Return of the Killer Tomatoes

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Return of the Killer Tomatoes

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:30 pm

NEW UK/US TITLE: Return of the Killer Tomatoes (Arrow Video) Blu-ray in the US, Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD in the UK

The killer tomatoes are back! On Blu-ray in the US and Dual format in the UK

UK Release Date: 27th June 2016
US Release Date: 28 June 2016
Region: AB

THE VEGETABLES OF DOOM!

The killer tomatoes are back! But this time around, they’re going to have to contend with late ’80s George Clooney and his wicked mullet… Is it a fruit? Is it a vegetable? Nope, it’s Return of the Killer Tomatoes!

Ten years on from the Great Tomato War, mankind lives in fear of another uprising by the waxy red menace. Meanwhile, Professor Gangreen – played with gusto by the late, great John Astin from TV’s The Addams Family – sets out to pursue his own evil ends by creating a burgeoning army of tomato militia men (who, somewhat conveniently, look just like regular men).

Following on from the 1978 cult classic Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Return of the Killer Tomatoes came armed with a healthy sense of its own ridiculousness and would expand upon a franchise that now comprises four films, two TV series and a video game. So what are you waiting for? Make Return of the Killer Tomatoes one of your five-a-day now!

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
•*UK only!* High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations *UK only!*
•Original Stereo audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Brand new audio commentary with writer-director John De Bello
•Brand new interview with star Anthony Starke
•Original Theatrical Trailer
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
•Fully-illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by critic James Oliverr

knives

Re: Return of the Killer Tomatoes

#2 Post by knives » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Amazing. Any chance of the first film also being released? These first two have some great Lester-esque wit while retaining that bizarre Troma visual aesthetic.

Arthur House

#3 Post by Arthur House » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:50 pm

arrow copywriters wrote: Meanwhile, Professor Gangreen – played with gusto by the late, great John Astin from TV’s The Addams Family
Um, John Astin is still alive.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:51 pm

And in my city, apparently. Want me to pop in on him to give him the good news?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:54 pm

Leave a smashed tomato on his porch along with a note reading "Arrow says you're dead." He'll probably think that's pretty funny.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#6 Post by tenia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:15 pm

The thing when I'm about 30 years late on such movies is that I'm going in with so many pre-conceived ideas that a surprise is very much possible. There wasn't much yesterday evening on Satan's Blade, for sure, but today was quite the opposite. I thought this would be an awfully-cheesy cheap movie. That George Clooney was only in there for 5 min. That the movie would take itself very seriously. And actually, it's the absolute opposite, and while certainly no masterpiece, it was quite an enjoyable blast.

With a certain sense of meta-humor and a rather good pace, it had a kind of feel somewhere between the Rocky Horror Picture Show, Frankenstein Jr and '86 The Little Shop of Horrors. The absurdity of all this plays very well and smoothly, with a cast clearly having a blast too in a communicative way and an overall dead-on way of playing each character. I especially loved Steve Lundquist's character, actually way smarter than it seems to be at first glance. And don't forget the soundtrack. I absolutely need to get that one, at least for the "Big-breasted tomatoes who go to the beach and take their tops off" theme song !

What's really great (IMO) in the film and its jokes though is that their pay-offs are pretty good : the product placements, the movie within a movie, the low budget meta part, the 1st reel - last reel stuff, and most of the lines coming out of the blue too ("You've hurt Larry! You will never know what it means to love, or be loved!", "Valerian root powder !", "How about a blow job, maybe iron your pants?", "You wouldn't believe what I could do with 6 milk bottles, a tuning fork, and some lawn chairs.", "Here, use a page from my script").

It almost made me want to check the other sequels but sadly, it seems their "crazy credits" might the funniest bits from them.