The Bloodstained Butterfly

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

The Bloodstained Butterfly

#1 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 07, 2016 11:31 pm

Directed by Duccio Tessari (Death Occurred Last Night, A Pistol for Ringo), The Bloodstained Butterflymelds the lurid giallo traditions popularised by Dario Argento and Mario Bava with courtroom drama, resulting in a film that is as concerned with forensic detail and legal process as it is with grisly murders and audacious set-pieces.

When a young female student is savagely killed in a park during a thunderstorm, the culprit seems obvious: her lover, TV sports personality Alessandro Marchi (Giancarlo Sbragia, Death Rage), seen fleeing the scene of the crime by numerous eyewitnesses. The evidence against him is damning… but is it all too convenient? And when the killer strikes again while Marchi is in custody, it quickly becomes apparent that there's more to the case than meets the eye…

Starring 70s heartthrob Helmut Berger (Dorian Gray, The Godfather: Part III) alongside genre mainstays Evelyn Stewart (The Psychic, The Case of the Scorpion's Tail) and Carole André (Colt 38 Special Squad), and featuring a score by Gianni Ferrio (Death Walks at Midnight), The Bloodstained Butterfly is presented uncut and in a sumptuous new 4K restoration that allows this unique and haunting thriller to shine like never before!

Special Features:
Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
Original Italian and English soundtracks in DTS-HD MA mono 1.0
Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
New audio commentary with critics Alan Jones and Kim Newman
Murder in B-Flat Minor, a new visual essay on the film, its cast and crew by author Troy Howarth
New career retrospective on director Duccio Tessari
Original Italian and English theatrical trailers
Gallery of original promotional images
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
Limited edition 36-page booklet illustrated by Tonci Zonjic, containing writing by James Blackford, Howard Hughes and Leonard Jacobs

Mr Sausage

Re: The Bloodstained Butterfly

#2 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed May 11, 2016 11:09 pm

This is a somewhat novel giallo in that it leaves all the stalk-and-slash stuff for the third act. The first two acts are a courtroom thriller that pieces together the multiple perspectives of the witnesses to the initial crime of the film, rather like how the hero of an Angento giallo replays his memories over and over to figure out what he missed. It's worth watching for how it does and doesn't use the conventions of what was becoming a popular sub-genre.

feihong

#3 Post by feihong » Thu May 12, 2016 5:34 am

Sounds pretty interesting! I'm a big fan of both Ringo movies. I wish those Tessari pictures would get 4k restorations and blu rays, too.

frankiecrisp

#4 Post by frankiecrisp » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:17 am

I went to order this from amazon uk but its showing as only available as region A has it being released for B yet

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloodstained-B ... +Butterfly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:53 am

The disc is coded to Regions A and B, and you'll get the same one (at least in terms of the machine-readable side) regardless of which version you order.

frankiecrisp

#6 Post by frankiecrisp » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:22 am

MichaelB wrote:The disc is coded to Regions A and B, and you'll get the same one (at least in terms of the machine-readable side) regardless of which version you order.
Thanks.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:36 pm

Berger's bizarre introduction to this film was more interesting than the film itself. This is like 90% policier/courtroom thriller, and while not bad it is still unremarkable and instantly forgettable. I suspect Berger was right and the director had no idea what he wanted to accomplish

Orlac

#8 Post by Orlac » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:10 am

I know I'm both paranoid and colour blind but this looks like another Ritrovata release with issues.
Seems to have the characteristic weak gamma and yellow colour. But I thought Arrow were correcting these - they did for Deep Red at least.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#9 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:11 am

Orlac wrote:Seems to have the characteristic weak gamma and yellow colour. But I thought Arrow were correcting these - they did for Deep Red at least.
They did it only for some titles, Deep Red having been the most deeply retouched. However, if you look at What have you done to Solange, which has been color corrected too, you'll see that it retains some of the poor black levels / yellow bias which can be seen on other gialli / Bologna restorations. However, this one was color corrected by David Mackenzie, while Deep Red was color corrected straight at L'immagine Ritrovata for Arrow (which says a lot about what they can do).

I haven't seen yet Bloodstained and don't have the booklet nearby to check, but it might have been such a case : color-corrected internally.

David M.

#10 Post by David M. » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:40 am

However, this one was color corrected by David Mackenzie, while Deep Red was color corrected straight at L'immagine Ritrovata for Arrow (which says a lot about what they can do).
Deep Red actually underwent extensive adjustment by Arrow (at Deluxe) before going out the door - it's why it was delayed until the other side of Christmas. If you watch the video essay on the disc, that actually uses the pre-corrected version, where the color changes from shot to shot. I actually also made some minimal last minute adjustments on DR, but I wasn't involved with color correction on BUTTERFLY.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#11 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:28 am

David M. wrote:Deep Red actually underwent extensive adjustment by Arrow (at Deluxe) before going out the door.
My bad, I was convinced the adjustment work was performed at Bologna.
* goes and correct his own review *

Orlac

#12 Post by Orlac » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:06 pm

David, were you involved with the Death Walks or Killer Dames colour correction?

thanks!

David M.

#13 Post by David M. » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:21 pm

tenia wrote:
David M. wrote:Deep Red actually underwent extensive adjustment by Arrow (at Deluxe) before going out the door.
My bad, I was convinced the adjustment work was performed at Bologna.
* goes and correct his own review *
Oh, they were... the first pass!
David, were you involved with the Death Walks or Killer Dames colour correction?
No.

Orlac

#14 Post by Orlac » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Why exactly does Ritrovata make everything yellow? Have they ever been questioned on this?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#15 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:43 pm

Orlac wrote:Why exactly does Ritrovata make everything yellow? Have they ever been questioned on this?
It's something I'd love to know too (and it sadly goes beyond Bologna, Eclair and Digimages are also prone to give their restorations a yellow bias).

While, a few years ago, we said "it's actually faithful", I'm now thinking this isn't actually the case. It seems like whatever movie comes in Bologna, it goes out with the same poor blacks + yellow bias color timing. There was the magenta push, now there is the yellow one.