Criterion & Eclipse in the Press

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
arsonfilms

#26 Post by arsonfilms » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:29 pm

I noticed a brief little piece in the new issue of Filmmaker Magazine that mentioned that "while Eclipse is currently focusing on individual Directors," upcoming releases would include boxes dedicated to Samurai films and the French New Wave. If I get a chance I'll retype the thing, but that little tidbit was the only bit of news.

Matt

#27 Post by Matt » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Here's an article from Gizmodo about Criterion's digital restoration process, WITH PICTURES!

Here's a couple of interesting snippets:
What about films they've already restored for DVD? Can they just be released on Blu-ray without much extra effort? Unfortunately, not usually. The good news is that once they've done their tape master, they have a high-def copy of it on hand and don't need to re-transfer the original print. The bad news is that once they got those masters, half of the process needs to be done again because the original restorations were just done in standard definition. Making a quick rerelease of all of Criterion's films to Blu-ray something that just isn't going to happen.
They plan to release two films a month in Blu-ray next year, with HD releases ramping up as sales shift from DVD to Blu-ray.

HerrSchreck

#28 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:31 pm

Really, the mission of Criterion is "trying to replicate the original experience of seeing that movie when it was first released," according to Phillips.

That is, unless the director wants that original look changed.

Matt

#29 Post by Matt » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:40 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:
Really, the mission of Criterion is "trying to replicate the original experience of seeing that movie when it was first released," according to Phillips.

That is, unless the director wants that original look changed.
Or unless Criterion just doesn't like the look of 1950s Fuji color stock.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#30 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:14 pm

Matt wrote:Or unless Criterion just doesn't like the look of 1950s Fuji color stock.
Or Agfa color stock.

jon

#31 Post by jon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:28 pm

Gizmodo has a followup article about Criterion and their potential future with digital distribution.

HelenLawson

#32 Post by HelenLawson » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:48 pm

We're pretty close to figuring out what we want to do with downloading, and I think our new website will cover that, which you'll see in a few months
Well, that's pretty intriguing news. I wonder if that means new branding as well?

HerrSchreck

#33 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:40 pm

Hey, maybe they'll start changing their logo/capital-C quarterly or even monthly! :roll:

Perkins Cobb

#34 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:55 pm

Basically, they're just going to let everyone download Border Radio for free.

kaujot

#35 Post by kaujot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:26 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Basically, they're just going to let everyone download Border Radio for free.
I used to think Border Radio jokes would get old, but they haven't.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Basically, they're just going to let everyone download Border Radio for free.
At least Criterion won't have to buy any additional bandwidth

Antoine Doinel

Re: Criterion & Eclipse in the Press

#37 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:43 pm

A non-article about Criterion and where they're going next that amounts to the journalistic equivalent of shrugging your shoulders. Not surprisingly, it's from the Guardian. The writer doesn't even bother mentioning (or seem to even know) that they've relaunched their website.

Narshty

#38 Post by Narshty » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:A non-article about Criterion and where they're going next that amounts to the journalistic equivalent of shrugging your shoulders. Not surprisingly, it's from the Guardian. The writer doesn't even bother mentioning (or seem to even know) that they've relaunched their website.
Really? That's the main thing he talks about for the first couple of paragraphs and refers to their "Online Cinematheque" further down. But a waste of time nonetheless.

Antoine Doinel

#39 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:16 pm

:oops: My brain tends to the short circuit whenever reading the Guardian film blogs.

Narshty

#40 Post by Narshty » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:17 pm

Well, whose brain wouldn't collapse en route to the end of that article?

Antoine Doinel

#41 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:13 pm

Glenn Kenny writes about classic films on HD for Popular Mechanics and it includes a visit to Criterion's headquarters.

tavernier

#42 Post by tavernier » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:58 pm

Popular Mechanics

My favorite cinematic periodical.

foggy eyes

#43 Post by foggy eyes » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:38 am

The founder of The Auteurs, Efe Cakarel, talks about their relationship with Criterion in the new issue of Film Comment.

foggy eyes

#44 Post by foggy eyes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:23 am

cshe

#45 Post by cshe » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Perhaps Adrian Martin should stick to the Ghostbusters references and leave Walter Benjamin to those who understand his concepts.

Matt

#46 Post by Matt » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:31 pm

That link is broken now, but here's the Google cache (for now).

ellipsis7

#47 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:36 am

Peter Becker in current ish of Film Ireland! Will try and look out the mag as this just an extract to see if any nuggets of new info lie therein...

...Yes, flicked through it, nothing fresh in terms of specific titles, just a nice colour piece describing CC's philosophy, practices and the online streaming initiative...

exte

#49 Post by exte » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:06 am

Blast from the past! That's going back to the future alright in good old 1985. Anyway, just wanted to point out that the King Kong LD was the first ever "lecture track" released for laserdisc. Here are the first words ever spoken:
"Hello ladies and gentlemen, I'm Ronald Haver, and I'm here to do something which we feel is rather unique. I'm going to take you on a lecture tour of King Kong as you watch the film. The laserdisc technology offers us this opportunity and we feel it's rather unique - the ability to switch back and forth between the soundtrack and this lecture track..."

Antoine Doinel

#50 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:15 pm

An interview with Peter Becker conducted by a couple of guys from The Digital Bits will appear in the March 2009 issue of Geek Monthly.