The Music Video Mini-List

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Re: The Music Video Mini-List

#76 Post by ando » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:25 am

I loved Madonna but she was not the greatest of the MTV era. Admired her stuff. Human Nature is my favorite. Vogue Image is an embarrassment. And Material Girl is the epitome of revamped mediocrity. Her videos did improve considerably over time.
Black Hat wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:11 am
And to cap things tonight, coming in with the most unforgettable entrance ever put on film is the one, the only ...
:lol: thanks.

No long intro here: it was just the first video I thought of when I saw the topic thread. Top Ten in my list, probably.
Take On Me, a-ha (1985, Steve Barron)

colinr0380

#77 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:01 am

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:45 pm
I’m more of a S U N D A Y S C H O O L or F E E L I N’ F I N E guy myself. Speaking of Vaporwave, probably worth considering the seminal example, Saint Pepsi Private Caller
Those are fantastic! I think the other Lucien Hughes Simpsonwave video that is particularly good is C R I S I S!

Thnaks for the great list soundchaser! I'm definitely going to be voting for Sledgehammer and probably Money For Nothing almost entirely because of the video being so iconic (though it will be lower down than Take On Me!).

Maybe also that Michael Jackson video Leave Me Alone because I remember finding it slightly terrifying as a kid (especially the gnashing teeth part!) and liked the Gulliver allusions of the amusement park being built up and elaborated upon around the man himself whilst he is yoked down underpinning it. Remember the time when the world thought the most weird thing about Michael Jackson was that he had an uncomfortably close relationship with a pet chimp called Bubbles? I seem to remember a lot of those music videos of the time were part of that Moonwalker film along with Smooth Criminal (with Joe Pesci!) and the great Claymation animated escape from crowds of (demonic?) fans Speed Demon. All of those videos felt like a kind of unfiltered look into Jackson's psyche, which made Jackson feel quite touchingly vulnerable in a way. Maybe that's why fans got so protective of him?

Though in Moonwalker transforming into a giant silver spacecraft and the already uncomfortable fixation on being adored by children let alone having an entire film dedicated to a singer's ego, no matter how troubled, with everything and everyone else subordinate to it, were already there and felt self-aggrandising even then.

Many of his videos are about him railing against the shackles of expectations and fame, literally becoming larger than life in an attempt to grow above it all, and in Leave Me Alone he destroys the amusement park that has been made of his life to stand tall and liberated. But of course in reality he never escaped and eventually the amusement park seeped into real life as well (or was always there from the beginning), so the music videos began to become shriller (I'm thinking of Scream especially) as they recover the same ground of just wanting to be left the hell alone over and over again. That is before we reach the stunning song Morphine on the Blood On The Dance Floor album, which with its Elephant Man quotations is difficult not to see as Jackson acknowledging the addiction that eventually killed him, and damningly how it was enabled/pushed by his entourage.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:24 am, edited 9 times in total.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#78 Post by ando » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:08 am

On the R&B tip,

Honey, Erykah Badu (2008, Badu, Chris Robinson)

The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly), Missy Elliott (1997, Hype Williams)

Earth Song, Michael Jackson (1996, Nick Brandt)

Erykah for Rekka Sto nostalgia. :)
Missy for just being Missy.
Mike for, well, what we're living through right now.

Feego

#79 Post by Feego » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:40 am

Black Hat wrote:
You'd be hard pressed to find a video with a higher approval rating than George Michael's Freedom, simply the epitome of cool. Groundbreaking, visionary and responsible for igniting the careers of the most interesting collection of supermodels in the history of fashion. In the context of Michael's career the video was hugely important as it completed his rejection of the teen heartthrob image. I think in 2019 people tend to overlook how great an artist George Michael was and how much artists like him are missed. I'd also throw in the video for "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" as music videos as live performance were simply not done at the time and thanks to it, the tune became his signature song. Also smart this was done with Elton John and as great as John is, Michael, blew him off the stage — thus for the first time forcing critics to recognize his brilliance.
Freedom '90 is a lock for my number one spot. It's another David Fincher video, and the "slick hollowness" that Mr. Sausage mentions above works beautifully with what Michael was trying to say. The leaky, dilapidated house occupied by impossibly gorgeous people anticipates the ever rainy city in Se7en, occupied by Brad Pitt and Gwyneth Paltrow. All of these pretty faces mime the words but without Michael's conviction. It's easy enough to ignore his message and just focus on the sexiness of it, but it becomes all the more striking when you pay attention to the lyrics.

ando wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:25 am
I loved Madonna but she was not the greatest of the MTV era. Admired her stuff. Human Nature is my favorite. Vogue Image is an embarrassment. And Material Girl is the epitome of revamped mediocrity. Her videos did improve considerably over time.
I'll second Human Nature, also my pick for her best video.
Last edited by Feego on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Hat

#80 Post by Black Hat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:58 pm

ando wrote:
I find it perplexing you feel the way you do about Vogue, but have its sequel as your favorite.

More interestingly if not Madonna, who else can make a case for greatest of the MTV era? To me it's between her and Michael. Now he was the only one of that era whose new videos were events (GnR had a briefly similar run) so maybe that puts him over the top, but to me Jackson was a superstar before MTV and would have been one regardless. Madonna on the other hand I don't think becomes a phenomenon without her videos, beginning with Material Girl and going supernova with Like a Prayer.
Feego wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:40 am
Freedom '90 is a lock for my number one spot. It's another David Fincher video, and the "slick hollowness" that Mr. Sausage mentions above works beautifully with what Michael was trying to say. The leaky, dilapidated house occupied by impossibly gorgeous people anticipates the ever rainy city in <b>Se7en</b>, occupied by Brad Pitt and Gwyneth Paltrow. All of these pretty faces mime the words but without Michael's conviction. It's easy enough to ignore his message and just focus on the sexiness of it, but it becomes all the more striking when you pay attention to the lyrics.
No idea this was a Fincher video, but it makes so much sense, thanks for that.

knives

#81 Post by knives » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:23 pm

Jackson was also doing videos before and without MTV. It's important to remember they wouldn't show his videos, probably also why he lost, because his music wasn't 'rock' i.e. white.

flyonthewall2983

#82 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:28 pm

Interesting to think of this in terms of how successful would they have been without MTV. Jackson might have gone on through the 80's with continued success as a recording artist, but maybe not in terms of how absolutely huge he became in the decade. George Michael would have broken through in a similar way because of his natural musical talent anyway. I will not say Madonna didn't have that at all, but it was a career that was primarily made through the visual medium, and the way one can grab as much attention through that as she did.

brundlefly

#83 Post by brundlefly » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:33 pm

zedz wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:55 pm

I've already accumulated a bunch of complicated single-take videos I'm tempted to include, so here's A Brief History of One-Shot Videos. Add your favourites!
Though the Cibo Matto's a close second (for all its mood and mystery, kinda takes a backseat to the song's appearance on 'Buffy'), my favorite Gondry one-take is still "Lucas with a Lid Off." Maybe because, like the song's easy, busy flow, it manages to hit all its exhausting marks and still feel a little loose, or because the screens-within-screens complement the way the song drops in its elements. Or maybe just because it's the first one I recall seeing. I worked at a commercial production house when it came out, and when someone brought it in we lost a half a day watching that on repeat. The only other music video that caused as much commotion there was the unedited version of Romanek and NIN's "Closer" (which isn't as good as the edited version.)

Those aching to get Paul Thomas Anderson in here could consider Michael Penn's "Try." As far as walk-and-sings go, a lot more fun and a lot fewer edits than "Daydreaming." (My favorite Penn song got a Brothers Quay video. It's not single-take, and wouldn't make my list, but still -- a Brothers Quay video.)

My all-time favorite one-take video is The Geraldine Fibbers' "California Tuffy," which I think was directed by Carla Bozulich. The quality of that version on YouTube is terrible, which is a shame -- though not inappropriate for something that captures the whirligig energy of a bunch of talented kids killing time and making art in a basement with a handful of puppets, a box of matches, and some furniture dollies. It's defiant, insistent fun, and there's something in watching Nels Cline guitar-sync a solo on an instrument with a broken neck that perfectly duct-tapes destruction and creation together.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#84 Post by ando » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:05 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:58 pm
ando wrote:
I find it perplexing you feel the way you do about Vogue, but have its sequel as your favorite.
Human Nature, a sequel to Vogue? Nah, it's a stand alone track to me. Though I did read this:

Human Nature" can be looked at as an unintentional sequel to 1989's "Express Yourself", due to its liberating theme. It became a feminist anthem of sorts. It's safe to say it has influenced various female artists who have looked to Madonna's legacy, with songs from the past decade like Christina Aguilera's "Can't Hold Us Down", Britney Spears' "Piece Of Me" and Beyoncé's "Flawless". - Bianca Gracie

Really, it was more a reaction to the reception of her book, Sex. The video is fairly original in look and composition. Can't think of many in that era where the choreography alone was the highlight - and feature - of the video.
Last edited by ando on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#85 Post by ando » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:22 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:58 pm
More interestingly if not Madonna, who else can make a case for greatest of the MTV era? To me it's between her and Michael. Now he was the only one of that era whose new videos were events (GnR had a briefly similar run) so maybe that puts him over the top, but to me Jackson was a superstar before MTV and would have been one regardless. Madonna on the other hand I don't think becomes a phenomenon without her videos, beginning with Material Girl and going supernova with Like a Prayer.
Madonna, next to Mike, was the most pervasive music video presence, but for the most part, her videos didn't change the game the way that Mike's videos did. I always think of great art as work that changes the way people consider the subject considered or the manner in which it's presented. Can't say she falls into that category. But, in retrospect, perhaps Mike doesn't, either.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#86 Post by ando » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:31 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:28 pm
Interesting to think of this in terms of how successful would they have been without MTV. Jackson might have gone on through the 80's with continued success as a recording artist, but maybe not in terms of how absolutely huge he became in the decade. George Michael would have broken through in a similar way because of his natural musical talent anyway. I will not say Madonna didn't have that at all, but it was a career that was primarily made through the visual medium, and the way one can grab as much attention through that as she did.
Perhaps, but as savvy as she was/is she'd have taken advantage of whatever medium was at the vanguard of popular musical expression. I bought her debut album, Madonna, long before I saw her first video. Holiday and Everybody were dance and club hits which didn't require visuals to be successful. Once she did videos for Borderline and Lucky Star, however, the album quadrupled in sales.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#87 Post by ando » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:40 am

More from the MTV era is a classic from Frankie...

Two Tribes Frankie Goes To Hollywood (1984, Goldey & Creme)

Reagan and Chernenko wrestle to the death (of the world), refereed (?) by lead singer, Holly Johnson. Wry and unforgettable. A few versions of the original are still in circulation though even the original was edited by MTV (initially) for... reasons only they know.

MTV's first 90 video rotation included this classic that was the best of the downtown New York City music scene at the time - punk rock & hip hop:

Rapture, Blondy (1981, no director listed)

Not much happens in this odd, seemingly first take walk down a street on the Lower East Side with Debbie Harry and a dressed up William Barnes, who attempts to provide some color for the absent Grandmaster Flash (a clueless-looking Basquiat fills in :lol: ) who didn't show up for the shoot. Quirky time capsule. Great song. Silly rap. Classic.

Whoever thought jazz pianist and composer, Herbie Hancock, would have a video on MTV? Despite the arty concept Hancock does make an appearance on a TV monitor with one of the funkiest and most innovative videos in their rotation :

Rockit, Herbie Hancock (1983, Godley & Creme!)

Ok, pre-MTV faves: without a doubt, Cheech & Chong's parody of the hit Love Jones really became its own thing with the video which was shown before main features initially in '73 and again in '76. I seem to remember it from the Hal Ashby film, Being There, which makes sense since it premiered alongside his '73 film, The Last Detail:

Basketball Jones, Cheech & Chong (1973, Paul Gruwell)

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#88 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:50 am

Ahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs9V0q7wMfg
Ain't Nobody Chaka Khan

Black Hat

#89 Post by Black Hat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:34 am

ando wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:05 pm
Human Nature, a sequel to Vogue? Nah, it's a stand alone track to me. Though I did read this:

Really, it was more a reaction to the reception of her book, Sex. The video is fairly original in look and composition. Can't think of many in that era where the choreography alone was the highlight - and feature - of the video.
Ando, my man it seems like you really can't stand Vogue because it's a great example of that and what I meant when I called Human Nature its sequel, the dance move, how they're shot and cut together are reminiscent.

ando wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:22 pm
Madonna, next to Mike, was the most pervasive music video presence, but for the most part, her videos didn't change the game the way that Mike's videos did. I always think of great art as work that changes the way people consider the subject considered or the manner in which it's presented. Can't say she falls into that category. But, in retrospect, perhaps Mike doesn't, either.
Jackson certainly does and I'm not sure how you can deny how Madonna changed everything with how she pushed the boundaries of sexuality as well as queerness and even blackness.

ando wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:31 pm
Perhaps, but as savvy as she was/is she'd have taken advantage of whatever medium was at the vanguard of popular musical expression. I bought her debut album, Madonna, long before I saw her first video. Holiday and Everybody were dance and club hits which didn't require visuals to be successful. Once she did videos for Borderline and Lucky Star, however, the album quadrupled in sales.
I'm not sure what your argument here is as you seem to be contradicting yourself. As you know having a club hit was in no way relevant or indicative of mainstream success.

Black Hat

#90 Post by Black Hat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:36 am

ando wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:40 am
MTV's first 90 video rotation included this classic that was the best of the downtown New York City music scene at the time - punk rock & hip hop:

Rapture, Blondy (1981, no director listed)

Not much happens in this odd, seemingly first take walk down a street on the Lower East Side with Debbie Harry and a dressed up William Barnes, who attempts to provide some color for the absent Grandmaster Flash (a clueless-looking Basquiat fills in :lol: ) who didn't show up for the shoot. Quirky time capsule. Great song. Silly rap. Classic.
This is a big one, first time really that MTV had black people on it.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#91 Post by ando » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:52 am

Black Hat wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:34 am
ando wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:05 pm

Ando, my man it seems like you really can't stand Vogue because it's a great example of that and what I meant when I called Human Nature its sequel, the dance move, how they're shot and cut together are reminiscent.
No. That is not voguing. Not even close. I wouldn't even call the weak choreography on the Vogue video voguing. Check the history. Then come back and attempt to instruct me.
Black Hat wrote:
ando wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:22 pm
Jackson certainly does and I'm not sure how you can deny how Madonna changed everything with how she pushed the boundaries of sexuality as well as queerness and even blackness.
Madonna didn't change shit.
Black Hat wrote:
ando wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:31 pm
I'm not sure what your argument here is as you seem to be contradicting yourself. As you know having a club hit was in no way relevant or indicative of mainstream success.
So what? The point is mainstream success was what she was after. And she'd have probably succeeded regardless of medium in which she had to work.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#92 Post by ando » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:42 am

I can't deny the influence of the 1956 feature of young Elvis Presley with Hound Dog. Like Madonna he became a national icon through the medium. He didn't change the music or the medium, fundamentally, but brought the music to the forefront of the world's consciousness. And like Madonna - brought Elvis - to everyone's attention. Perhaps there is no definitive tv appearance (performance video) that engrained his image but this one is certainly typical of what we tend to recall:

Hound Dog, Elvis Presley (1956)

Going back a bit further is one of the earliest known film appearances of Louis Armstrong singing Dinah. Not sure if it meets the qualifications and/or if it was actually a live performance though it was certainly filmed to showcase Pops and his band for a record released some three years earlier. Recorded and performed dozens of times before he touched it, Armstrong's 1933 version of Dinah became iconic in his hands. And by now the film is a treasure.

Dinah, Louis Armstrong (1933)

colinr0380

#93 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:40 am

Black Hat wrote:
Madonna is well Madonna, the greatest of the MTV era and really should be ineligible because you can pick so many, but I'll take Bedtime Story.
I'll go for the other great Madonna video directed by Mark Romanek then: Rain, with Ryuichi Sakamoto in an acting role, looking on at her performance! Its like the polar aesthetic opposite of the Fiona Apple Criminal video! (Harris Savides was cinematographer on all three)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#94 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:54 am

I think Madonna’s appeal as a sex symbol and self-furthered controversy magnet relied heavily on the music video format and media coverage of same, but I must confess she does little for me in any respect, including her videos

Elvis may be inarguably influential, but he’s not eligible for this project

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#95 Post by ando » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:57 am

Not sure how much of the dance performance in Footloose was actually by Kevin Bacon but it's another one of my faves from the early MTV era:

Footloose, Kenny Logging (1984, Bryan Grant)

Couldn't avoid this one in '83 and deservedly so. Never understood the chewing cows (corporations regurgitating partially digested material - like cud - for mass consumption??) but Annie and Dave were certainly a great music and conceptual duo.

Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These), The Eurythmics (1983, Chris Ashbrook)

Black Hat

#96 Post by Black Hat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:34 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:54 am
I think Madonna’s appeal as a sex symbol and self-furthered controversy magnet relied heavily on the music video format and media coverage of same
Precisely this.

Ando, I'm still perplexed at how you can argue otherwise or that she "didn't change shit", but I'd love to see you make that case.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#97 Post by ando » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:46 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:34 pm
domino harvey wrote:
I think Madonna’s appeal as a sex symbol and self-furthered controversy magnet relied heavily on the music video format and media coverage of same
Precisely this.

Ando, I'm still perplexed at how you can argue otherwise or that she "didn't change shit", but I'd love to see you make that case.
Oh no, you made the ridiculous claim about Madonna changing perceptions of women, gayness and blackness. YOU do the work.

Black Hat

#98 Post by Black Hat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Hello has to be the greatest example of 80s cocaine is a helluva drug narcissism. In this video that played constantly on MTV you have Lionel Richie playing a teacher openly stalking one of his students around the school. Everywhere she goes Lionel follows her, down the hall, in the cafeteria, dance class and at one point the motherfucker even pops out from behind the door and almost every time he does he sings "hello". Unbelievably the girl Richie follows is blind and he sings "I can see it in your eyes"!!!! This video is so batshit that one point the girl's in bed reading brail until the phone rings and of course its Richie saying "Hello". If all this wasn't enough the madness ends with this blind woman having made a horrendous sculpture of Richie's head. God bless that guy man, may we all one day love ourselves as much as he did in 1984.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#99 Post by ando » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:56 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:48 pm
Hello has to be the greatest example of 80s cocaine is a helluva drug narcissism. In this video that played constantly on MTV you have Lionel Richie playing a teacher openly stalking one of his students around the school. Everywhere she goes Lionel follows her, down the hall, in the cafeteria, dance class and at one point the motherfucker even pops out from behind the door and almost every time he does he sings "hello". Unbelievably the girl Richie follows is blind and he sings "I can see it in your eyes"!!!! This video is so batshit that one point the girl's in bed reading brail until the phone rings and of course its Richie saying "Hello". If all this wasn't enough the madness ends with this blind woman having made a horrendous sculpture of Richie's head. God bless that guy man, may we all one day love ourselves as much as he did in 1984.
:lol: spot on. Always thought it as a bit creepy.

Black Hat

#100 Post by Black Hat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:59 pm

ando wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:46 pm
Black Hat wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:34 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Precisely this.

Oh no, you made the ridiculous claim about Madonna changing perceptions of women, gayness and blackness. YOU do the work.
Ridiculous??? Really dude??? She was one of the first A list popstars to include LGBT performers. One of the first to speak up for LGBT rights at a time where doing so was considered to be a great risk. The video for Like a Prayer which had her and Leon in an interracial tryst was hugely controversial, also at a time where an interracial kiss was rarely if ever allowed on tv and her contribution to female empowerment is obvious. It's beginning to feel like you just don't like Madonna because I don't see how you can deny these things.