Criterion U.K.

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Criterion U.K.

#526 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:10 pm

MOC released the Last Command, though Criterion seems to do whatever the fuck they want in the UK so long as animals aren’t involved

HJackson

#527 Post by HJackson » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:25 pm

Is there any rhyme or reason to when HMV has done the 2 for £25 deals in the past? A few UK released titles I’ve been wanting to grab for a while but don’t want to feel like an utter mug...

mistakaninja

#528 Post by mistakaninja » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:27 pm

I suspect the 2 for 25 deals are a thing of the past, being replaced by the individual title 9.99 offers that pop up on Zoom and at HMV now.

rapta

#529 Post by rapta » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:48 pm

mistakaninja wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:27 pm
I suspect the 2 for 25 deals are a thing of the past, being replaced by the individual title 9.99 offers that pop up on Zoom and at HMV now.
Which is incredibly tiresome when you already own most of the UK titles. These £9.99 titles have all been in the 2 for £25 offers in the past, so unless you didn't bother picking those up before now there's not much to choose from.

Billy Beta

#530 Post by Billy Beta » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:04 pm

HJackson wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:25 pm
Is there any rhyme or reason to when HMV has done the 2 for £25 deals in the past? A few UK released titles I’ve been wanting to grab for a while but don’t want to feel like an utter mug...
I was literally going to ask about this just now. I thought I'd pick up some of the £17.99 Blu's I've wanted for awhile in one of these sales. Such a pain.

Where are the £9.99 sales appearing at?

phoenix474

#531 Post by phoenix474 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:39 pm

Billy Beta wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:04 pm
HJackson wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:25 pm
I was literally going to ask about this just now. I thought I'd pick up some of the £17.99 Blu's I've wanted for awhile in one of these sales. Such a pain.

Where are the £9.99 sales appearing at?
Zoom does them for a weekend occasionally and Amazon price matches. I think Zavvi might too? I got Tootsie from Zoom a few weeks back

eerik

#532 Post by eerik » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:43 am

Amazon finally cancelled my order for War and Peace. I was already starting to hope they would somehow send me the US release, but no luck.

dwk

#533 Post by dwk » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 am

November's UK releases:
Godzilla - The Showa Era
Palm Beach Story
Moonrise Kingdom

HJackson

#534 Post by HJackson » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:09 am

Glad to see Palm Beach Story get ported over since that Arrow Sturges set isn't going to happen. A film I enjoy a great deal but I'd never pay to have it shipped over as a Crit from the US, for whatever reason.

dwk

#535 Post by dwk » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:20 pm

December's UK releases:
On the Waterfront
Now, Voyager
La Jetée/San Soleil

TMDaines

#536 Post by TMDaines » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:15 am

Definitely going for two of those. Maybe three. Glad I don't need to import On the Waterfront and see it get bashed up crossing the Atlantic. The price will be interesting. Hopefully it is priced like the Jan Troell double and we can get it for £15 down the line.

rockysds

#537 Post by rockysds » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:31 am

January:
Holiday
Sansho the Bailiff
Being There

TMDaines

#538 Post by TMDaines » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:23 am

In for Holiday(s). Any reason we didn't get All About Eve?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#539 Post by cdnchris » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:26 am

Since it is a Fox film I think it's very likely another label has it.

rapta

#540 Post by rapta » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:14 pm

February titles:

Fail Safe
The Essential Jacques Demy
Roma

I imagine the Demy set may get cancelled when Sony DADC realise BFI own the rights to Les Demoiselles de Rochefort - and literally released it two Mondays ago - but it was nice to consider another Criterion box set to make it over here, however briefly. Hopefully if Criterion have indeed managed to sort out a deal with StudioCanal for UK licensing, then they will replace any cancelled set with a standalone release of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg at the very least.

Fail Safe is a probable pre-order from me as it's a Lumet I've been meaning to see for years now, and Roma is good news but a shame it's another £25.99 digipack title (I will definitely grab it eventually though).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#541 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:48 am

Quite incredible to see them announcing the Demy set so little time after the Rochefort BFI release. How hard is it to just pay attention to that ?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#542 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:56 pm

I'll just quote what I said a few years ago in this very thread
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:55 am
If Criterion is actively trying to release titles already out in that territory from another boutique label, they're basically the nerd mafia. "That's a nice Blu-ray you have there. It would be a shame if someone else were to release it"
Where's the Boutique Label Eliot Ness?

rapta

#543 Post by rapta » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:32 pm

tenia wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:48 am
Quite incredible to see them announcing the Demy set so little time after the Rochefort BFI release. How hard is it to just pay attention to that ?
I have just noticed that the BFI are releasing The Umbrellas of Cherbourg theatrically with help from Janus Films...so maybe they are allowing Criterion to release Rochefort as a box set only deal? Seems a bit unlikely though. I may contact BFI to see what they say before we start speculating too much (that's if the release doesn't start disappearing from all the retailer sites; as happened previously with WAR AND PEACE, ANDREI RUBLEV and A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH).

Calvin

#544 Post by Calvin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:20 pm

The BFI are looking into it; whether or not the Criterion release can proceed based on the existing licence agreements I guess we'll find out, but it certainly sounds like there was nothing negotiated with the BFI prior to the announcement.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#545 Post by tenia » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:22 pm

rapta wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:32 pm
I have just noticed that the BFI are releasing The Umbrellas of Cherbourg theatrically with help from Janus Films...so maybe they are allowing Criterion to release Rochefort as a box set only deal? Seems a bit unlikely though.
I thought about such a possibility, but it'd mean the individual BD release would be completely different from the boxset one (supposing the Criterion boxset would be the usual 1:1 port of the US one, minus BBFC logo and region-locking adjustment), which wouldn't make any sense from a consumer perspective.
The only other possibility is if Criterion replace their disc by the BFI one, but it'd be soooooo far from something Criterion would do, I absolutely wouldn't bet on it.

TMDaines

#546 Post by TMDaines » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:31 am

Already have the Demy box. Packaging was horrendous to get across the Atlantic in one piece though.

rapta

#547 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:16 pm

Calvin wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:20 pm
The BFI are looking into it; whether or not the Criterion release can proceed based on the existing licence agreements I guess we'll find out, but it certainly sounds like there was nothing negotiated with the BFI prior to the announcement.
Well if BFI weren't consulted at all, I reckon this could be another cancelled release. How many times has this happened now? You would think Criterion would have hired one of us dummies by now just to tell them if there's already a film actively on the market or not.

organica

#548 Post by organica » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi folks -

I'm new to these forums, and unused to ordering Criterion stuff to the UK, so I thought I'd post this on the UK thread, although it's not strictly speaking a UK release.

It appears I'm only a year late in realising that Criterion have an Ingmar Bergman Blu-Ray box set out - 39 films, region free. This is tremendous news for me, but it looks like it has to be ordered from the U.S.

What would be the best ( cheapest, simplest ) way to order this fantastic item for someone living in the UK?

rapta

#549 Post by rapta » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:14 pm

Just thought I'd mention there are some great deals on Criterion titles at the moment. The biggest and best savings are The Before Trilogy and The Koker Trilogy for £42 each from HMV, Zoom and Amazon.

Also at this time of writing, HMV have Cuaron's Roma on pre-order for just £17.99 (and Amazon have price-matched them).
organica wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:36 pm
Hi folks -

I'm new to these forums, and unused to ordering Criterion stuff to the UK, so I thought I'd post this on the UK thread, although it's not strictly speaking a UK release.

It appears I'm only a year late in realising that Criterion have an Ingmar Bergman Blu-Ray box set out - 39 films, region free. This is tremendous news for me, but it looks like it has to be ordered from the U.S.

What would be the best ( cheapest, simplest ) way to order this fantastic item for someone living in the UK?
I would recommend getting it from Amazon US rather than buying it through Amazon UK's 'Global Store' programme. The reason for this is - as I found out the hard way - they do not offer partial refunds for damaged products, and should you want to return it you would have to pay extortionate costs and hope they would cover it (all too complicated for me). Amazon US, on the other hand, have been happy to offer partial refunds if an item arrives from them in an undesirable condition (from what I've heard).

Only saying this because I happily ordered the Bergman set from Amazon UK when they were price-matching Barnes & Noble, and even paid a bit extra for priority shipping, and when it arrived it looked like it was in mint condition. However, when I opened the cellophane, there was a large scratch up the front of the box and a fair bit of splitting to the back near the spine - clearly a manufacturing fault - and when I complained to Amazon all they did was offer to return it for a full refund (which sounded lengthy and complicated, seeing as I would have to ship it back to the US). When I later explained my issue with Criterion themselves, they ignored any mention of a manufacturing defect, and told me I'd have to pay another $30 for a replacement box. So I'm still mulling that particular option as it would obviously make the set slightly more expensive than I'd originally intended.

In short though it's a beautiful set. I already have Tartan's The Seventh Seal, Artificial Eye's Classic Bergman Collection, BFI's The Touch and Arrow's The Serpent's Egg but I don't mind double-dipping as they're mostly different transfers and extras (still wondering if it's worth getting BFI's The Magic Flute too).

organica

#550 Post by organica » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:40 pm

rapta wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:14 pm
Just thought I'd mention there are some great deals on Criterion titles at the moment. The biggest and best savings are The Before Trilogy and The Koker Trilogy for £42 each from HMV, Zoom and Amazon.
Haha - much appreciated! Have just ordered the Koker box. Really fancied it, but £60 was a bit on the steep side - £37.80 with the Zoom signup is much more like it.
rapta wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:14 pm
I would recommend getting it from Amazon US rather than buying it through Amazon UK's 'Global Store' programme. The reason for this is - as I found out the hard way - they do not offer partial refunds for damaged products, and should you want to return it you would have to pay extortionate costs and hope they would cover it (all too complicated for me). Amazon US, on the other hand, have been happy to offer partial refunds if an item arrives from them in an undesirable condition (from what I've heard).
It also looks like the price on the US store is about £25 less than via Amazon UK - even including the import fees deposits. Am kind of wondering if there's a catch here, since the seller on the UK site is none other than... Amazon US...

But seeing the only Bergmans I have are Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries on DVD, the whole deal looks like an easy decision.