Francis Ford Coppola

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
therewillbeblus

Re: Francis Ford Coppola

#51 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:39 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:58 pm
Some listings say 129 minutes and 139 minutes, but this article suggests it will be around the same runtime of 88 minutes just with a different edit. It also seems like a bunch of adult film actors(?!) who weren't in the first film are listed in this one- so I have no idea what to expect. Hope we hear more concrete news soon.
To add to the uncertainty, these three divergent runtime listings still exist in some places, but BR.com updated theirs to 95 mins, and this new listing drops down to 79 mins. I'm not finding any sources for these changes either. Spooky!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#52 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:55 pm

I caught up with You’re a Big Boy Now and thought it was incredible and better than every film it was clearly influenced by or a contemporary of— if THIS was the voice of youth touchstone film and not the Graduate, the world would make so much more sense. Wild invention at every turn, incredible footage of New York City, off the wall acting choices by slumming big names that somehow all work (and I’ve seen sooooo many bad variations of this kind of element alone that I can appreciate how big of an accomplishment that is), and an authentically youthful outlook all contribute to a product of pure entertainment.

Two additional notes:
01 This film might be responsible for the worst, most clueless collection of Letterboxd reviews I have ever witnessed. Now I know where Yahoo News commenters went
02 Rip Torn in “Daddy” makeup looks like Bruce McCulloch

TechnicolorAcid

#53 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:15 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:55 pm
01 This film might be responsible for the worst, most clueless collection of Letterboxd reviews I have ever witnessed. Now I know where Yahoo News commenters went
I understand your statement but if I may, I raise the Saturday Night Fever Letterboxd page.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#54 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 pm

Megalopolis screened for distributors today in LA, with Deadline reporting that the film runs 133 minutes without credits - in other words, it’s ready for Cannes, should they decide to take it

therewillbeblus

#55 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

That’s exciting, and it’s hard to imagine a reason not to

MichaelB

#56 Post by MichaelB » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 am

Not least because of the possibility that he could be the first filmmaker to win the Palme d’Or three times.

And the mere fact that he’s already done it twice should make him a shoo-in, unless the film is terrible.

The Curious Sofa

#57 Post by The Curious Sofa » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:52 am

I'm not sure I ever saw the 2003 rerelease, so I watched the Reprise cut of One From the Heart last night and for the most part, it doesn't improve the film. Reducing the couple's arguments in the first act doesn't change the fundamental problem of the film: even if we accept that they represent Hollywood archetypes of average schmos, Hank and Frannie aren't very interesting or likable characters, and therefore it's hard to root for them getting back together. Frederic Forrest and Teri Garr were good character actors, but they don't elevate the material, and being a homage to classic Hollywood, maybe this could have done with movie stars in the leads. The new cut creates some awkward transitions and continuity errors, such as a dissolve from one scene to the next which it then cuts away from. Frannie's new perm, a plot point, now comes and goes because a scene before she got the perm has been moved to later in the film. I also miss an early montage sequence that follows Hank's introduction in a scene with Harry Dean Stanton's Moe (also gone), which features a brief cameo by Tom Waits. Considering that the Reprise cut doesn't make Hank and Frannie any more sympathetic, it was better to lean into their confrontations, which makes you understand why they would hook up with other people so quickly. On the other hand, the Reprise cut adds what probably is the most spectacularly beautiful shot in the film: a bird's eye view of the junkyard landscape at dawn, just before Hank and Leila wake up, in a most magical use of matte paintings and special effects.

Despite my reservations, I've always been a fan of the film. I saw it several times in the cinema when it came out and it was my introduction to Tom Waits, the soundtrack being one of my most played albums at the time. I had not watched One From the Heart for at least a couple of decades. If anything, my appreciation of it as an audiovisual experience, and its use of old-school matte paintings and pre-CGI effects, has only increased. Coppola tries to create his own Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans here, two lovers experiencing the city as their romantic playground, with the cities in both films rendered via huge, forced-perspective sets and the use of elaborate scene transitions and special effects. In terms of style, Coppola succeeds spectacularly, even if his film is nowhere near as emotionally resonant as Murnau's, in part because Murnau uses his city (and all its temptations), to get his couple back together, while Coppola's neon dreamscape keeps them apart.

Two things I'd forgotten: while the Tom Waits/Crystal Gale duets and songs are continuous throughout the first act, they are gone from the second. I suppose it makes sense, as the film separates its two leads, but the score is the emotional thread that makes these characters work to some extent. It gives us a glimpse into their inner lives via a novel musical conceit, Coppola's attempt to reinvent the musical for a generation less used to having characters suddenly burst into song to pour out their hearts. The other thing I didn't remember is that Coppola doesn't shy away from showing the studio's ceiling (covered in black drapes), revealing his huge Las Vegas sets to be just that. Somehow it only makes the sets even more impressive, in a breaking of the fourth wall, it draws attention to the artificiality of the film.

I still haven't upgraded to 4K, so I watched the German Blu-ray and it looks spectacular, one reason why my appreciation for the film's audiovisual appeal has only increased. The film now starts with a trigger warning regarding "historical attitudes" (brief nudity? smoking?), reminding me that I had just turned into an adult when depticting such savagery was still permissible.

I also rewatched all three Godfather films a month ago, including for the first time the recut third film and that too didn't feel improved. I preferred the orignal ending, bringing everything full circle.

aox

#58 Post by aox » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:45 pm

I also rewatched all three Godfather films a month ago, including for the first time the recut third film and that too didn't feel improved. I preferred the orignal ending, bringing everything full circle.
I still haven't watched the new cut either because in my mind, though the film has problems, the third-act opera sequence and the ending were perfect. I felt that the last 45 minutes were the only few times III felt kin to the first two films. Of all the scenes to revisit
SpoilerShow
(Michael's death in 1997 alone in a chair)
, that struck me as an odd choice to attempt to augment.

The Curious Sofa

#59 Post by The Curious Sofa » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:15 pm

The film has its moments, even if it's a huge comedown after Part II, but then that's one of the greatest films ever made. I think the intention was to slightly put Part III at a remove from the other two films with the new cut, two of its three major changes are dropping the Lake Tahoe opening, which ties directly into Part II and
SpoilerShow
Michael's Death, which mirrors Vito Corleone's.
I read reviews which made claims for the movie being massively improved when it premiered but if anything, it feels slightly diminished and doesn't address any of its major problems.

Roger Ryan

#60 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:24 pm

The Curious Sofa wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:15 pm
The film has its moments, even if it's a huge comedown after Part II, but then that's one of the greatest films ever made. I think the intention was to slightly put Part III at a remove from the other two films with the new cut, two of its three major changes are dropping the Lake Tahoe opening, which ties directly into Part II and
SpoilerShow
I read reviews which made claims for the movie being massively improved when it premiered but if anything, it feels slightly diminished and doesn't address any of its major problems.
It may not address any of the major problems, but it does address three or four minor ones which frustrated me for years (one is, indeed, that Arte Johnson/"Laugh In" conclusion). That Coppola recognized the same issues and "fixed" them with his re-edit of Part III was satisfying enough that I now consider the re-edit to be the better version of the film. By the way, the third act opera sequence is virtually untouched (as far as I can tell), so no need to worry that Coppola ruined what was working in the original film (only my opinion, of course).

Roscoe

#61 Post by Roscoe » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:37 pm

The Curious Sofa wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:52 am
I'm not sure I ever saw the 2003 rerelease, so I watched the Reprise cut of One From the Heart last night and for the most part, it doesn't improve the film.
Agreed about REPRISE. I'm not sure exactly how many versions have existed of this film, all the way back to the original general release version (which I swear included a scene at the dinner table between Franny and Hank where they each reveal they've spent half of their combined savings -- him on buying the house from Moe, and her in buying the tickets to Bora Bora, culminating in that rather dreadful line of Hank's "trust me honey I know best"). In a classic example of Fixing What Isn't Broken, Coppola's re-ordering the chronology of the break up and reshuffling the scenes adds nothing except confusion over exactly how many days this story is supposed to unfold over, and Franny's now you see it now you don't perm. Are they suddenly flashbacks, or is it Franny/Hank describing the fight and break up to Kazan and Stanton? It's just unnecessary.

I have the UK 4K, and it is a gorgeous transfer, and I'm very glad that it includes the previous cut also in a 4K, mercifully minus Coppola's chronological tampering. Of all the Coppola ReCuts, this one solves the fewest problems of the original product.

aox

#62 Post by aox » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:00 pm

The Curious Sofa wrote:
SpoilerShow
That's so strange to me Coppola would want to distance from 1 and 2. Michael's meeting with the Pope was the original opening scene (now in the middle of the movie). I believe this was edited and included as a deleted scene.
SpoilerShow
It was a perfect mirror of the first film's opening with a local denizen asking for a revenge favor with part II opening with the meeting with the Senator.
Just own it. Then after the Pope's meeting, it went on to the 1979 Party sequence that actually opened the film. This of course is another mirror of the first two films.

EDIT: here it is

Roger Ryan

#63 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:56 am

aox wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:00 pm
The Curious Sofa wrote:
SpoilerShow
That's so strange to me Coppola would want to distance from 1 and 2. Michael's meeting with the Pope was the original opening scene (now in the middle of the movie). I believe this was edited and included as a deleted scene.
SpoilerShow
It was a perfect mirror of the first film's opening with a local denizen asking for a revenge favor with part II opening with the meeting with the Senator.
Just own it. Then after the Pope's meeting, it went on to the 1979 Party sequence that actually opened the film. This of course is another mirror of the first two films.

EDIT: here it is
Coppola's recent re-edit of Godfather III, The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone, does use the meeting with the archbishop (not the Pope, actually) as the opening scene - it's one of the changes that I think improves the film.

The Curious Sofa

#64 Post by The Curious Sofa » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:28 am

That's the third of the three major changes I referred to. I've only seen the film twice, once at its initial release and then a month ago, though watched the first 45 minutes and then I skimmed through my BD of the theatrical cut after watching the Coda cut for comparison (I recently upgraded my box set)

On my first watch, I felt mildly defensive about Part III after it kept getting trashed, as it's not the massive turkey it's often made out to be. But my recent rewatch, as part of my Godfather triple feature diminished the film in my eyes, it suffers when watched directly after the first two and no re-edit can change that.

I'm not as invested in it as I am in the changes to One From the Heart, because for all its flaws, that's a movie I genuinely love. Unfortunately, that's also the last Francis Ford Coppola film I can say that about. I didn't care for the first Joker movie but reports that the sequel supposedly is a homage to One From the Heart have me intrigued.

aox

#65 Post by aox » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:30 am

Roger Ryan wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:56 am

Coppola's recent re-edit of Godfather III, The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone, does use the meeting with the archbishop (not the Pope, actually) as the opening scene - it's one of the changes that I think improves the film.
Thanks for the correction. D'uh on my part.

Now, that is a change I can get behind. I still like the original opera sequence and ending though.

Der Ungrund

#66 Post by Der Ungrund » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:56 pm

The Curious Sofa wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:28 am
I'm not as invested in it as I am in the changes to One From the Heart, because for all its flaws, that's a movie I genuinely love. Unfortunately, that's also the last Francis Ford Coppola film I can say that about. I didn't care for the first Joker movie but reports that the sequel supposedly is a homage to One From the Heart have me intrigued.
There's a lot wrong with Bram Stroker's Dracula, but holy shit is it a gorgeous movie to look at, and I kind of love it, wonky, over the top, performances and all. I only recently saw One From the Heart for the first time, and it reminds me very much of Dracula in terms of its dogged adherence to unnecessary practical effects/sets and its general excess. It was also apparently a huge influence on the art design and approach to practical effects in Poor Things.