John Waters

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Michael

#26 Post by Michael » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:13 pm

I bought the Waters Christmas CD last year. I listened to it once or twice - very hilarious but I still find it hard wanting to give it another spin this season. I've been listening to Aimee Mann's Christmas CD (just out) nonstop. So gorgeous and chilly.. I love it.

colinr0380

#27 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:54 am

Lino wrote:That said, I really hope someday you'll end up buying the 8 disc set that comes with an amazing bonus disc that is worth the price alone for its sheer amount of info on Waters and the rarity of the materials it collects. I have it and it really is worth it, believe me.
I'd second that! I treated myself for my birthday last year and got it, since I'd only previously seen Hairspray and Pecker before. It was quite an experience (and I'm glad I waited until A Dirty Shame was packaged in the set!) It is a shame about the 1.85 vs original full screen ratio on Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble though.

Hairspray is still my favourite (and my second and third favourites would be the non-included films Cry Baby and Serial Mom), but Female Trouble was fantastic, and the opening sequence of Desperate Living was brilliant - I've never seen someone get so hysterical about such a small event (or at least I haven't seen a similar situation done on film before!), and the way it escalates to the woman and her maid having to go on the run is brilliant! Plus it has a classic death-by-being-sat-on moment!

I'll also always remember Polyester for the scene where the group of juvenile deliquents are driving round bashing various ethnic stereotypes with a broom until they meet their match in Jean Hill, who comandeers a bus and gives chase, bites out the car tyre and then bitch slaps the young punk into submission!

Anonymous

#28 Post by Anonymous » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:39 am

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:The impression I get from Waters is that he kinda hit the wall with Pink Flamingos as for how far he could shock people and smash taboos.
Yeah, PINK FLAMINGOS certainly was his Grand Guignol trash shocker, while FEMALE TROUBLE immediately revealed itself to be his masterpiece, closely followed by DESPERATE LIVING. I also love MULTIPLE MANIACS a lot.

The subversiveness of Waters is what makes him so damn brilliant. As I said, I do prefer his Midnight movies, but I also love his other work.

Lino

#29 Post by Lino » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:33 pm

If you're tired of waiting for official releases of Mondo Trasho and Multiple Maniacs, Brutallo has them and so do I, thanks to them and the copies are not so bad if you don't mind bootleg quality. Actually, I think Waters would approve of this. And seeing that he never wants to release them on DVD ever, these are the best you're gonna get.

Anonymous

#30 Post by Anonymous » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:43 pm

Waters does want these two films to be released, but there are some unresolvable music right problems. Waters said that MULTIPLE MANIACS could be out on DVD once, but the rights issues with MONDO TRASHO seem to be much more complicated.

Anyway, of course Waters would approve of those discs. I bet he himself has bootlegs as well. I got my copies of these films from subcin.com which are very fine.

zombeaner

#31 Post by zombeaner » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:45 pm

I had Multiple Maniacs on DVD, I don't know where it went. I haven't seen Mondo Trasho, nor anything before it. That is my limit. Everything after that I've seen multiple times. That box set is among my most coveted items. I'm just waiting for the right sale to come along so I can snap it up.

KJB2

#32 Post by KJB2 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:30 pm

Waters' commentary on the latest version of Mommie Dearest is priceless. Not a fan of the film, but listening to him made it more than worthwhile.

Lino

#33 Post by Lino » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:11 am

That's one of the main reasons that made me order the new remastered edition of Christmas Evil. His commentaries are worth the price of admission alone.

Anonymous

#34 Post by Anonymous » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:54 pm

The audio commentary on CHRISTMAS EVIL is pure gold. Waters makes the best commentaries in the world, period. I wish they'd release a DVD of BOOM with Waters commentary.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Solaris

#35 Post by Solaris » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:34 am

His commentary for "Homer's Phobia" (one of the best Simpsons episodes, IMO) is terrific too.

I wonder if he'll provide a commentary for the new Hairspray film.....

Lino

#36 Post by Lino » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:11 pm

zombeaner

#37 Post by zombeaner » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:00 pm

I'll hopefully get this from Netflix wednesday.

Lino

#38 Post by Lino » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:23 pm

Watch The Diane Linkletter Story for free here.

Today, I got in the mail his Christmas album and on the back was a sticker indicating that a Valentine themed CD was on the way too! Went googling and here's what I found:

Amazon pre-order, dated February 6, 2007.

Article about it with tracklisting:

[quote]1. Tonight You Belong To Me - Patience & Prudence
2. Jet Boy Jet Girl - Elton Motello
3. Ain't Got No Home - Clarence “Frogmanâ€

colinr0380

#39 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:00 pm

I had a strange piece of synchronicity happen to me over the weekend. This thread inspired me to watch A Dirty Shame again and then later in the evening the film The Sum Of All Fears was shown on television, in which Baltimore is destroyed by a bomb. Now they suggest terrorists in the film but because I was still in the frame of mind of the earlier film I couldn't help feeling this was a strategic attack on John Waters' home town - I couldn't help thinking that couple who had run out of town when the fighting between the neuters and sex maniacs became too intense went to Washington and got a missile launched at Baltimore!

I have to admit to being disappointed in the aftermath of the bomb that Edith Massey didn't appear being carried by her attendants through the rubble a la Desperate Living!

Lino

#40 Post by Lino » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:12 am

This man doesn't stop. Look what he's been up to recently, from Fangoria:
Fango just got ahold of a couple of first photos of cult-fave director John Waters in 'TIL DEATH DO US PART, the matrimonial murder series from Court TV that we initially reported on here. Waters plays the Groom Reaper, your host for this collection of dramatizations of real-life cases that begin with happy weddings and end with one partner slaying the other. Created and helmed by veteran genre director Jeff (SATAN'S LITTLE HELPER) Lieberman, the show applies black humor to the grisly situations—no surprise given both Lieberman and Waters' previous work. The 13-episode, half-hour series premieres January 22 and airs Monday nights thereafter at 10 p.m.

zombeaner

#41 Post by zombeaner » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:09 pm

He mentions this in This Filthy World (which I watched last night). It is very funny, most of the time. The DVD also has a good Q & A. Apparently, if you've seen his one man stage show, you've seen the movie. But I hadn't so it was very entertaining. Just have to wait and see when Netflix releases this for sale.

Fletch F. Fletch

#42 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:33 pm

Film Threat interviews Waters about This Filthy World.

Lino

#43 Post by Lino » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:46 pm

Playboy.com (!) reviews the Netflix available-only disc of Water's This Filthy World. I like the poster, though.

Ok, it's official -- it's the very first time I have the hots for John:

I'm soo buying his new CD! Meanwhile, he participates in yet more documentaries: Fabulous! The Story of Queer Cinema and Thinking XXX.

Can you really keep track of everything this man does? No wonder he takes so long between movies now!

Another Dreamlander gone. I know what I'll be watching tonight.

Michael

#44 Post by Michael » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:04 pm

Boo hoo. You gotta read her My Face For the World to See. I dream of making a movie out of it.

Matt

#45 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:54 pm

I hope Liz is upstairs terrorizing Gerald Ford: "I sleep in the room next to you... naked," with appropriate accompanying boobular movement.

Lino

#46 Post by Lino » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:25 pm

Matt

#47 Post by Matt » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:17 pm

John Waters, in a Q&A at Nerve, talks about why his early films go unseen:
Someone named "Mistress R" asks, "Do you ever plan on releasing your earlier films, such as The Diane Linkletter Story and Eat Your Makeup? They look really cool."

Well, no, because there's music-rights issues. I didn't even know you had to pay for music when I made those movies, and now they would cost so much money that it would be almost impossible. Those movies are closet movies - they stay in my closet, where they're going to have to live.

Fletch F. Fletch

#48 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:57 pm

The Onion A.V. Club asks Waters what's on his iPod.

Lino

#49 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:15 pm

Matt wrote:John Waters, in a Q&A at Nerve, talks about why his early films go unseen:
(...) Those movies are closet movies — they stay in my closet, where they're going to have to live.[/i]
I wish they would come out.

Nice to see that This Filthy World will have a proper DVD release, though.

colinr0380

#50 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:38 pm

Lino wrote:
Matt wrote:John Waters, in a Q&A at Nerve, talks about why his early films go unseen:
(...) Those movies are closet movies — they stay in my closet, where they're going to have to live.[/i]
I wish they would come out.
There is nothing else for it. Lino you are going to have to visit Baltimore, befriend John Waters, and when his back is turned steal these films from his closet and make secret copies that are only to be seen by criterionforum members!