Mohammad Rasoulof

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Mohammad Rasoulof

#26 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun May 15, 2022 9:43 am

Rasoulof’s recent posts on social media indicate that Iranian authorities are raiding the offices and homes of other Iranian filmmakers

DarkImbecile

#27 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:31 pm

DarkImbecile

#28 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:50 am

knives

#30 Post by knives » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:12 pm

There is No Evil is an expectedly great film sometimes for unexpected ways. The direct politics, movement through genre, and precise characterization define this as perhaps the best omnibus film ever, but what I found most exciting was how in concert he film was with Iranian cinema make a complex argument about its worth.

The first segment for example is a Kiraostami film punctuating by a startling final shot (if not for Crimson Gold’s similar gut punch I’d say this was anti-Kirastomi) asking Persian’s to not just sing metaphors of pain, but to directly address matters. As great as Iron Island is is it’s worth diluted on account of the mask of metaphor?

Metaphor isn’t the only concern Rasoulof has. Romance and action, really all breed of film, by being engaging become a tool for communicating great ideas while also potentially watering them down. Where is the necessary balance?

I can’t speak for many films better than this, but the third episode in particular does amazing work as a film, as an expression of theme, and as a showing of love.