Withnail and I

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

What A Disgrace

Withnail and I

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:50 pm

The finest cult film known to humanity!

Camden Town, the arse-end of the sixties. Two struggling, unemployed actors decide some respite is in order and so depart their miserable flat for a week in the Lake District – one that will involve rain, booze, minimal supplies, a randy bull and an even randier Uncle Monty.

Based on the real-life experiences of former actor turned writer/director Bruce Robinson, WITHNAIL and I has become one of British cinema’s most fondly remembered comedies. A cult film in the truest sense that has also become a classic.

Perfectly cast – with career-defining roles for Richard E. Grant, Paul McGann, Richard Griffiths and Ralph Brown – and crammed with irresistibly quotable dialogue, WITHNAIL and I is a sheer delight, even on the umpteenth viewing.

CONTENTS
  • New 2K restoration of WITHNAIL and I from the original camera negative, supervised and approved by director of photography Peter Hannan
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) Presentation
  • Original uncompressed mono 1.0 PCM audios
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Audio commentary by writer-director Bruce Robinson
  • Audio commentary by critic and writer Kevin Jackson, author of the BFI Modern Classic on WITHNAIL and I
  • All four original ‘Withnail Weekend’ documentaries, first screened on Channel 4 in 1999, including The Peculiar Memories of Bruce Robinson, which looks at the director’s career, Withnail & Us, which focuses on the film’s making, and two shorter documentaries, I Demand to Have Some Booze and Withnail on the Pier
  • Newly filmed interview with production designer Michael Pickwoad, who discusses his work on Withnail & I
  • An appreciation of Withnail & I by Sam Bain, co-creator of Peep Show and Fresh Meat
  • Theatrical trailers

TonyleStephanois

Re: Withnail and I

#2 Post by TonyleStephanois » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:50 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:My copy of White of the Eye arrived today, and inside was a card displaying none other than Withnail & I. Is it safe to assume this is in our near future?
That's a safe assumption. A brand new 2K restoration would be another :)

antnield

Withnail & I

#3 Post by antnield » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:41 am

Randall Maysin

Re: Withnail & I

#4 Post by Randall Maysin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:42 pm

I hope they include some sort of extra about the real Withnail, that would be really neat. although maybe Bruce Robinson wouldn't want that

EddieLarkin

#5 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Arrow wrote:As you may already know, we will be announcing our October titles TOMORROW at 11am (UK time).

In the interest of fairness we want to let you know that WITHNAIL AND I will be a limited AND numbered edition with number allocation being assigned live (so the earlier you order the lower your number will be!) but there is a lot more to this puzzle than meets the eye.
Interesting...

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:06 am

Full specs have just gone live:
• New 2K restoration of Withnail & I from the original camera negative, supervised and approved by director of photography Peter Hannan;
• Bruce Robinson’s follow-up feature, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, newly transferred from original film elements and approved by director of photography Peter Hannan;
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD Presentation of both films;
• Original uncompressed mono 1.0 PCM audio for both films;
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing;
• Audio commentary by writer-director Bruce Robinson;
• Audio commentary by critic and writer Kevin Jackson, author of the BFI Modern Classic on Withnail & I;
• All four original ‘Withnail Weekend’ documentaries, first screened on Channel 4 in 1999, including The Peculiar Memories of Bruce Robinson, which looks at the director’s career, Withnail & Us, which focuses on the film’s making, and two shorter documentaries, I Demand to Have Some Booze and Withnail on the Pier;
• Newly filmed interviews with key members of Withnail & I’s behind-the-scenes team;
• Theatrical trailers for both films;
• Exclusive limited edition hardback book packaging (2,000 copies) containing new writing on the films, reprints of key articles on Withnail & I, deleted scenes and more across 200 pages, illustrated with original production stills;
• More to be announced!
...and if you visit the dedicated website, you can order a specially personalised edition.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#7 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:11 am

Nope, it's back.

Dr Amicus

#8 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:32 am

Yup, and I've just bagged number 16 of design 2! Looks a lovely set too. It's a long time since I watched this - I managed to catch it at the cinema in 1989 or 1990 when it made it to the art house cinema in Canterbury - which was conveniently on my university campus. I picked up the last blu UK release for £3 a couple of years ago, but never got round to watching it. I think I can wait a bit longer...

perkizitore

#9 Post by perkizitore » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:56 am

Including shipping costs, this will end up costing me 65 GBP! I couldn't care less about the personalization and different covers and if this edition just featured the book, I would gladly pay around half of what you are asking now. On the other hand it looks tremendous and I cannot wait for the eventual regular release.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#10 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:54 am

The FAQ of the website states that internation shipping should cost only £5. However, I didn't know this when I ordered it just before, and I paid £10 for a shipping to Europe (France).
Something's wrong somewhere.

EDIT : the FAQ has been updated, or I misread it the first time, but it now shows £15 for international shipping. But as I paid only £10, quote still applies : something's wrong somewhere.

perkizitore

#11 Post by perkizitore » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:57 am

It clearly states £15.
Q. I live abroad, can I still order titles from you and how long will they take to arrive?
A. We accept orders worldwide from any country. The cost of international shipping is £15 and delivery time will vary across different countries.

rspaight

#12 Post by rspaight » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:13 am

Holy cow. I was going to wait to see if Criterion brought it back in print now that they seem to have access to Handmade again, but I can't resist this thing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:15 am

This isn't going to be worth as much on the second-hand market after it goes OOP with someone else's name on it!

rspaight

#14 Post by rspaight » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:18 am

Perhaps a clever plan to limit speculative purchases.

EddieLarkin

#15 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:26 am

domino harvey wrote:This isn't going to be worth as much on the second-hand market after it goes OOP with someone else's name on it!
Does it stipulate it must be a proper name? I think I'll just get "The Cunt" on mine, or something similar, if not.

EddieLarkin

#16 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:54 am

I don't see anything about a standard edition but this deluxe edition will be available on Amazon without the personilisation, which I can live without. I'll wait to see what the price is on that.

What A Disgrace

#17 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:57 am

I hope it'll be available on the Arrow site proper, without personalization, cause I have some loyalty points to use.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#18 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:21 am

I don't picture yet how it will be available outside of the Arrow website.
They only spoke of the 2000 limited copies, and have 4x500 through the website. Have I misread how many copies there will be in total ?

EddieLarkin

#19 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:25 am

Yeah I'm not sure I understand it either. The book will be limited to 2000 copies, there are 2000 copies to be personalised, yet Arrow say on their Facebook the book will be available with the retail version.

chatterjees

#20 Post by chatterjees » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:01 am

Is this limited edition going to be in those square boxes as shown?

manicsounds

#21 Post by manicsounds » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:17 am

Is the price listed anywhere?

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:19 am

manicsounds wrote:Is the price listed anywhere?
The personalised limited edition is £49.99 plus postage - that's the only price that's been confirmed so far, although Arrow has said that there'll be other editions at some point.

EddieLarkin

#23 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:52 am

Retail version here. £5 more but you at least don't have to pay up front (and presumably this will be cheaper for international buyers). Not sure yet which to go with...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#24 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:03 am

I like the idea of the different cover and quote options, but I'm not going to buy something that has my name printed on it. Along with never being able to sell it, what if my personalized copy were to arrive with the packaging damaged and I wanted to switch it out for another one? Or what if one day I have to prove in a court of law that I have never owned Withnail & I and this set turns up as evidence? That's a chance I just can't take.

PfR73

#25 Post by PfR73 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:06 am

How are the discs packaged? Are they in a separate case or inside the book?