People on Sunday

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

artfilmfan

Re: People on Sunday

#26 Post by artfilmfan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:22 pm

We might be talking past each other. I think we all agree that the same reconstructed version of the film has been used for the three BRD releases. However, Criterion and German BRD releases used different digitally restored versions (and the Criterion version was not scanned and restored in 2k, correct?). The review of the BFI BRD by Chris Galloway via the link in the Reviews section of this forum indicates that the BFI release used the same restoration that Criterion used for their BRD release (but Chris also mentioned 2k restoration in association with the Criterion release which seems strange, at least to me).

cdnchris
Site Admin

#27 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:32 pm

It's possible I misunderstood or misread the notes. I'll work to clarify/fix that. They're encoded at different frame rates but I can't say they look too different from each other.

artfilmfan

#28 Post by artfilmfan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:34 pm

The back cover of the Criterion BRD release says “high-definition digital restoration”. I looked at the booklet that comes with the Criterion release and it said “this new digital transfer was created from a 35 mm mute print struck from the restoration negative provided by the EYE Film Institute Netherlands. It was scanned in 2K resolution on a Spirit 4K Datacine, played at 24 frames per second, and then digitally converted to the EYE Film Institute’s recommended speed of 22 frames per second.”

Here’s hoping the BFI used the Deutsche Kinemathek restoration. The BFI BRD that I ordered is on its way.