Claude Lelouch

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Claude Lelouch

#26 Post by tenia » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 am

I don't specifically know for Les Misérables since it's not sold yet, but I have Itinéraire d'un enfant gâté (another Lelouch released by Marco Polo) and it has no subtitles at all (not even a French SDH one). I have a couple of other releases from this collection which, IIRC, also have no subs, so I'd be careful with Les misérables if you need Eng subs.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#27 Post by Caligula » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:38 am

Thanks, Tenia. Unfortunately I'd need the subs. As it is a restored version, here's hoping someone picks it up for release in an English-friendly version.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:36 pm

Was not surprised to see wildly varying reactions to Roman de gare (2007) online after catching up with it, but I thought it did a commendable job of playing with the audience and misleading and withholding information in a way that seemed quite pleasingly puckish and not obnoxious, unlike as in something like the Girl on the Train (based on an actual roman de gare!)— I think this is a bigger feat than its detractors give it. I went in knowing absolutely nothing and was delighted at the cinematic chicanery of it all, though 100000% your mileage may vary

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:08 am

And just when you thought it was safe to praise Lelouch for misleading and withholding information from the audience, along comes Salaud, on t'aime (2014). There is no possible way to ever guess the multitude of ways this film completely shifts and ruins any good will in the last half hour. Like, I am legit stunned-- this is one of the worst last acts to any movie I have ever seen, and it just keeps getting worse and worse as it goes while you sit there, jaw open in disbelief. The set up is not particularly promising-- Johnny Hallyday's doctor/BFF Eddy Mitchell tricks Hallyday's four estranged daughters, each named for the seasons, into coming to visit him on the false premise that he's dying. So we get something akin to the Royal Tenenbaums/the Upside of Anger, with a quartet of jaded daughters arriving and old wounds are prodded and eventually healed etc. Until the film
Major, major spoilers for a film no one will ever seeShow
follows the usual melodramatic outburst of hurt from his daughters by showing Hallyday react by hanging himself from a tree in suicide. This surprised me in a good way, because it reconstituted the film I thought this was into something more interesting-- how novel to make a typical family reunion movie and push it somewhere so dark. Truly, if Lelouch had cut everything in this film from the funeral to the train station epilogue, this would have been a flawed but interesting curiosity and the implications of the act would have resonated on some level.

But Lelouch is a fucking idiot.

Six months later, Michell reveals that in fact Hallyday didn't kill himself, he was murdered and made to look like a suicide. So, the only thing interesting about this movie gets thrown out. He's sure one of the daughters did it and the rest are covering, so he accuses them. They exit the film, justifiably pissed because as we then see, Hallyday was in fact murdered by hunters wanting to use his land. There's also a bank robber completely unrelated to any of this who buys Hallyday's house, just thrown in because there weren't enough characters already.

Oh, and then in the epilogue, Mitchell reveals that Hallyday was dying actually so he didn't lie.
I literally flipped off my TV at the last revelation. If this had been the Lelouch film I saw with him in audience, I would not have hesitated to tell him to fuck off in person

vsski

#30 Post by vsski » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:07 am

Domino - you strike me as someone who watches and likes a lot of French cinema given many of your posts here.

Which would you rank as your favorite Lelouch films?

I have seen most of his 60s movies up to 95’ Les Misérables, but nothing since given that I left Europe then and I have found it hard to see his movies in theaters. I remember liking several of his films, but he typically is not mentioned as often as the Nouvelle Vague gang.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:10 pm

Of the three post-95 Lelouch films I’ve seen, Roman de gare, easily

vsski

#32 Post by vsski » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:58 pm

Thanks - I’ll have to seek that one out.

knives

#34 Post by knives » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:51 pm

Is the version of Love is a Fun y Thing streaming on Tubi a dub? Ten minutes into it everything so far has been in English.