My Darling Clementine

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

My Darling Clementine

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 01, 2015 11:52 am

Release Date: 10th August 2015
Format: Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD
Starring: Henry Fonda, Linda Darnell, Victor Mature
Directed by: John Ford

Synopsis: Wyatt Earp has long fascinated filmmakers. Actors from Burt Lancaster and James Stewart to Kurt Russell and Kevin Costner have played the legendary gunfighter, but no portrayal is more definitive that Henry Fonda’s in My Darling Clementine.

John Ford’s first Western since his seminal Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine ranks among the director’s finest. Telling the story of the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, and the friendship between Earp and Doc Holliday, Ford renders this famous tale into a lyrical masterpiece, filmed in his beloved Monument Valley and full of iconic moments.

This limited edition contains two versions of the Western classic – the version that premiered in cinemas in December 1946 and the longer ‘pre-release’ cut that had played to preview audiences earlier that year – as well as another Wyatt Earp movie from 20th Century Fox, Allan Dwan’s Frontier Marshal starring Randolph Scott and Cesar Romero.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of My Darling Clementine’s theatrical and ‘pre-release’ versions and Frontier Marshal
Original uncompressed PCM mono 1.0 sound
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jay Shaw

BLU-RAY DISC 1: MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (THEATRICAL VERSION):
4K digital film restoration
Commentary on the theatrical version by author Scott Eyman and Earp’s grandson, Wyatt Earp III
John Ford and Monument Valley – a 2013 documentary on the director’s lifelong association with Utah’s Monument Valley containing interviews with Peter Cowie (author of John Ford and the American West), John Ford, John Wayne, Henry Fonda, James Stewart and Martin Scorsese
Movie Masterclass – a 1988 episode of the Channel 4 series, devoted to My Darling Clementine and presented by Lindsay Anderson
Lost and Gone Forever – a visual essay by Tag Gallagher on the themes that run through My Darling Clementine and the film’s relationship with John Ford’s other works
Stills gallery
Theatrical Trailer

BLU-RAY DISC 2: MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (‘PRE-RELEASE’ VERSION), FRONTIER MARSHAL AND OTHER WYATT EARP TALES [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]:
2K digital film restoration of the ‘pre-release’ version of My Darling Clementine
What is the Pre-Release Version? – a documentary by Robert Gitt, Senior Film Preservation Officer at the UCLA Film and Television Archive, comparing the two versions of My Darling Clementine
High Definition digital film transfer of Frontier Marshal, Allan Dwan’s 1939 Wyatt Earp film starring Randolph Scott
Two radio plays inspired by Wyatt Earp – a 1947 adaptation of My Darling Clementine starring Henry Fonda as Earp and Richard Conte as Doc Holliday, and a 1949 Hallmark Playhouse production in which Conte played the role of Earp
Frontier Marshall Theatrical Trailer

40-PAGE BOOKLET [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
Booklet containing new writing on My Darling Clementine by Kim Newman (author of Wild West Movies) and on Frontier Marshal by Glenn Kenny, plus an extensive archive interview with screenwriter Winston Miller, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
More to be announced!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: My Darling Clementine

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 01, 2015 12:00 pm

I don't envy Arrow releasing this in the shadow of Criterion's treatment given that the Crit was probably one of the greatest single title home video releases ever in terms of worthwhile extras

hearthesilence

#3 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 01, 2015 12:12 pm

I'm guessing they don't have the budget to do this, but there's one way they can one-up Criterion: present the restored/preview version with overlapping footage spliced in from the 4k restoration of the theatrical release.

Criterion did something like this with Red River, which was easier (less differences) and absolutely worth it.

PfR73

#4 Post by PfR73 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:17 pm

They could also present the preview version with lossless audio, which would be one improvement on the Criterion release.

rockysds

#5 Post by rockysds » Fri May 01, 2015 12:25 pm

It has Frontier Marshal in HD which is really all I need to double dip.

Full specs here.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Sweet, I can finally ditch the smaller John Ford box with Frontier Marshall in it!

EddieLarkin

#7 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri May 01, 2015 1:44 pm

And *I* can stop feeling annoyed that I missed out on the free disc Fox were giving away with the big Ford box I just bought!

DeprongMori

#8 Post by DeprongMori » Fri May 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Having missed out on the "Frontier Marshal" bonus disc on the "Ford at Fox" box as well, double-dipping on the Arrow "My Darling Clementine" is very tempting. Maybe I'll wait until I've made it through the other twenty films in "Fox" before doing so. My kevyip is already absurd at this point.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 05, 2015 11:36 am

hearthesilence wrote:I'm guessing they don't have the budget to do this, but there's one way they can one-up Criterion: present the restored/preview version with overlapping footage spliced in from the 4k restoration of the theatrical release.
It's been looked into, but it would be a massive undertaking, as demonstrated by the fact that restorer Robert Gitt needs 45 minutes' worth of featurette to explain the differences between the two versions.

In some cases scenes were just removed, but in others they were chopped down, or trimmed slightly, or had re-shoots inserted in them, or were re-shot entirely, or re-framed (Gitt had to do some intervention on certain bits as parts of the pre-release version were lost or heavily damaged), or re-scored, or re-dubbed. Quite aside from all that, if Arrow was to create a hybrid version from two noticeably different masters, you'd end up with regular distracting shifts in image quality that would most likely outweigh any perceived advantages.

That said, I can confirm that the master of the pre-release version will look and sound as good as it can - high bitrate, lossless sound, the works.

hearthesilence

#10 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 05, 2015 12:06 pm

That's very disheartening. Not just the futility of fixing up the preview version, but that fact that even after so many changes were made to Ford's original cut, there could be so many more awaiting to be done - it really sounds like they hacked it to bits.

EddieLarkin

#11 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue May 05, 2015 5:35 pm

It's almost certainly not worth doing if that is the case. I wasn't sure if the differences were simply a few additional scenes and the alternative ending, but evidently not.

frankiecrisp

#12 Post by frankiecrisp » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:53 am

Anyone know why this has not been released today it had 17th on amazon

rapta

#13 Post by rapta » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:40 pm

frankiecrisp wrote:Anyone know why this has not been released today it had 17th on amazon
Cock-up from the supplier is my guess. I had pre-ordered directly through Arrow and they didn't dispatch it 'til last Wednesday (despite the stock arriving in their warehouse the following Thursday). It's anyone's guess why the stock hasn't arrived with Amazon yet though - as I said, probably the supplier's fault (Sony DADC I seem to remember). Don't worry, they should get stock soon - might be worth enquiring (or complaining).

Paul Moran

#14 Post by Paul Moran » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:43 pm

I came late to the party, and only ordered mine today. Amazon quoted 1 - 3 weeks (usually) for dispatch.

manicsounds

#15 Post by manicsounds » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:18 am

Der Spieler

#16 Post by Der Spieler » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Edit: Nevermind.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:05 pm

Non-limited edition coming in February