Tongues Untied

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Calvin

Tongues Untied

#1 Post by Calvin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:24 am

Tongues Untied (DVD + Blu-ray)
Directed by Marlon T Riggs

After its 1989 release and subsequent screening on public television, Tongues Untied polarised critics with its unapologetic portrayal of black gay experience in America. Part documentary, part performance, it was described as the film we have been waiting for by critic Cary Alan Johnson and vilified as a misuse of public funds by right-wing presidential hopeful Pat Buchanan. Such divided opinions were testament to the films lasting impact as a powerful depiction of the ongoing black liberation movement, twinned with devastation of the AIDS crisis. 30 years on, the poetry of Marlon Riggs himself, as well as performances from Essex Hemphill and Brian Freeman, comprise a unique record of a critical historical moment with fierce intelligence, virtuosic rhythm and courageous hope that still stuns today.

Special features

Presentation in High Definition and Standard definition
Anthem (1991, 9 mins): an experimental music video portraying a vibrant, exciting and defiant community of black gay men
Affirmations (1990, 10 mins): featuring the poetry of Essex Hemphill, this is a beautiful short film exploring the dreams, desires and fantasies of black gay men
Non, Je ne regrette rien (1992, 38 mins): a timely and illuminating documentary examining the impact of HIV and AIDS. There's fierce and fascinating insight at every turn, and a classic example of Rigg's formally distinctive style
**FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Fully illustrated booklet with new writing on Tongues Untied and the accompanying short films and full film credits
Other extras TBC

--

Release Date: 16th March 2020

knives

Re: Tongues Untied

#2 Post by knives » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:21 pm

Glad to see this pop up. Riggs is one of the best documentarians of all time despite his short existence. He's probably the only David Holzman styled filmmaker I enjoy because of how beside him the autobiography comes across. There are so many touching moments in Tongues Untied that remain powerful because of their sense as being a historical moment.

senseabove

#3 Post by senseabove » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:12 pm

Really, really happy this is getting a release. My only complaint is that they didn't make it a "Complete Works." All that's left is Black Is... Black Ain't, Ethnic Notions, and Color Adjustments... I might wait a minute to see if someone does something like that in the US. For now, all his works are on Kanopy, if anyone wants to sample them.

It would also have been great to have included Karen Everett's documentary about him, I Shall Not Be Removed: The Life of Marlon Riggs. I saw it a few weeks ago with Everett in person (and Rigg's partner, Jack Vincent, a surprise guest in the audience), and it's a fantastic and moving overview of both his personal and professional life.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:35 pm

BFI Store wrote:Please note that due to unforeseen material issues, we have had to postpone the UK release of Tongues Untied from this coming March to later in 2020. More details to be confirmed as soon as possible. Apologies for any disappointment caused.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#5 Post by tenia » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:43 am

Amazon page was showing a delay to fall 2020 since a few days now.

senseabove

#6 Post by senseabove » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Someone at the other forum says the BFI told them this release is cancelled, and the pre-order appears to have disappeared from the BFI Shop. Shame if that's true. I was really looking forward to this release.

R0lf

#7 Post by R0lf » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:51 am

I asked BFI on Twitter and they confirmed it’s not going ahead:

“Hi, we were really looking forward to releasing Tongues Untied but unfortunately are unable to proceed due to contractual issues 🙁

dwk

#8 Post by dwk » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:57 pm

Someone at the Blu-ray forum mentioned they asked about this on the BFI DVD & Blu-ray group and Ben Stoddart said that he thinks this is getting a Blu-ray in the US. Hopefully that happens.