Scandal

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Scandal

#1 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:34 am

Confirmed for 25 November
Michael Caton-Jones’s Scandal (1989), an acclaimed interpretation of the Profumo scandal starring Joanne Whalley and John Hurt. With a new 4K remaster, it will be presented in a Dual Format Edition giving it a debut Blu-ray release for its 30th Anniversary.

After becoming enchanted by a young exotic dancer, Christine Keeler (Joanne Whalley), an English doctor (John Hurt) invites her to live with him. Through his contacts and parties she and her friend (Bridget Fonda) meet and begin to date various members of the ruling Conservative Party.

When Christine’s affair with the Secretary of State for War John Profumo (Ian McKellen) goes public, scandal tears through the government and threatens the lifestyles and freedom of those involved.

From producer Stephen Woolley and director Michael Caton-Jones (Rob Roy) this 30th Anniversary Edition is newly restored from original film materials.

• Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
• Worldwide Blu-ray debut
• Original theatrical trailer
• **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Fully illustrated booklet with new writing on the film and full film credits
• Other extras TBC

AidanKing

Re: Scandal

#2 Post by AidanKing » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:34 pm

This now appears to have been delayed until February 2020, hopefully to allow time for some extras to be found or created. I am looking forward to seeing it again, particularly as more time has now elapsed since the release of the film than there had been between then and the Profumo affair itself, which is quite chastening. I remember the film seeming to be a very 80s take on the story, particularly with regard to costuming and production design, which is not intended as a criticism, as every interesting film relates to its time of making as well as setting. It also features a really good performance from Joanne Whalley, a very witty one (quite appropriately) from Bridget Fonda and a truly great one from John Hurt, one of his best I think. It also reminds me of the successful parts of 'Absolute Beginners' (for avoidance of doubt, I also intend this as a compliment), which probably isn't surprising given that both films were produced by Stephen Woolley.

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Hopefully they could add the Dusty Springfield and Pet Shop Boys music video Nothing Has Been Proved.

AidanKing

#4 Post by AidanKing » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:46 pm

Yes, that would be a good addition, but there always seems to be a problem with including music videos, doesn't there? Presumably down to the cost of securing the rights, I imagine. Still, at least the song itself plays in full over the end credits, as far as I recall.

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:22 pm

Music videos are often eye-wateringly expensive to license for commercial distribution. The single most expensive item in the BFI's Jan Švankmajer box by some distance was the Hugh Cornwell video, and frankly I only managed to talk the BFI's then Head of Content into it by pointing out that it would buy the right to put the word "complete" on the box (since it's part of Švankmajer's official 26 short-film canon) - I suspect under any other circumstances he'd have said no.

More recently, of course, Derek Jarman's music videos were the major absentees from the BFI's otherwise admirably comprehensive survey.

colinr0380

#6 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:21 pm

AidanKing wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:34 pm
This now appears to have been delayed until February 2020, hopefully to allow time for some extras to be found or created.
I wonder if it has also been delayed because the BBC is due to air a drama based on the Christine Keeler trial at some point over Christmas.

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:36 pm

I seriously doubt that - it makes no marketing sense whatsoever.

Unless of course the BBC has paid the BFI to delay the release, but that sounds a tad unlikely as well.

colinr0380

#8 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Oh no, I'm not suggesting anything untoward, just noting the new version of the story and that perhaps one might increase interest in the other. I guess that it would have had a similar effect the other way around if the BFI disc had come out before the new BBC series.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:52 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:51 pm
Oh no, I'm not suggesting anything untoward, just noting the new version of the story and that perhaps one might increase interest in the other.
But that was my point about marketing: the BFI would have every reason to have it on sale as soon as the publicity for the BBC version starts.

AidanKing

#10 Post by AidanKing » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:15 am

I had thought that there might be a possibility of including the Pet Shop Boys video given that it mainly consists of footage from the film playing behind the Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield and that I imagine that Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe are unlikely to be averse to making it available. However, considering the fact that the Derek Jarman videos for the band were absent from the BFI sets, I now think there's little chance of getting the rights. I suspect if the rights were controlled by the band it might be different, particularly as Neil Tennant contributed to the Thames and Hudson book of Jarman's sketchbooks, but I suppose the rights probably belong to whoever owns Parlophone/EMI now.

AidanKing

#11 Post by AidanKing » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:21 pm

According to the BFI store, it looks as if the Pet Shop Boys video is going to be included, along with extensive interviews with Stephen Woolley and Michael Caton-Jones, a student film by Michael Caton-Jones and a booklet essay by Jane Giles, formerly of the Scala, which all adds up to an exemplary release. It looks as if the delay was definitely worthwhile!

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:01 am

Full specs announced:
Scandal
Directed by Michael Caton-Jones
John Hurt, Joanne Whalley, Bridget Fonda, Ian McKellen

Blu-ray/DVD release on 24 February 2020 with simultaneous release on BFI Player, iTunes and Amazon
See a clip here

Producer Stephen Woolley (Mona Lisa, Carol) and director Michael Caton-Jones’ (Memphis Belle, Our Ladies) account of the 1963 Profumo affair that rocked the British establishment conjures up London on the brink of the Swinging Sixties, where members of high society indulge their baser instincts careless of the consequences. On 24 February 2020 the BFI will bring Scandal to Blu-ray for the first time worldwide, presenting it in a Dual Format Edition (includes DVD). Numerous special features include commentaries by Stephen Woolley and writer Michael Thomas, and by Michael Caton-Jones; interviews, rare short films and more. The film is simultaneously released on BFI Player, iTunes and Amazon.

After becoming enchanted by exotic dancer Christine Keeler (Joanne Whalley), a politically connected doctor Stephen Ward (John Hurt) invites her to live with him. Through his contacts and parties she begins to date Conservative ministers, including Secretary of State for War John Profumo (Ian McKellen). When the affair becomes public, scandal tears through the government and threatens the lifestyles – and even the freedom – of those involved.

Scandal was screened in competition at the Cannes Film Festival in 1989. At the Golden Globes the following year, Bridget Fonda was nominated Best Supporting Actress for her role as Mandy Rice-Davies.

This edition of the film has been newly restored from original materials. It will be launched with a special event at BFI Southbank on Thursday 13 February at 18:40. After a screening of the film in NFT1, there will be an on-stage discussion between director Michael Caton-Jones, producer Stephen Woolley, writer Michael Thomas and executive producer Joe Boyd. More details here.

Special features
• Feature commentary by producer Stephen Woolley and writer Michael Thomas
• Feature commentary by director Michael Caton-Jones
The Minister, the Model & the Russian Spy: Making Scandal (2010, 25 mins): members of the Scandal cast and crew discuss the film
Michael Caton-Jones Remembers Scandal (2019, 27 mins, Blu-ray only): new interview in which the director recalls making the film
Stephen Woolley Remembers Scandal (2019, 40 mins, Blu-ray only): the producer on how he got the film made and the talent he worked with
Nothing Has Been Proved: Official Music Video performed by Dusty Springfield (1989, 5 mins)
Cabaret Girl (1956, 26 mins): documentary on Murray’s Cabaret Club, shot shortly before its owner hired Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies as dancers
The Riveter (1986, 35 mins): short by Michael Caton-Jones, made while he was a student at the National Film and Television School
• Trailer
• Stills gallery
• Illustrated booklet (***first pressing only***) containing essays by Jane Giles and Augustin Macellari, notes on the special features and film credits

Product details
RRP: £22.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1369 / Cert 18
UK / 1989 / colour / 114 mins / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.85:1 // BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 stereo audio 48kHz/24-bit / DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio (192kbps)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#13 Post by tenia » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:26 am

I'm surprised that the BFI final specs / back cover so often leaves out precise tech specs about new masters they're using (here, it's been "newly remastered by the BFI from a 4K scan"). I'd think it's easy to keep this in and might be an interesting technicality to mention.