Discuss TV shows old and new.
Roscoe

Re: Ripley

#26 Post by Roscoe » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:25 pm

untitled wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:54 am
The Curious Sofa wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:52 am
Glad you enjoyed the show, unfortunately, it looks like not enough people are watching this for it to get more seasons:
It's a little odd. It keeps popping up in my socials (probably algo-driven as I read every article I see) so it seems like it's everywhere but I've mentioned to a number of people who I'm surprised haven't even heard of it--people I think would have.

WRT Ripley's age, I had thought starting with an older actor might make sense if there was a plan to film the subsequent novels as he ages as they progress. 5 novels over ~35 years vs a 5-season limited series over 6 or 7.
It's not always clear exactly how much time progresses between the novels. Ripley's 25 years old in TALENTED MR, does that mean he's 60 years old in RIPLEY UNDER WATER?

The Curious Sofa

#27 Post by The Curious Sofa » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:01 pm

untitled wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:54 am

WRT Ripley's age, I had thought starting with an older actor might make sense if there was a plan to film the subsequent novels as he ages as they progress. 5 novels over ~35 years vs a 5-season limited series over 6 or 7.
That is what I thought regarding casting an older actor and when this was still at Showtime the plan was to adapt all the books. Since it moved to Netflix it became a limited series, though if something is a success Netflix will always be happy to do more.

untitled

#28 Post by untitled » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:35 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:25 pm

It's not always clear exactly how much time progresses between the novels. Ripley's 25 years old in TALENTED MR, does that mean he's 60 years old in RIPLEY UNDER WATER?
It's been a long time since I read the last three so I'd had to google which told me he ages from 25 to early 40s across the five books. If that's accurate I suppose you could use a younger actor just as easily. Still, I figured if I'm going to get worked up about how the adaptations vary from the novel, TR's age is way down the list, esp when compared to the plot changes in the Minghella movie.

FWIW, in an odd coincidence, I was scrolling for something to watch last night and stumbled across "The Two Faces of January." Preview said something along the lines of "From the author of TMR..." So I gave it a shot. Pretty decent thriller, really. Viggo M, Oscar Isaac, Kirsten Dunst. A couple surprises: A scene where Viggo is carrying a body down a hall mirrors Ripley carrying Freddie and later, Viggo protecting his suitcases while sleeping on an outdoor bench recalls Ripley at the bus stop. Then, I saw Max Minghella was a producer as the credits rolled.