Bernardo Bertolucci

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
ellipsis7

Bertolucci

#26 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Honorary Palme d'Or for Bertolucci @ this year's Cannes just announced...

Ovader

Io e Te

#27 Post by Ovader » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Alan Smithee

Re: Bernardo Bertolucci

#28 Post by Alan Smithee » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:29 am

Bertolucci told Daily Variety that what he loves about 3D is that "it's based on the fact that you look with two eyes; so two cameras imitate that. It's like having a way of seeing things along with the audience."
Not buyin it. With the exception of Cave of Forgotten Dreams I feel like arthouse filmmakers are only doing 3D because the money people have shown them, "Your audience will always be the same amount of people. Shoot it in 3D and we can increase revenues by a third." In the case of people like Soderbergh or Godard they also just like to play in the sandbox. I'm pretty much with Ebert on this. I don't like 3D and I don't want a murky picture when I'm going to the arthouse.

That said. Look forward to seeing this, I thought The Dreamers was one of his best.

Giulio

#29 Post by Giulio » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:54 pm

well it seems he abandoned the 3D after the first week of 'tournage', don't know why but the film won't be in 3D,

this is the most recent news I had visiting the set in Rome last week...

rohmerin

#30 Post by rohmerin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:34 am

B.B was interviewed by Ugo Tognazzi's daughter on her excellent documentary film about her father (Ritratto di mio padre), and I found Bertolucci very, very ill.

Toby Dammit

#31 Post by Toby Dammit » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:46 pm

Two Movies by Bernardo Bertolucci are among the lineup of the Venice Classics section at the 76th Venice Film Festival.

“The Grim Reaper,” dir: Bernardo Bertolucci (Italy, 1962), restored by CSC-Cineteca Nazionale in collaboration with RTI-Mediaset.
https://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/20 ... rim-reaper

“The Spider’s Stratagem,” dir: Bernardo Bertolucci (Italy, 1970), restored by Fondazione Cineteca di Bologna and Massimo Sordella in collaboration with Compass Film.
https://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/20 ... -stratagem

Hopefully Criterion pick them and puts both out on Blu-ray next year!

Altair

#32 Post by Altair » Tue May 21, 2024 6:53 pm

Is there any legal way to see an English-friendly version of The Spider's Stratagem?

feihong

#33 Post by feihong » Tue May 21, 2024 7:01 pm

There was a VHS from New Yorker Video, right?

beamish14

#34 Post by beamish14 » Tue May 21, 2024 7:34 pm

I thought a new print was struck for that large retrospective of his works that toured about 10 years ago? Amazing how his last feature never got any distribution in North America; is it THAT bad?

hearthesilence

#35 Post by hearthesilence » Wed May 22, 2024 12:14 am

I checked with MoMA's 2010 press release, and it does indeed say "all new" prints near the top. Wish they had more info, but I'm guessing everything was still in 35mm then. (FWIW, I used to ask MoMA's film desk before screenings if they were going to show a 35mm print or a DCP, and they always had that info in their system - I forgot when they started to print that info in their program notes, but it might not have been until the late 2010s.)

Really bums me out that I missed almost ALL of these screenings. Took me a second to realize why, but given the date, I was probably away for the holidays. (Which reminds me, there was a Prince residency at MSG around this time, and I think I gave up a ticket for the same reason. It's really annoying when your family has more interest in going to a local Target or buffet then visiting NYC and doing, well, ANYTHING ELSE.)

beamish14

#36 Post by beamish14 » Wed May 22, 2024 1:21 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:14 am
I checked with MoMA's 2010 press release, and it does indeed say "all new" prints near the top. Wish they had more info, but I'm guessing everything was still in 35mm then. (FWIW, I used to ask MoMA's film desk before screenings if they were going to show a 35mm print or a DCP, and they always had that info in their system - I forgot when they started to print that info in their program notes, but it might not have been until the late 2010s.)

Really bums me out that I missed almost ALL of these screenings. Took me a second to realize why, but given the date, I was probably away for the holidays. (Which reminds me, there was a Prince residency at MSG around this time, and I think I gave up a ticket for the same reason. It's really annoying when your family has more interest in going to a local Target or buffet then visiting NYC and doing, well, ANYTHING ELSE.)

I remember being upset over missing many of these when they came to the Hammer. Little Buddha was in 70mm, though, and perhaps it was UCLA’s own print

Altair

#37 Post by Altair » Wed May 22, 2024 3:14 am

feihong wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:01 pm
There was a VHS from New Yorker Video, right?
I was hoping to avoid the VHS! And I remembered from further up in the thread that there had been a restoaration - very odd that it hasn't been released anywhere on BD.

fdm

#38 Post by fdm » Wed May 22, 2024 6:22 am

There are two releases on blu-ray from 2018, though neither is English friendly (one from Germany, one from Japan). Maybe there are subs somewhere?

nicolas

#39 Post by nicolas » Wed May 22, 2024 9:11 am

fdm wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:22 am
There are two releases on blu-ray from 2018, though neither is English friendly (one from Germany, one from Japan). Maybe there are subs somewhere?
Multiple English sub files available here: https://www.opensubtitles.com/de/all/se ... _sources-1

kekid

#40 Post by kekid » Wed May 22, 2024 2:06 pm

The Japanese version of Spider's Stratagem is visually glorious. But I could not fit any of the available English subtitles to it. If I aligned the beginning and the end perfectly, some of the middle parts were out of sync. I essentially use the OPPO feature to bring in the external subtitles and then adjust the syncing using subshifter. This is the only disc where it does not work, because a linear interpolation of subtitles from beginning to end does no fit various parts in the middle. Someone needs to take this Blu Ray and simply create proper English subtitles.

jsteffe

#41 Post by jsteffe » Wed May 22, 2024 6:40 pm

I agree, the restoration on the Japanese Blu-ray is excellent. I rarely buy unsubtitled imports, but this one was worth it. I really hope that someday a distributor in the US or the UK licenses the film.

feihong

#42 Post by feihong » Wed May 22, 2024 7:38 pm

kekid wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:06 pm
The Japanese version of Spider's Stratagem is visually glorious. But I could not fit any of the available English subtitles to it. If I aligned the beginning and the end perfectly, some of the middle parts were out of sync. I essentially use the OPPO feature to bring in the external subtitles and then adjust the syncing using subshifter. This is the only disc where it does not work, because a linear interpolation of subtitles from beginning to end does no fit various parts in the middle. Someone needs to take this Blu Ray and simply create proper English subtitles.
I had this same problem, and I made about 100 different attempts to retime the subs. It makes me think the Japanese disc is a slightly different cut of the movie, since no adjustment allows the subs to completely line up.

senseabove

#43 Post by senseabove » Wed May 22, 2024 7:50 pm

There's a copy on backchannels that has embedded subs (which I haven't watched), and it has no comments complaining about off-sync subs and one comment that seems to acknowledge that subs would need to be retimed for the Japanese dics (and which offers thanks for doing so, though it's unclear whether the person just knew it would be necessary and so thanked the uploader for the assumed labor or actually watched it and saw they were retimed).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#44 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 22, 2024 7:52 pm

I actually just watched it from back channels a few weeks ago and had no problems with the subs (that I can recall)

feihong

#45 Post by feihong » Wed May 22, 2024 9:04 pm

I'll have to check for new subs. Maybe somebody has solved the issue. I've never had that problem with another disc.

kekid

#46 Post by kekid » Wed May 22, 2024 10:25 pm

Is the back channels disc same as the Japanese version?
I got a copy with poor image quality from ebay that had properly synced subtitles.
I am specifically looking for subtitles that match the Japanese version.
If anyone finds it, please let me know. Will be much appreciated.

furbicide

#47 Post by furbicide » Wed May 22, 2024 11:19 pm

I had this problem too except with the Spanish DVD – really couldn't get the timings right with the subs on the Oppo player no matter what I tried. I wonder if all these versions on disc have the same cut of the film.

feihong

#48 Post by feihong » Wed May 22, 2024 11:45 pm

The Japanese bluray has much more saturated colors, I think. Very beautiful image quality.

senseabove

#49 Post by senseabove » Thu May 23, 2024 2:01 am

kekid wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:25 pm
Is the back channels disc same as the Japanese version?
Ostensibly, yes.

fdm

#50 Post by fdm » Thu May 23, 2024 5:46 am

Failing having those back channels handy, the German one is out there too with English subs (in Italian).