Withnail and I

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Withnail & I

#76 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:37 pm

Well I always would have preferred a more modest-sized package like this that fits on my shelves, and I only ordered the deluxe edition because of Arrow's representation here that there would be no other release (and because available stock was reportedly dwindling). I don't hold grudges, Arrow, but in the future, you should let the quality of your product do the enticing, not consumer panic.

rwaits

#77 Post by rwaits » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:13 pm

In Arrow's defense, when asked if their would be a future release after the limited edition, didn't they say something like "no plans at this time" ? I didn't think the definitively said no.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#78 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:18 pm

rwaits wrote:In Arrow's defense, when asked if their would be a future release after the limited edition, didn't they say something like "no plans at this time" ? I didn't think the definitively said no.
The question and answer were restated just a few posts ago, and I think you're misremembering them.

antnield

#79 Post by antnield » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:24 pm

I misread the question at the time. Chatterjees said he couldn't find a normal edition, so I read it as him asking whether one was available at the time of posting. Certainly no intention on my part to mislead anybody. (And I hope those that did buy the book edition as a result are still happy with the end results.)

Gregory

#80 Post by Gregory » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:56 pm

EddieLarkin quoted them on 11/4 in the main Arrow thread as having said "...we have no plans for another release for the film right now." I'm not sure where this came from, exactly. I just looked at Arrow's FB page and didn't see it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#81 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:06 pm

Well I'll give antnield the benefit of the doubt here, as he's an upstanding guy that I've had good dealings with in the past. And as a consolation prize, I suppose I will find a way to live with this ridiculously lavish DVD/coffee table book hybrid in my collection.

MichaelB

#82 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:08 pm

Since it's nearly sold out, I doubt you'll have much difficulty selling it.

Orlac

#83 Post by Orlac » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Besides the design of the set, is there anything exclusive to the Limited Edition? I'm thinking of returning it to Amazon and buying the Feb release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#84 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm glad I resisted, because I would absolutely hate myself if I spent 2-3X what this will cost me just for that giant personalized box and a coffee table book

rapta

#85 Post by rapta » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:40 pm

Gregory wrote:EddieLarkin quoted them on 11/4 in the main Arrow thread as having said "...we have no plans for another release for the film right now." I'm not sure where this came from, exactly. I just looked at Arrow's FB page and didn't see it.
I'm fairly sure that was their response to my question on Facebook, but I commented back saying I'd hold out for a near-certain slimmer release whether it would take months for them to reveal it or not. Obviously they wanted to sell as many of the limited sets as possible before announcing these cheaper options!

Turns out it only took - as I said - a few weeks!

manicsounds

#86 Post by manicsounds » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:11 pm

MichaelB wrote:CineOutsider:
It's unfortunate for Withnail & I that so many of us first encountered it on VHS or a TV screening, which conspired to convince us that this was one of the grubbier looking British films of the modern age. The early DVD releases did little to contradict this, and even Anchor Bay's 20th Anniversary Edition didn't exactly sparkle. This, we concluded, was how the film was meant to look. Rarely have I been so delighted to be wrong. This transfer ha been restored from a 2K scan of the original negative under the supervision of James White at Deluxe Digital. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris and scratches have been removed and the transfer was graded under the supervision of the film's director of photography Peter Hannan. The result is an absolute revelation.
Although I strongly disagree with him about the Kevin Jackson commentary, which I've listened to twice with genuine pleasure.
I finally listened to the commentary and I have to agree with cineoutsider and say it was an awful waste of time due to Jackson laughing like a little kid half the time and repeating lines.
If only Arrow ported the actors commentary, which I remember was good, but I guess I have to dig out the DVD and give it a go again.

Finch

Re: Withnail and I

#87 Post by Finch » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

4K upgrade in June

4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Brand new 4K restoration from the original negative by Arrow Films, supervised and approved by director of photography Peter Hannan
4K (2160p) Ultra HD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
Original lossless mono soundtrack
Optional lossless 5.1 soundtrack
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Audio commentary by writer-director Bruce Robinson
Audio commentary by critic and writer Kevin Jackson, author of the BFI Modern Classic on Withnail & I
All four original Withnail Weekend documentaries, first screened on Channel 4 in 1999, including The Peculiar Memories of Bruce Robinson, which looks at the director’s career, Withnail & Us, which focuses on the film’s making, and two shorter documentaries, I Demand to Have Some Booze and Withnail on the Pier
Interview with production designer Michael Pickwoad
An appreciation of Withnail & I by Sam Bain, co-creator of Peep Show and Fresh Meat
Archival interview with Bruce Robinson
Theatrical trailer
Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring two choices of original artwork
Limited edition 60-page perfect bound book featuring writing on the film by Vic Pratt, Anthony Nield, Martin Jones, Neil Mitchell and Mike Sutton
Double-sided foldout poster featuring two choices of original artwork