Edgar Allan Poe’s Black Cats: Two Adaptations

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:54 am

Release Date: 12th October (UK), 13th October (US)
Format: Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD
Starring: David Warbeck, Patrick Magee, Mimsy Farmer, Luigi Pistilli, Edwige Fenech, Anita Stringbgerg
Directed by: Sergio Martino, Lucio Fulci

Synopsis: Edgar Allan Poe’s celebrated story The Black Cat has provided the inspiration for numerous films over the years. But few adaptations are as stylish as those offered up by the twin Italian titans of terror, Sergio Martino and Lucio Fulci.

In Martino’s classic giallo Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key, teacher Oliviero (Luigi Pistilli, A Bay of Blood) finds himself under suspicion for murder when one of his students – and mistress – is found brutally murdered. As more bodies start to pile up, the arrival of Oliviero’s attractive niece (Edwige Fenech, Five Dolls for an August Moon, All the Colours of the Dark) brings with it complications of its own.

In The Black Cat, from that “other” Godfather of Gore, Lucio Fulci (Zombie), Scotland Yard Inspector Gorley (David Warbeck, The Beyond) find himself summoned to a sleepy English village to investigate the recent murder of a young couple. With no obvious signs of entry at the murder scene, Gorley is forced to start considering the possibility that his suspect may not be human…

Finally together on Blu-ray and in stunning new 2K restorations from the original camera negatives, fans can enjoy the double-dose of terror that is Edgar Allan Poe’s Black Cats – Italian-style!

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

Brand new 2K restorations of the films from the original camera negatives
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
Original Italian and English soundtracks in mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
Newly translated subtitles for the Italian soundtracks
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtracks
Brand new interview with director Sergio Martino
Dolls of Flesh and Blood: The Gialli of Sergio Martino – a visual essay by Michael Mackenzie exploring Sergio Martino’s unique contributions to the giallo genre
Stephen Thrower, author of Beyond Terror – The Films of Lucio Fulci, on The Black Cat
Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
Limited Edition 80-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the films, Poe’s original story and more, illustrated with archive stills and posters
Much more to be announced!

colinr0380

Re: Edgar Allan Poe’s Black Cats: Two Adaptations

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:34 pm

Great news! I can finally get rid of my old Redemption VHS of Fulci's version of The Black Cat. The Fulci film isn't quite as gory as his more acclaimed films but it does have a few grisly set piece moments happening to minor characters (I often think it feels more similar to a James Herbert book in structure than Edgar Allan Poe!), particularly Daniela Doria and boyfriend getting another horribly callous death to pair with the opening of The House By The Cemetery! (Though its not on the level of her New York Ripper death!)

The Black Cat certainly uses its widescreen ratio to the fullest extent, with lots of close ups of eyes! If you can cope with lots of slightly humourous shots of Patrick Magee and his cat psychically communicating through eye close up back-and-forths, then you'll probably be fine with the film! Although by far the best part of the film is the excellent Pino Donaggio score!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:07 pm

colinr0380 wrote:lots of close ups of eyes!!
colinr0380 wrote:The Fulci film
Your story checks out

Mel

#4 Post by Mel » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:35 pm

For me, the best film in this set is "Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key". I think that is an excellent Giallo. I have the No Shame dvd but I'm really curious how this film looks in HD. Hopefully more No Shame titles are receiving the Arrow threatment in the future. The Black Cat is the icing on the cake to seal the deal. Great release.

Mr Sausage

#5 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 am

These are some of the loosest "adaptations" you're ever going to see, although this Poe story seems to've attracted free adaptations from the beginning (Universal, AIP).

I'd have to agree with Mel, Martino's film is much better than Fulci's, although the title is still the best thing about it (it's an ok giallo). It's probably worth watching just for its weird structure. It changes genres every act, from giallo to bedroom intrigue to erotic thriller.

Fulci's film is one of those stories that makes it very obvious what's happening right from the start, but insists on keeping up the pretense of being a mystery for the rest of the movie. So you have to wait around for everyone to figure out things you've long known the answer to, hoping at least for some gore (that never really comes). Far from Fulci's best. Indeed, he'd already done the big Poe inspired scene here in an earlier, better movie.

Vito Cipriani

#6 Post by Vito Cipriani » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:41 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:Fulci's film is one of those stories that makes it very obvious what's happening right from the start, but insists on keeping up the pretense of being a mystery for the rest of the movie. So you have to wait around for everyone to figure out things you've long known the answer to, hoping at least for some gore (that never really comes). Far from Fulci's best. Indeed, he'd already done the big Poe inspired scene here in an earlier, better movie.
The Fulci film is graced with a wonderful prowling camerawork from Sergio Salvati and a great score from Pino Donaggio too.

Dr Amicus

#8 Post by Dr Amicus » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:52 am

For the Fulci, is there a preferred language option? The presence of Patrick Magee is tilting me towards English...

Orlac

#9 Post by Orlac » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:01 am

I go for Italian. Or watch both.

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:20 am

English, definitely. It's the native language of not just Magee but also David Warbeck and Mimsy Farmer. Why would you want to watch them (and Magee in particular) dubbed into Italian?

Jean-Luc Garbo

#11 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:54 pm

It's a silly film so just watch the English. It plays much straighter anyway. I watched it two weeks ago and wasn't quite expecting this much fun from a Fulci film. As a cat lover, all the feline close-ups were welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing the Stephen Thrower interview. I'd imagine Kim Newman would also be a delight but given how flippantly I took the film I think I'll appreciate Thrower's perspective.

Orlac

#12 Post by Orlac » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:19 am

I tend to go for the Italian dubs because they sound better. Even if the US/UK actors are doing their own voice work, I find the supporting cast can sound really phony or distracting. Case in point: Sleepless. Max Von Sydow does his own voice in the English dub, everyone else sounds absurd.

Of course, choice is best.

colinr0380

#13 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:12 pm

Only being familiar with the late 90s 18 rated Redemption VHS, I found it interesting to note that The Black Cat apparently got re-classified by the BBFC down to a 15 a little while back. Apparently the Shameless DVD from around 2007 was when the feature got the 15 classification, though the disc stayed an 18 presumably because of other material or trailers on their disc.

It kind of makes sense as while there are a few grisly moments, there's not quite as much dwelling on the gore as in Fulci's more celebrated features!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:00 pm

hubba hubba
Now there's the Gary Tooze we know and love!

A man stayed-put

#16 Post by A man stayed-put » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Just wondering if anyone else noticed a certain amount of 'flickering' or fluctuations in the picture on the Black Cat? I've seen nothing but positive comments for it and just want to check whether it's a problem on my end or just the nature of the print.

What A Disgrace

#17 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:42 pm

I experienced the same thing, and I assume its just the nature of the surviving materials.

A man stayed-put

#18 Post by A man stayed-put » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:13 am

Suspected as much, thanks very much for the response.

TMDaines

#19 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:51 pm

So is the only exclusive to the set – over the recently announced individual releases – the booklet?

Ashirg

#20 Post by Ashirg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:43 am

The set was also dual editions for 2 films while individual releases are separate blu-ray and DVD.

kompromiss

#21 Post by kompromiss » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:27 pm

Nice release overall, but it's pity that interview with David Warbeck doesn't have english HOH subtitles. Quality of sound, understandably, is not very good, so it would be great if Arrow would consider adding HOH subtitles for supplements with such poor recorded sound.