetti Western fan.

colinr0380

#9 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks jlnight! Especially for reminding me of Little Rita of the West, which is a sort of feminist musical western(?) featuring a diminutive Calamity Jane-type meeting every male spaghetti western hero (The Man With No Name, Django, Bud Spencer as someone in the same vein as Trinity) and mostly exploding them with her golden gun that fires golden hand grenades, resulting in some of the finest dummy deaths ever committed to film!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#10 Post by tenia » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:14 pm

I wanted to skip the UK version to get Django through its newer restoration, but it looks like Amazon and Wow HD put the product page down. DVD Diabolik still seems to have it up for preorder though (but that'd be way more expensive for me to get it in Belgium : it's already expensive enough at $34.99, but $22.33 shipping fees minimum only makes it even more expensive).

dwk

#11 Post by dwk » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:49 pm

The Django release has also disappeared from MVD's site, but Arrow has supposedly said that the release is still happening.

dwk

#12 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Delayed:
Texas Adios UK - December 10
Django US - December 11

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#13 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:30 am

Despite Arrow's claims on FB and Twitter that the release isnt delayed or cancelled, the US set is now impossible to order online, and it seems like some retailers have been requested to hold off their stock and not to put it on the shelves. Rumor says it might be a last minute rights issue. Some copies have been shipped however, so products definitely exist.

What A Disgrace

#14 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:38 am

I got my copy last week, so yeah, its real.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#15 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:06 am

That'll teach me waiting for whatever before placing my pre order !

Adam X

#16 Post by Adam X » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:24 pm

I presumably had a copy waiting to ship once one more item came in, but sadly Diabolik just refunded me for it, stating “Unfortunately Django has been pulled from circulation...”.

dwk

#17 Post by dwk » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:04 pm

Amazon shipped my pre-order today . I really was expecting them to cancel it.
It'd be nice if Arrow would comment on what exactly is going on

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#18 Post by tenia » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Forrest Taft

#19 Post by Forrest Taft » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:08 pm

My order has been «preparing for shipment» since yesterday. Crossing my fingers.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:12 pm

At least now everyone who received a copy can retire early by reselling it

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#21 Post by tenia » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:38 pm

I'm actually quite frustrated because since Amazon.com enforced their mandatory "Import Deposit Fees", it cost a lot to order even just a single $25-30 product from them. This makes me hesitate a lot when pre-ordering US releases, and I switched to WOW HD and almost don't buy anything anymore on Amazon because of this. That's why in this case, I didn't place my pre-order soon enough, and when I wanted to do it a few weeks ago, it was already not possible anymore.
However, the products exist, the stocks have been sent and received, but the retailers can't put the copies on the shelves, while a few lucky ones have gotten theirs.
If this issue isn't solved, it will leave me with only 2 possibilities if I want to catch Django through the new 4K resto : either unload a ton of money on eBay, or try an illegal solution.

Hopefully, this will be smoothed out over time like B&BL has been, and I prefer to remain confident, but knowing how close it was to get a copy is all the more frustrating.

Or I could sell one of my OOP Criterion to finance this one instead !

dwk

#22 Post by dwk » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:12 pm

I like how Arrow is blaming BU for this. It wouldn't shock me, nor would it be the first time that it happened, if it turns out that the Italian company claiming to have the US rights don't actually have them. This occurred most famously with Zombie on DVD (which also involved BU.)

Should've left my DJango set sealed. I coulda been rich, goddamn it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#23 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:23 pm

No, they're blaming the Italian rights owner

dwk

#24 Post by dwk » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:32 pm

Many retail customers of ours in the US and Canada have been threatened by Blue Underground with cease and desist letters on the Django / Texas Adios products that we have produced so far, namely the 2-disc Limited Edition and the Limited Edition Steelbook, both scheduled for release on December 11th 2018 in both the US and the Canada.

We place the onus to resolve the issue of Blue Underground’s continued exploitation of the films outside of their license period upon the underlying Italian rights owner.
Sound to me like they are blaming BU, but wanting the Italian rights owner to solve it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#25 Post by tenia » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:47 pm

It reads to me like they're just blaming everyone else as a whole : BU for the interference and the Italian company because now they're stuck while they shouldn't be. And since everything has been produced already, I can only try to imagine how costly it might be to be stuck with these.